Council flat - serious damp/mould

just wanting abit of advice really

best ways to get rid or anything i can do at council as they alreaddy said theres nothing they can do and that i have to sort it myself

Edited by Groose
spelling

Sadly I've had to deal with this recently as well...

A small dehumidifer has helped. If you don't have an extractor fan in your bathroom. Demand one from them. It took a few attempts for them to put one in our place.

If you can, open the main window a smidge (just slightly off the latch when you are in the flat). Gets some air circulating in there. Also I find mositure traps work. You can get some in poundland at the moment and they were a treat for us.

My flat was terrible with damp and mould, I had the council in who said there wasn't much they could do. I found that the damp/mould only happens on a exterior walls, so I made sure that all furniture is at least 6 inch from the wall to allow air circulation. Try and open windows when drying clothes etc on radiators, basically try and keep your rooms aired.

These work incredibly well in houses with a loft as that is where they are fitted.

The same company supply a different version for flats, but are quite expensive to install because to be done correctly, they need to be ducted into each room.

Condensation/ mould issues can be resolved by keeping the property heated and ventilated, although I appreciate the cost of doing so. There are numerous changes that you can make that don't cost anything and these are outlined in a free fact sheet that I am happy to provide if you follow the link below.

My flat was terrible with damp and mould, I had the council in who said there wasn't much they could do. I found that the damp/mould only happens on a exterior walls, so I made sure that all furniture is at least 6 inch from the wall to allow air circulation. Try and open windows when drying clothes etc on radiators, basically try and keep your rooms aired.

Don't dry clothes in the house if you have a damp problem. The trick is to contain and vent any moisture from cooking, bathing / showering or drying clothes. Keep the house as warm as you can so the walls are warm rather than cold. I don't like my house any warmer than 19 degrees and water doesn't condense on my walls.

If you don't have an extractor in the bathroom open the window fully for a short period of time once you have created steam in the atmosphere. It won't take long before its cleared and you can close the window.

I have managed to dry my washing out side the last few weeks as my tumble dryer is one of those on the fire risk recall. You can get basic tumble dryers quite cheap now, mine is in the garage.

just wanting abit of advice really

best ways to get rid or anything i can do at council as they alreaddy said theres nothing they can do and that i have to sort it myself

Open the windows, ventilate the area.

get a cloth and some bleach and clean mold.

Mold releases spores which if breathed in can be harmful.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 09:16 ----------

These work incredibly well in houses with a loft as that is where they are fitted.

The same company supply a different version for flats, but are quite expensive to install because to be done correctly, they need to be ducted into each room.

Condensation/ mould issues can be resolved by keeping the property heated and ventilated, although I appreciate the cost of doing so. There are numerous changes that you can make that don't cost anything and these are outlined in a free fact sheet that I am happy to provide if you follow the link below.

When i moved into current prop, it took 6 weeks to get faulty boiler fixed. Mould started growing on walls in bathroom. Best way I found was to ventilate area & clean with bleach.

Then I kept heating on a lot and mould didnt return...its expensive but its required.

You don't need to keep the room so warm if you don't generate so much moisture. Its the moisture that condenses on cold walls that causes the mould to grow. If you do generate moisture then close the door to that room and open the window wide to ventilate ie dry the room and atmosphere.

Bleach is fine but you can get mould remover solution.

Contact the environmental health department at your local council -An environmental health officer should inspect your home. They use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System to check if the repair problems are a risk to health and safety.

Environmental health can't take formal enforcement action against the council, but it can:

serve an informal notice telling your housing office to do repair work and

send them a report that sets out what needs to be done to make your home safe

Use your council's complaints procedure if the housing office won't do the work that's needed or doesn't pay attention to the environment health report.

If that's not successful, consider complaining to the Ombudsman or taking court action.

It might be worth figuring out whats causing the damp so you know what to push the council to do.

If it's condensation related then ventilation and heating usually sorts it.

If it's up in the roof, or in weird areas then it could be leak from somewhere.

As mentioned before.

Heating, ventilation when required.

Keep stable temperature all the time, don't let walls go cold.

Don't go complaining, 99% of cases damp and mould is your own fault.

99% of mould especially black mould is when people have the heating on full and dont have windows open to circulate the air, mould on outside walls is condensation and its the person who lives theirs fault nothing to do with faulty buildings.