Footpath from Wadsley Bridge station to Claywheels Lane

Is anybody else out there interested in this happening?

YES! I went looking for this path a couple of years ago (followed the 'public footpath' sign next to the New Bridge Inn). I got to the top of the hill and couldn't find where it went from there. I did wonder if one of the businesses had blocked it off and who would be the right person to ask. If anyone does know who to 'complain' to I'll be happy to lend my voice.

C.

I walk from Birley carr to Sainsburys regularly and its not pleasant walking by a busy main road I often wondered if there was a footpath somewhere cutting off the corner It would be great if this reopened keep us posted

I am not sure if anyone is still interested in this, but I wrote to the Council's Public Rights of Way Group and received a long reply. In summary it says:

1. The station approach (the cobbled road) that runs up from the New Bridge Inn to the old station courtyard at the top is all privately owned.

2. The public footpath runs from the station courtyard, alongside the railway line, and ends on Clay Wheels Lane. The Public Footpath sign outside the New Bridge Inn just points to the start of the path.

3. The owner of the station approach is adamant that access to his land is by permission only and that’s how it was purchased from Railtrack by the previous owner; he has blocked the footpath at the point where it meets the station courtyard by erecting a barricade on his land.

4. In the past the path was mostly used by people crossing the railway line from the houses around Fox Hill Road rather than walking up the station approach. Rail track put a stop to this route by fencing off the railway line. Since then the footpath has hardly ever been used.

5. The council have been left with a cul-de-sac path that fills with rubbish and gets overgrown and have no way to resolve the issue. They have therefore decided to start proceedings to close the path. They have discussed it with Sheffield Ramblers who are not happy, but accept that it's the lesser evil.

So, I am not pleased with this answer, but I don't see what else can be done. Maybe never deal with the businesses at the top of the station approach and force them into bankruptcy? :) In fairness the council rights of way people don't appear to want to have to do this, but are stuck with a situation they can't move forward.

Interesting and in looking more carefully at the OS Map, the public footpath starts from the top of the station approach, it doesn't extend to Halifax Road (as per your post).

My dad and I used this path many years ago it would be a shame if the council closed it surely with a bit of thought and maybe some volunteers to clear it up it could be up and running again . Would the Sheffield Star run a piece on it to bring it to peoples attention?

My dad and I used this path many years ago it would be a shame if the council closed it surely with a bit of thought and maybe some volunteers to clear it up it could be up and running again . Would the Sheffield Star run a piece on it to bring it to peoples attention?

I thought the issue was that it doesn't lead anywhere, as the way through is blocked. So the council think it is better to close it to stop it being used as a tip.

I have received the same letter more or less word for word from the council as chriscalcite, I do not understand how a landowner can restrict access to a public footpath surely this is illegal, there is another path that joins this one, it starts or finishes next to the old chapel of rest building behind the bottom of John Fairest's car park, this has recently been fenced off I would have thought that was illegal, although I have mentioned this path to the council they have ignored the subject so far, I do not intend to let this drop without a fight!!

"chriscalcite" did the council tell you where they got the information that the station approach is only usable with permission of the landowner?

I am not sure if anyone is still interested in this, but I wrote to the Council's Public Rights of Way Group and received a long reply. In summary it says:

1. The station approach (the cobbled road) that runs up from the New Bridge Inn to the old station courtyard at the top is all privately owned.

2. The public footpath runs from the station courtyard, alongside the railway line, and ends on Clay Wheels Lane. The Public Footpath sign outside the New Bridge Inn just points to the start of the path.

3. The owner of the station approach is adamant that access to his land is by permission only and that’s how it was purchased from Railtrack by the previous owner; he has blocked the footpath at the point where it meets the station courtyard by erecting a barricade on his land.

4. In the past the path was mostly used by people crossing the railway line from the houses around Fox Hill Road rather than walking up the station approach. Rail track put a stop to this route by fencing off the railway line. Since then the footpath has hardly ever been used.

