Demolished Streets - Sheaf Avenue

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

In the pictures, just further on from Sheaf Av there is a row of  terrace houses (in line with the river)

Arnside Terrace was part of my window cleaning round many years ago.

I always thought they looked like an afterthought - theres a space there we'll build a row of houses.

Lot's of spaces obviously from bomb damage in the photo's that had never been built on.

loved the pictures of Ann's Rd School and all the terrace houses that were in that area before the big clearences.

I once delivered a wardrobe to one of the terrace houses near Ann's Rd. Winding stair case as soon as you walked in the door 

required we had to remove the sash windows, and slide the thing up some ladders to get it in the house.

We may have met at some time, I lived and worked around Heeley, Abbeydale Road and Meersbrook from 1950 to the early 80's so knew the old area well. Two of our houses in the area were pulled down, one was on Spencer Road just above Anns Road, the other on Clyde Road.

My first job was as a shoe repairer at the Timpson's shop a bit further up Abbeydale Road and I later became manager for a while.

42 minutes ago, Boginspro said:

We may have met at some time, I lived and worked around Heeley, Abbeydale Road and Meersbrook from 1950 to the early 80's so knew the old area well. Two of our houses in the area were pulled down, one was on Spencer Road just above Anns Road, the other on Clyde Road.

My first job was as a shoe repairer at the Timpson's shop a bit further up Abbeydale Road and I later became manager for a while.

Small world - you never know. your a little older than me.

We didn't come down here till the 1960's and left in 89.

My Aunty lived on Springwood rd, her kids went to Ann's rd.

I can remember the whole clearence area's around there well.

We lived on Randall St, the terrace houses in that area suffered the same fate.

Apart from the outside toilets and no bathroom except for the tin bath hanging on the 

block of fours outside wall there was nothing wrong with the houses themselves in my opinion.

I bought my first big bike (650 BSA) from one of the terrace house on Broadfield Rd just down from 

Clyde Rd.

can you still by big bikes for £70 ?

Happy Daze

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Apart from the outside toilets and no bathroom except for the tin bath hanging on the 

block of fours outside wall there was nothing wrong with the houses themselves in my opinion.

I bought my first big bike (650 BSA) from one of the terrace house on Broadfield Rd just down from Clyde Rd.

can you still by big bikes for £70 ?

Likewise there was nothing wrong with our houses, one went because of the river flooding but they built on the same site, the other went for the link road that was never built.

I had a couple of 650 BSA combinations after years on Ariel VB's but my first bike was an OEC 350cc twin port single. I would love to have any of them back now but haven't got enough brass. I could never get interested in Japanese bikes.

Edited by Boginspro

2 hours ago, Boginspro said:

Likewise there was nothing wrong with our houses, one went because of the river flooding but they built on the same site, the other went for the link road that was never built.

I had a couple of 650 BSA combinations after years on Ariel VB's but my first bike was an OEC 350cc twin port single. I would love to have any of them back now but haven't got enough brass. I could never get interested in Japanese bikes.

first bike was the A10 with sidecar and L plates. i kept to British bikes as long as i could, our kid went Japanese & i eventually had to agree with him technology was a good thing and bought a big Suzuki.

I'll go back on subject not to upset anyone on here!

I can remember when they pulled Franklin St and the Landsdown Rd area down the amount of abandoned vehicles that were left was unreal. wish i'd have got the Zepplin (bullet) sidecar that someone had left.  

Gasmask's and Tommy helmets were everywhere.