Black Swan landlord in the '60s?

Terry was a good pub manager who always put on some really good acts. I saw Joe Cocker, Mungo Jerry, lots of others. I am I right in remembering live acts there at lunchtimes as well?

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 17:16 ----------

Didnt Terry Steeples open the Mulberry in about 1975?

No but a guy who looked a lot like him did, he was an ex copper from Rotherham who was landlord at the Greengate at High Green, can't remember his name but he told me a lot of police stories , when I used to go in the Greengate. He was a dead ringer for Steeples but quite a bit younger. By the way do you remember the Monday lunchtime specials at the Swan, they called them Miners Specials LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

I remember one Friday dinner time when they had just had a new carpet in the bar and this bloke walked in who'd just been to Calcotts for his maggots got a pint of beer sat down and decided to examine his maggots and tipped the full bait box on the new carpet. Steeples went potty and chucked him out

Spent the next two hours hoovering maggots out of his new carpet.

Edited by 10sheds
spelling

I remember Terry Steeples when he was the manager of the Essoldo Cinema in Rotherham. This would be in 1961. His wife was a real good looker.

Yes the Essoldo, previously the Empire, I think Terry's dad actually owned the place and was the previous frontman. ,Terry could always be seen hustling for business with his monkey suit and bowtie at the front of the Cinema. He actually did some live shows there too, I saw Craig Douglas and a .few other non descripts late fifties/ early sixties.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 18:36 ----------

Yes, the beer was crap, but he was a brilliant landlord - put some great entertainment on and very well-known bands.

Sam Smiths was crap wherever it was sold. Used to go to a pub in Dinnington called the Squirrel, same thing good entertainment plus Sam Smiths. Black and Tans were the order of the day for me in both joints :cool:

gfgfgfgfgfgfgfgvyffda

Edited by EdmundH
more Info

That's right there were some really good "turns" at the mucky duck in the seventies... I remember Timebox with Ollie Halsall and Mike Patto... Then later Mike Patto's own band named simply "Patto"...

Check out a book all about the early music scene in Sheffield called "Not Like Proper Job" Terry Steeples has quite a lengthy write up about his contributions in the sixties and early seventies to the local music events .

Yes, the beer was crap, but he was a brilliant landlord - put some great entertainment on and very well-known bands.

Saw some great bands there. I was a regular most weekends regardless of who was on. Status Quo, Vinegar Joe with Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks, Ducks de Luxe, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood some of who I'd never heard of before I saw them.

Terry was very canny. I can remember more than one occasion when Terry announced "the band haven't turned up" when in all probability they hadn't been booked in the first place. I had a friend in the band Stackridge and another who played with Andy Bown. on separate occasions both bands were advertised at the Black Swan but in fact had gigs elsewhere on the same night.

On both occasions the audience were treated to Terry sitting on stage playing the bands records with his "lively" links between. A show probably worth the ticket money anyway- he could've taken the show on the road and had a decent stab at success.

No but a guy who looked a lot like him did, he was an ex copper from Rotherham who was landlord at the Greengate at High Green, can't remember his name but he told me a lot of police stories , when I used to go in the Greengate. He was a dead ringer for Steeples but quite a bit younger. By the way do you remember the Monday lunchtime specials at the Swan, they called them Miners Specials LOL

You are right, the guy was called Mick, would be late 60s/70 now. Nice bloke. It was the miners specials I was thinking of. When I first went there were groups later it became go go dancers.

And his Sunday lunch time entertainment was not to be sniffed at.

Cheeky :blush:

Yes the Essoldo, previously the Empire, I think Terry's dad actually owned the place and was the previous frontman. Terry could always be seen hustling for business with his monkey suit and bowtie at the front of the Cinema. He actually did some live shows there too, I saw Craig Douglas and a few other non descripts late fifties/ early sixties.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 18:36 ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Emile Ford there on stage . I also saw The Flea Rekkers (one hit wonder - Sunday Date) there. They were also on stage, A friend of mine appeared in The King and I on stage there. I think that was by the Steel Peach & Tozer Operatic Society. They were good times

Edited by Nigel Womersle
Wrong spelling of a word - appeared.

You are right, the guy was called Mick, would be late 60s/70 now. Nice bloke. It was the miners specials I was thinking of. When I first went there were groups later it became go go dancers.

Mick Lee, he had the Greengate at High Green, then he went to a nightlclub in Derbyshire (Fiveways?) he then went to open Mulberry in 1976. Good landlord, like a lot of others at the time victim of lousy brewery management. Looked a lot like Terry, a younger version.

I worked with Terry Steeples Father in Law in the Steelworks. Terry was one of the old fashioned entreprenural showman who never stopped coming up with new ideas to attract customers.One time he had the Kon Tiki boat on show at the Rotherham Essoldo. He also had a gift of getting top acts to appear at the places he managed & many people saw stars & bands that they would have never seen if it hadn't been for him. A great character missed by many.

Happy Days! PopT