5. The council have been left with a cul-de-sac path that fills with rubbish and gets overgrown and have no way to resolve the issue. They have therefore decided to start proceedings to close the path. They have discussed it with Sheffield Ramblers who are not happy, but accept that it's the lesser evil.

So, I am not pleased with this answer, but I don't see what else can be done. Maybe never deal with the businesses at the top of the station approach and force them into bankruptcy? :) In fairness the council rights of way people don't appear to want to have to do this, but are stuck with a situation they can't move forward.

I dont know if a boycott will work though to be honest. What businesses are at the top of station approach? The only one I know that area is John Fairest.

"chriscalcite" did the council tell you where they got the information that the station approach is only usable with permission of the landowner?

From the landowner (a Mr Hague). When I read this I did think, in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies, "well, he would say that wouldn't he" :)

The sequence of events I deduce from the Council letter is that Network Rail(*) sells the land and station approach to a person (unnamed in the letter) who then blocks off the path after a break-in at his premises. The land is later sold to Mr Hague who maintains the blockage and claims that the land has always been private with public access only by permission (which he is refusing to give).

Without sight of the original documents of sale from Network Rail, it's hard to dispute this claim. To my mind, if the land included access to a public footpath, those conditions claimed by Mr Hague might not be correct. It might be worth writing to NR and see if they have the original conditions of sale on file?

(*) not Railtrack as I said in my previous mail.

---------- Post added 22-02-2016 at 13:57 ----------

I dont know if a boycott will work though to be honest. What businesses are at the top of station approach? The only one I know that area is John Fairest.

That was tongue-in-cheek :) Though I would be quite happy to boycott John Fairest forever! (*)

(*) for those that don't know, he's a funeral director.

From the landowner (a Mr Hague). When I read this I did think, in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies, "well, he would say that wouldn't he" :)

The sequence of events I deduce from the Council letter is that Network Rail(*) sells the land and station approach to a person (unnamed in the letter) who then blocks off the path after a break-in at his premises. The land is later sold to Mr Hague who maintains the blockage and claims that the land has always been private with public access only by permission (which he is refusing to give).

Without sight of the original documents of sale from Network Rail, it's hard to dispute this claim. To my mind, if the land included access to a public footpath, those conditions claimed by Mr Hague might not be correct. It might be worth writing to NR and see if they have the original conditions of sale on file?

(*) not Railtrack as I said in my previous mail.

---------- Post added 22-02-2016 at 13:57 ----------

That was tongue-in-cheek :) Though I would be quite happy to boycott John Fairest forever! (*)

(*) for those that don't know, he's a funeral director.

:hihi: fair enough. I never new it was ever a right of way. I remember when I went with my dad to the signal box there. My dad worked on the railways. Wasn't there a station there at one point? For the footie fans.

I have asked the council where they got the information from and again about the other route to the path beside the old chapel of rest and am awaiting a reply, I have also sent for a copy of the deeds for the station approach and I have also written to Network rail to see if they can clear this up.

I think if enough people ask for the path at the side of the old chapel of rest to be cleared and reopened the landowner and the council will realise it would be easier all round to open the station approach.

I have asked the council where they got the information from and again about the other route to the path beside the old chapel of rest and am awaiting a reply, I have also sent for a copy of the deeds for the station approach and I have also written to Network rail to see if they can clear this up.

Hey, you have been busy! I have also written to Network Rail asking if they could divulge the terms regarding public access from the original sale. In theory NR are susceptible to a Freedom of Information request, though for the moment I have just asked politely rather than doing a formal FOI query.

I'm not actually sure myself where the path alongside the chapel of rest runs - I'll have a look at that with a view to responding to the council rights of way team's email to me and ask about it.

You're right though - in the end it probably comes down to how much of a fuss is made. It's just a shame we're without a MP at the moment. Maybe a local councillor could be a useful contact?