What Is Fishing Like On Porter Brook?

MikeFrank

Fishing at wiremill dam, I've never seen anyone fish a dam downstream of there. Article below from the latest newsletter of the Friends of Porter Valley:

"Fishing is the largest participant sport/leisure pursuit in the country and on a warm summer’s day there

is no place I’d rather be than down at Wire Mill Dam. It’s a good job really as I have to call in 2 or 3

times a day to see who’s fishing and most importantly to make sure they’re catching a few fish; anglers

won’t keep coming back if they don’t get their net wet! I took on the fishing rights for the dam in 2007

and in the first couple of years it was a matter of clearing out a lot of rubbish and a big build up of

leaves. The fish were stunted (not growing) due to poor water conditions. I regularly check on the goit

and clear some obstructions but the manpower of the Friends of Porter Valley make a huge difference

in keeping water flowing into the dam.

Wire Mill had always been a bit of a novice’s pond, but the real challenge is to hook one of the large

carp that have been in the dam for over 20 years. It’s great to see someone catch the 16lb ghost carp

and pose for the obligatory photo or two. Passers-by watch in amazement having never seen a fish so

big especially in a council park pond. To add to the large number of roach, perch, bream, tench and

crucian carp that are in the dam, I stocked it with 200 new common and mirror carp back in March last

year. These fish are thriving and have already doubled in size, giving great sport for the more

experienced angler.

All are welcome at the dam, just sit yourself down and start fishing. I’ll see you at some point and have

a chat. There’s a good bunch of regular anglers who are always eager to advise you on how to catch a

few fish!! If you’ve never fished before and want to give it a try, then give me a call on 07809 172872,

and we can arrange an hour’s fishing lesson to get you started."

Lovely to hear that someone is making a big impact on keeping the fishing alive in the wiremill dam as I'm pretty sure without your intervention the pond would be in a sorry state & choked up with leaves & rubbish. I used to watch people fish in a fantastic private pond called crabtree pond on Barnsley Road but the council took it over & now it is a lifeless puddle.

Fishing at wiremill dam, I've never seen anyone fish a dam downstream of there. Article below from the latest newsletter of the Friends of Porter Valley:

"Fishing is the largest participant sport/leisure pursuit in the country and on a warm summer’s day there

is no place I’d rather be than down at Wire Mill Dam. It’s a good job really as I have to call in 2 or 3

times a day to see who’s fishing and most importantly to make sure they’re catching a few fish; anglers

won’t keep coming back if they don’t get their net wet! I took on the fishing rights for the dam in 2007

and in the first couple of years it was a matter of clearing out a lot of rubbish and a big build up of

leaves. The fish were stunted (not growing) due to poor water conditions. I regularly check on the goit

and clear some obstructions but the manpower of the Friends of Porter Valley make a huge difference

in keeping water flowing into the dam.

Wire Mill had always been a bit of a novice’s pond, but the real challenge is to hook one of the large

carp that have been in the dam for over 20 years. It’s great to see someone catch the 16lb ghost carp

and pose for the obligatory photo or two. Passers-by watch in amazement having never seen a fish so

big especially in a council park pond. To add to the large number of roach, perch, bream, tench and

crucian carp that are in the dam, I stocked it with 200 new common and mirror carp back in March last

year. These fish are thriving and have already doubled in size, giving great sport for the more

experienced angler.

All are welcome at the dam, just sit yourself down and start fishing. I’ll see you at some point and have

a chat. There’s a good bunch of regular anglers who are always eager to advise you on how to catch a

few fish!! If you’ve never fished before and want to give it a try, then give me a call on 07809 172872,

and we can arrange an hour’s fishing lesson to get you started."

ok thanks for that

• 1 month later...

In the drought of 1976 the porter virtually dried up .In the early 80's a huge

flood (10 ft plus at Napier st) washed a lot of fish down stream but seemed

to clean the river somewhat.We found roach & gudgeon in the toolroom

cellar.

Five years later the river was alive with small trout from the bottom of the

Moor to well upstream of Tinmill dam.

Is'nt nature amazing (given the chance it deserves).

Yes I know its all history now but someone may find it interesting

Edited by dajomi