Demolished Streets - Sheaf Avenue

Thanks for the map. Amazing how, on paper, sheaf avenue looks much neater and ordered than I remember it being ..almost as if it was planned!

Thanks Hillsboro for introducing me to  Kelly's directory. It seems to be an invaluable source of info. I'm overwhelmed at the entry you found in the 1939 edition.

Hi PCOLE - the "1939 Register" isn't actually a Kelly's publication; it was prepared in September 1939, soon after the outbreak of war, to provide a detailed list of all the people. The information was used to issue identity cards,  ration books etc. Regarding the occupants of No 8, in case it's of interest other public records show that Roy Morrell married Leonora Wallace in Sheffield in 1936 and they seem to have had two children born in Sheffield. These were  Peter and Patricia born in 1943 and 1949 respectively. Roy died in 1969 and Leonora in 1989.

On 26/11/2019 at 22:44, PCOLE said:

.When I was young, Sheaf Avenue didn't appear on any contemporary maps..... Wonder why it disappeared?.  On my wedding day,, the florist drove to Millhouses Park. Similarly with the limo! 

My ancestors lived at 11 Sheaf Bank in 1881.  Was this in the same area?    I realise that the River Sheaf is quite long,  but as my family always lived in the Heeley area I wondered if Sheaf Bank may have been renamed Sheaf Avenue.

On 04/12/2019 at 19:03, Ava said:

My ancestors lived at 11 Sheaf Bank in 1881.  Was this in the same area?    I realise that the River Sheaf is quite long,  but as my family always lived in the Heeley area I wondered if Sheaf Bank may have been renamed Sheaf Avenue.

Hello  Ava, that's a different place, Sheaf Bank runs off Gleadless Road at the side of the Sheaf View pub. Here is an early 20th century map.   EDIT just close the pop up thing down to see the map and then you can use the slider bottom left to bring up a modern map over the old one.   ----- https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.3624&lon=-1.4721&layers=168&b=1

Edited by Boginspro

21 hours ago, Boginspro said:

Hello  Ava, that's a different place, Sheaf Bank runs off Gleadless Road at the side of the Sheaf View pub. Here is an early 20th century map.   EDIT just close the pop up thing down to see the map and then you can use the slider bottom left to bring up a modern map over the old one.   ----- https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.3624&lon=-1.4721&layers=168&b=1

Thank you Boginspro, this is so interesting.  

On 26/11/2019 at 22:44, PCOLE said:

I'm humbled at realising there are quite a few of really good local historians out there!

On 03/12/2019 at 21:54, PCOLE said:

.When I was young, Sheaf Avenue didn't appear on any contemporary maps..... Wonder why it disappeared?.  On my wedding day,, the florist drove to Millhouses Park. Similarly with the limo! 

Well I delivered milk in the 70's & 80's and had a good chunk of my window cleaning round around that area, but never knew there had been houses up that alley.

We didn't come to sheffield till about 66 so bit of an excuse. Everybody knew Butterworth's Penny Farthing on Abbeydale Rd which was a little further down the road. 

I worked for the co-op on Archer road but used to turn up Gatefield road (on variouse Motorcycles) past the Pet shop on the courner, blast up Sandford Grove Rd which had (has) 2 nice sweeping right hand bends near the top before taking the sweeping downhill left hander of Archer Lane followed by the left & right bends at the bottom of it before turning on to Banerdale Rd which would take me back to the junction of Abbeydale Rd and straight up Archer Rd,  down the cobbled drive to the Dairy. I google maped the section of Abbeydale Rd where Sheaf Avenue was and from zooming in on the  the satalite image and you can view the piece of land that would have held the houses. Just for the fun of it I've just street imaged my drive up the detour route that used to take me to work. For a moment I was back on my BSA C15. Happy Daze - for anyone who I woke up at 4am back then I apologise.  LOL

PS: while using the Google street image I was thinking, Bought a Reliant Regal Van from there (Gatefield Rd) bought a Triumph T100 Chopper from there (Marden Rd), mate used to live there (Sandford Grove) Tall Paul where are you? Friend from School lived there (Sandford), one of the lads fell of ladders there (Ashland Rd), bought my first Caravan there (massive thing)( Brincliffe Edge Rd) one of the lads twisted the propshaft of an Electric Milkfloat there (Banerdale Rd - Dont Ask!) 

Happy Daze indeed.

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong word used

On 24/11/2019 at 15:59, PCOLE said:

PCOLE1

I have come  late into this conversation, but I  have lots of memories and a few pictures of growing up in Sheaf Avenue.  I lived at number 8 for 20 years between 1949 to 1969, and for a year after getting married, I lived at number 3.   My mum continued to live at number 8 for some years before the site was sold and all the houses demolished. The  only access in and out of Sheaf Avenue was via the alley between 607 and 611 Abbeydale Road.  The rear of my dad's dark green 1100  car is caught on the 1966 picture link posted by hillsbro.  The factories  shown in the picture were in Heeley on  the other side of the river wall.

Sheaf Avenue can be seen on some of the 1952 aerial images at the link below. You may have to register to get a good zoom but it's free and well worth it.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=Heeley&country=global&year=all

4 hours ago, Boginspro said:

Sheaf Avenue can be seen on some of the 1952 aerial images at the link below. You may have to register to get a good zoom but it's free and well worth it.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=Heeley&country=global&year=all

Excellent find, well done.

in the pictures, just further on from Sheaf Av there is a row of  terrace houses (in line with the river)

Arnside Terrace was part of my window cleaning round many years ago.

I always thought they looked like an afterthought - theres a space there we'll build a row of houses.

Lot's of spaces obviously from bomb damage in the photo's that had never been built on.

loved the pictures of Ann's Rd School and all the terrace houses that were in that area before the big clearences.

I once delivered a wardrobe to one of the terrace houses near Ann's Rd. Winding stair case as soon as you walked in the door 

required we had to remove the sash windows, and slide the thing up some ladders to get it in the house.

Old guy only told us he was going to have to do the same thing in a fortnights time coz they were being moved.!

Happy Daze.