Demolished Streets - Sheaf Avenue

Hello All

Can anyone remember where Sheaf Avenue was?

I am tracing my roots and discovered my aunt

was living on Sheaf Avenue when she died. We cannot find Sheaf Avenue on any current map. Would appreciate any help.

Bethany 1 from cold and snowy Pennsylvania.

Sheaf Avenue was near the junction of Abbeydale Road and Gatefield Road - here's a map dating from the 1950s. In the early 1900s it was known as Sheaf Terrace - here is a sample scan from the 1901 census return. :)

Edited by hillsbro

I have an old map which lists it in the index as being in Nether Edge. However, it doesn't actually show it on the map. Somewhere around the Ashland Rd. area if it is to be believed.

Hello Hillsbro

Thank, you very much, you really have a wealth of information, and I certainly do appreciate your help.

Bethany1- more snow on the way to add to the three feet from last week.

---------- Post added 12-02-2016 at 15:13 ----------

DearJmdee, Many thanks for your help. These old maps are priceless aren't

they.? I was in Sheffield last month , wish I had thought to pick up a few from Family History center.

Bethany1 from Snowy Pennsylvania

Fascinating stuff. Who would have thought this little alley would have incorporated nine houses. Using 'Hillsboro's map' and the satellite image, here is the location and roughly how the nine houses were situated: Sheaf Ave

Edit... twelve houses then.....just noticed no's 12,14 and 16 at the bottom of the map. I wonder if there was another point of access rather than just the paths at the side of no's 2 & 10

Edited by handypandy

It's interesting to see your photo, handypandy - here is a link to a 1966 photo on the picturesheffield.com site.

PCOLE1

I have come  late into this conversation, but I  have lots of memories and a few pictures of growing up in Sheaf Avenue.  I lived at number 8 for 20 years between 1949 to 1969, and for a year after getting married, I lived at number 3.   My mum continued to live at number 8 for some years before the site was sold and all the houses demolished. The  only access in and out of Sheaf Avenue was via the alley between 607 and 611 Abbeydale Road.  The rear of my dad's dark green 1100  car is caught on the 1966 picture link posted by hillsbro.  The factories  shown in the picture were in Heeley on  the other side of the river wall.

Thanks so much for this hillsbro - I had no idea such detailed info was available for1957 and it has brought back many memories.   I recognise all the families on the link except those in nos 4, and 7.  During  21 years occupancy -( 30% of my life!), I do not recall any children ever living in 12, `14 or 16 (the second yard off the passage) but in 1957, in nos. 2-10 -  our yard, there were 16 children, which I think rather makes up for any shortfall!

2 hours ago, PCOLE said:

Thanks so much for this hillsbro - I had no idea such detailed info was available for1957 and it has brought back many memories.   I recognise all the families on the link except those in nos 4, and 7.  During  21 years occupancy -( 30% of my life!), I do not recall any children ever living in 12, `14 or 16 (the second yard off the passage) but in 1957, in nos. 2-10 -  our yard, there were 16 children, which I think rather makes up for any shortfall!

Bottom right hand corner, you'll hardly need telling.

post-188-1220901055.jpg

19 hours ago, PCOLE said:

Thanks so much for this hillsbro - I had no idea such detailed info was available for1957 and it has brought back many memories...

Kelly's directories provide this sort of information and can be useful for family and local history researchers. The "1939 Register" includes a little more information such as dates of birth etc. Here is the entry for No 8 Sheaf Avenue. https://i.postimg.cc/s2yfjLtQ/Sheaf-2.jpg

21 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Bottom right hand corner, you'll hardly need telling.

post-188-1220901055.jpg