Keeping up with the Khans, Thursday 9pm on Ch4

i doubt 12k but not far off, most seem to be up for sale at the moment.

£12k? Then don't tell Penistone:D

Where?!!!

I've checked on Rightmove and the houses in Page Hall are going for £38k+ :suspect:

Edited by poppet2

I see this area twice a day. I wish I could film it and sell the footage some days it was far better than the programme altho they accurately portrayed what a dump it is and how people live there (newer residents generally )

I've seen drug fights, open drug dealing, mattresses and rubbish being g thrown into the woods nearby, kids running out into the road regularly. I've been abused and threatened for asking someone why they pulled up their car with no warning to chat to their friend stood in the road. I've had people block the road rather than let you through a gap so you have to turn round and take another route. I've seen numerous police cars drive by taking no notice of stuff going on and ignoring people driving with phones and no seat belts on. All of life's rich tapestry goes on down there. Dead sheep carcasses thrown on floor outside the food store early one morning. Rats under the fruit display outside one of the shops.

Double parking, triple parking. Parking on zebras. Spitting of the finest order, littering in front of the council guys picking it up.

I'd like to see it in 50 or 100 years time, it might just be an open sewer by then.

Edited by ChrisT70

I see this area twice a day. I wish I could film it and sell the footage some days it was far better than the programme altho they accurately portrayed what a dump it is and how people live there (newer residents generally )

I've seen drug fights, open drug dealing, mattresses and rubbish being g thrown into the woods nearby, kids running out into the road regularly. I've been abused and threatened for asking someone why they pulled up their car with no warning to chat to their friend stood in the road. I've had people block the road rather than let you through a gap so you have to turn round and take another route. I've seen numerous police cars drive by taking no notice of stuff going on and ignoring people driving with phones and no seat belts on. All of life's rich tapestry goes on down there. Dead sheep carcasses thrown on floor outside the food store early one morning. Rats under the fruit display outside one of the shops.

Double parking, triple parking. Parking on zebras. Spitting of the finest order, littering in front of the council guys picking it up.

I'd like to see it in 50 or 100 years time, it might just be an open sewer by then.

I wonder, if, when they arrive here, there is anyone helping them with information as to how the British do things, how they should do things if they want to fit in, what's expected of them, and how unpopular they will be if they don't conform. Also, what is considered an civil offence in this country, which may be very different to theirs.

Failing that, public health should be ready to act, and the police should come down on them like a ton of bricks. And that includes unsatisfactory Landlords, and the like.

To be honest I can't remember the details, and with this question I think the details are important.

If it gives him an opportunity to integrate into work and British society, by, for example, improving his English and learning about our way of life and work, and helped by his employers and the Home Office with visits etc, then unpaid might be appropriate for a short period of time. However with his enthusiasm, willingness to learn and work ethic I don't think he should be unpaid for long.

However, if he's going to be thrown in at the deep end in a big organisation simply as fodder, with little help, and expected to do the job from day one, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be paid.

It's a question of appropriate placement. I suspect though that people like Omar are often taken advantage of.

blah blah,

let's make it simple...

Scenario for you Anna: OK you are the owner of a clothes/fashion type store with 10 staff. You want one more because you are busy.

Of these people, which one would you take on if the information from your interviews was as follows:

1. A lad called Omar, who can communicate well, is friendly, confident, shows extreme willingness to work, and has work experience in a shop similar to yours for nothing as an 'apprentice' for x months.

2. Me. (assume I'm just like I am on here :D)

3. That bra-thing that was on the show.

4-9. People who are sent from the job centre, who just grunt when you ask them a question.

10. Mr Z - who is the same age as Omar, seems nice, from the UK, but never done any work at all for 5 years.

-

Which would you give a trial to?

That "bra thing" was funny :-)

Unfortunately that also summed up perfectly some of our own pond life who live there to "help out" the newbies :-)

Is it on again this week ? Anyone know what day ? We have our little soap opera don't we ?

blah blah,

let's make it simple...

Scenario for you Anna: OK you are the owner of a clothes/fashion type store with 10 staff. You want one more because you are busy.

Of these people, which one would you take on if the information from your interviews was as follows:

1. A lad called Omar, who can communicate well, is friendly, confident, shows extreme willingness to work, and has work experience in a shop similar to yours for nothing as an 'apprentice' for x months.

2. Me. (assume I'm just like I am on here :D)

3. That bra-thing that was on the show.

4-9. People who are sent from the job centre, who just grunt when you ask them a question.

10. Mr Z - who is the same age as Omar, seems nice, from the UK, but never done any work at all for 5 years.

-

Which would you give a trial to?

I'd probably give it to Omar, on a weeks trial. But the guy has to live. so I would find out of he was able to get benefits for that week. (He isn't available for work, so I'm not sure how the transition works.)

If he wasn't getting anything, and I was (eg a government grant) I would think it my duty to use this money to see that he was alright. If there was no money from anywhere, I would still think it my duty to make sure he was OK. and do what I could to help him out, be that money or things. I would do this for any employee as part of my responsibility as an employer. A good relationship is the basis of getting the best out of an employee.

After a week, I would assess his potential and either employ him and pay him, or say goodbye.

Is it on again this week ? Anyone know what day ? We have our little soap opera don't we ?

Same day, same time, see OP 's post 1.

she sounded lovely bringing various men over from the internet by the sounds of her was it free or was she charging, made my skin crawl:gag:

Dunno, you tell us, you got the cooties. :D

Omar is on work experience via the job centre, he is being "paid" his job seekers allowance to do the placement. He's earning his benefits and not working for free as such.

I wonder, if, when they arrive here, there is anyone helping them with information as to how the British do things, how they should do things if they want to fit in, what's expected of them, and how unpopular they will be if they don't conform. Also, what is considered an civil offence in this country, which may be very different to theirs.

Failing that, public health should be ready to act, and the police should come down on them like a ton of bricks. And that includes unsatisfactory Landlords, and the like.

There's a Roma community worker in the area. http://www.channel4.com/news/immigration-roma-migrants-bulgaria-romania-slovakia-uk

I think it's outrageous that all these foreigners can come here, claim asylum and then (after a few years) become citizens. They should return home and make a life for themselves there rather from scrounge off British taxpayers.

We can't keep admitting foreign nationals into our great nation. We need to help British people with getting jobs and good housing. There are growing problems with increasing inequality and admitting foreign nationals is adding to the problem.

I'm not comfortable with the invasion of all these people.......keep Britain British.