Latest holiday rip off

I thought we'd seen every way of extracting money from holiday makers.

"Would you like to sit together? That'll be X£"

"Would you like leg room? That'll be X£"

"Do you want to use the drop zone at the airport? That'll be X£"

"Put that water in that box, then we can sell you some more at X£"

"Do you want to rent a fridge in your room? That'll be X£"

"Do you want to book an excursion at 3 times the cost of the local travel agents? We are fully insured." By the way we've booked at the local travel agents in the past, and finished up on the same coach the rep tried to sell us.

"Do you want to rent the safe in your room?" No I've got no bloody money left.

I've just had another one on a recent trip to southern Spain, we normally request a west facing room to get the sun in the evening on the balcony, sometime we get one, sometimes we don't, no problem.

this time when we got there we were allocated a room east facing, we asked," is there a west facing one available? " and were told there was, 3 euros a day each. 42 euros a week. They had a good laugh when I asked, would I get my money back if the sun doesn't shine. Then told me to push off, at least that's what it sounded like. ( I made the last bit up).

Rant over.

Don't request A West facing room then you have not let them know that you would prefer one. No extra charge on the bill for getting what you would like. Me I prefer east facing for the morning sun but hey ho go with the flo.

Don't request A West facing room then you have not let them know that you would prefer one. No extra charge on the bill for getting what you would like. Me I prefer east facing for the morning sun but hey ho go with the flo.

Never thought of that, but it's the first time it's happened. But after that we did hey ho and went with the flow.

Im usually up and out, sat at the side of the pool having a coffee the first thing in the morning. So I dont care which way the room faces :P

My kind of holiday is at home relaxing doing nothing.....NOTHING. Try it sometimes.

"Do you want to book an excursion at 3 times the cost of the local travel agents? We are fully insured." By the way we've booked at the local travel agents in the past, and finished up on the same coach the rep tried to sell us.

I've just had another one on a recent trip to southern Spain, we normally request a west facing room to get the sun in the evening on the balcony, sometime we get one, sometimes we don't, no problem.

this time when we got there we were allocated a room east facing, we asked," is there a west facing one available? " and were told there was, 3 euros a day each. 42 euros a week. They had a good laugh when I asked, would I get my money back if the sun doesn't shine. Then told me to push off, at least that's what it sounded like. ( I made the last bit up).

Rant over.

It's the way of the world I'm afraid, money is God and it seems like joe public is fair game.

Angel1.

It's the whole point of capitalism - why should you get something for free if someone can make money out of you?

Personally i just just book what we are after in advance. Not hard to do with tripadvisor, fly on cheapo airlines which are not great but all cash saved to spend on the stuff you want when you get there. There's no excuse for not being your own travel agent imo and if you can't be bothered then expect to get hosed on extras.

This is usually avoidable. The likes of EasyJet, Ryanair etc don't let you check-in online until 7 days before flying however they do offer you the opportunity to guarantee seats next to each other around 30 days before flying.....at a cost per seat!

I've always managed to book seats together for free as long as I check-in as soon as possible at the 7 day point. The one time I left it until 3 or 4 days before was when we ended up at opposite ends of the aircraft.

We usually don't have to pay extras for things to do with hotels or flights because you can research all that before you go, but the thing that gets me is the attitude of the locals when you get there. A lot of people make a lot of sacrifices in order to afford a holiday, but from what I can see, the locals, I'm sure, always think it's pin money, in other words money you just have left over so therefore you must be rolling in it, so they up the price because they see you as rich.

Not really an issue if you don't have kids? I'm sure the wife can manage without speaking to me for 3hrs?

Leg room is adequate these days on short haul anyway

What's a drop off zone?

I can survive without water for 3hrs at a push

Why would I want a fridge unless of course you are diabetic? To chill wine just put the bottle in the bidet, hmmm!!

"Do you want to book an excursion at 3 times the cost of the local travel agents?

Why would I want to sit on a bus for 4hrs with winging kids and old people taking me to places I don't wish to go in the first place

We are fully insured."

Good, so am I, everybody's happy then?

By the way we've booked at the local travel agents in the past, and finished up on the same coach the rep tried to sell us.

No I just go to the cash point, the better exchange rate makes up for the charge from the bank

Rant over.

Get a south facing then you have the sun all day?

I'll get me coat ... ...

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 09:53 ----------

Ryanair make me laugh ...priority boarding for £3 each. Everybody went for it except the wife and I and three other couples.

Result ... 192 people in the priority boarding queue and 8 of us in 'cattle class' queue.

In the end Ryanair just merged the two queues anyway much to the consternation of the 192 who paid the surcharge.

Conclusion, £576 extra revenue Ryanair have made for what is essentially a futile surcharge for the passenger ....hmm!!!

Personally i just just book what we are after in advance. Not hard to do with tripadvisor, fly on cheapo airlines which are not great but all cash saved to spend on the stuff you want when you get there. There's no excuse for not being your own travel agent imo and if you can't be bothered then expect to get hosed on extras.

One of the penalties of growing old and not being techno savvy I'm afraid. We don't actually pay for most of the things I mentioned, we can for example actually survive for three hours apart. In fact some times she'd pay extra not to sit with me.

As for cheapo airlines one of the few advantages of being retired is we can go anytime, and we've had some great package holidays at short notice a lot cheaper than we could have by booking flights, hotels and transfers separately.