Unable to connect to wifi hotspots with new smartphone

Some help wanted please.

I've recently got a sony xperia M4 aqua smartphone, I can connect to my home network which is EE, to access internet with no problems. However, I am unable to connect to public free wifi hotspots. At home, the phone picks up a BTWifi-with-fon hotspot, which it will connect to, but as soon as I type in a webpage to search for, it tells me that the connection is not private and refuses to connect to a page. Whilst at home, obviously not a problem, but I want to use the phone when I am out. When I have checked out what could be wrong, google seems to direct me to the fact that the preinstalled AVG antivirus may be causing the block(the firewall). Having checked on the AVG website, I am no wiser as to the exact nature of the problem or what I need to do to rectify it. The operating system is Android 5.

Would be grateful if anyone able to guide me

Some help wanted please.

I've recently got a sony xperia M4 aqua smartphone, I can connect to my home network which is EE, to access internet with no problems. However, I am unable to connect to public free wifi hotspots. At home, the phone picks up a BTWifi-with-fon hotspot, which it will connect to, but as soon as I type in a webpage to search for, it tells me that the connection is not private and refuses to connect to a page. Whilst at home, obviously not a problem, but I want to use the phone when I am out. When I have checked out what could be wrong, google seems to direct me to the fact that the preinstalled AVG antivirus may be causing the block(the firewall). Having checked on the AVG website, I am no wiser as to the exact nature of the problem or what I need to do to rectify it. The operating system is Android 5.

Don't you have to be with BT to use BTfon?

Don't you have to be with BT to use BTfon?

Yes, unless you're a BT customer, or paying a fee to use them, you cannot use "BTWiFi" or "BT-FON"....

if you're a BT customer, then you just enter your username/pass etc, and it gives you access..

Some help wanted please.

Got the same phone on Monday - have been able to connect to "The Cloud" free wifi in one of the local pubs without any problem - as people have said BT with Fon needs to be paid for.

On my previous phone the Chrome browser did sometimes come up with a not private message when trying to access some hot spots - I downloaded Firefox and have never had any trouble with that.

Doh!!

Thank you, I've just checked on the BT wi fi website help and yes you do have to be a BT customer to access it - I didn't think to check their website as my phone was showing that it was connected to the network, so I was thinking it was a problem with my phone.

Again, thanks.

Just to expand on this topic, have an I phone 5 that will connect to wifi no problem ... But it won't connect to free wifi ... Eg in the pub , it says unable to connect ! If I take an iPad it works fine , it's on Virgin anybody got any suggestions ?

You may need a password to access the pub's wifi.

The hairdresser my wife goes to has free wi fi but you have to ask for the password

If it were open every tom dick and harry could log on through their router.

In fact there is an hotel near us whose wi fi is open and you can sit outside in the street and and access the net for free!

Over the last two years I've accessed about 40 different hot spots in pubs, hotels, campsites, ferries, service stations, restaurants etc in this country and on the continent - mainly free although some paid.

My android phone and tablet have managed to connect to all of them - with varying degrees of ease / difficulty. I have found that Chrome can be "picky" whereas I've never had trouble with Firefox - so now I always log on with Firefox although will boot up Chrome for bookmarked sites eg SF.

Over the last two years I've accessed about 40 different hot spots in pubs, hotels, campsites, ferries, service stations, restaurants etc in this country and on the continent - mainly free although some paid.

My android phone and tablet have managed to connect to all of them - with varying degrees of ease / difficulty. I have found that Chrome can be "picky" whereas I've never had trouble with Firefox - so now I always log on with Firefox although will boot up Chrome for bookmarked sites eg SF.

The browser (Chrome / Firefox etc) has no effect or baring wether or not your computer will connect to wifi!