New Start- Healthy, Nutrition, Fitness, Lose Weight

I'm about to start a new phase in my life, Newly Single, Newly Living Alone, New Me.

I have yet to move into the new place so my kitchen cupboards are empty along with my fridge so I'm looking for advice or someone with nutrition/diet/healthy living to guide me as to what i should be eating and filling my cupboards with

Any help is gratefully recieved

It Would probably help if you gave more info, what's if any health conditions you may have, height weight age etc including lifestyle do you smoke/drink?, do you do any exercise or sports. Plenty of options available but no one can offer an opinion without any of the main individuals basic factors.

I'm about to start a new phase in my life, Newly Single, Newly Living Alone, New Me.

I have yet to move into the new place so my kitchen cupboards are empty along with my fridge so I'm looking for advice or someone with nutrition/diet/healthy living to guide me as to what i should be eating and filling my cupboards with

Any help is gratefully recieved

As was in same situation in sep i will offer my advice. First thing is bodies are made in the kitchen! 90% of your results come from what you put in your mouth. So start with changing diet. If you are not used to exercise introduce that slowly.

Its not a straight line down but ive lost 7lbs since jan 1st. I was ill for a month so that put me back Or would be more. I spent the first few weeks finding out about food.

Ive drastically changed diet. And introduced excercise. I bought some home gym equipment. I havent joined a gym.

Its a lifestyle change not a fad diet. I still eat butter, whole milk, chocolate, pizza...and still drink alcohol.

However 80% of the time im eating natural as possible.

Heres my 6 top tips:

1: stock up water. Drinking more water means i eat less and staying hydrated is key to healthy skin And weight loss.

2: started eating porridge. Keeps you full and is only 250 cals with whole milk. You can buy flavoured stuff. Keeps me going till lunch time.

3: eat more protein. Good quality chicken, fish, lean beef. If vegetarian you can eat quorn.

4: cut down white processed carbs, cut out sugar and salt. Bread and pasta are weight gainers for me..experiment as some tolerate better.

5: eat foods as close to natural form as possible. Anything with long list of ingridients is out. If you have to eat bread avoid the crap from supermarket.

6: if its not in the cupboard you cant eat it!!! Make healthy choices at the supermarket. Make a list And dont shop hungry!

Another thing is find out your bmr..this is the calories needed per day to maintain weight.

Im not anal about counting calories but i aim to go under bmr 5 days per week. The other two days im more relaxed.

Remember health is a lifestyle not a fad diet! I aim to get leaner and lose 1 lbs per week. If i went on a crash diet id lose more weight but would put it back on and likely mess up my metabolism.

Its ok to have cheat meals and days when you dont eat so well, just get back on it next day! Download a weight tracker app. It keeps me motivated to see the graph trending down and i can make notes to see where i put on weight or lost weight.

:)

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 08:17 ----------

It Would probably help if you gave more info, what's if any health conditions you may have, height weight age etc including lifestyle do you smoke/drink?, do you do any exercise or sports. Plenty of options available but no one can offer an opinion without any of the main individuals basic factors.

Smoking is a given. You must stop smoking & not drink to excess! But i disagree about advice. If anyone follows my advice they will lose weight and be more healthy.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 08:23 ----------

The other thing is calories are not counted equal!!! its not quite calories in, calories out. I didnt realise this as a lot of people say you will automatically lose weight with less calories...

its about correct macros and keeping insulin level throughout day. So that means a balanced diet and not eating chocolate to make up calorie intake! It doesnt work like that!!! Lol

But i disagree about advice. If anyone follows my advice they will lose weight and be more healthy.

Anyone? There is a reason every diet and exercise plan, states to see a Doctor before undertaking a diet or exercise.

I personally have lost 15kg in 2 months with a LCHF diet, but I've tailored that to my many medical conditions ranging from diabetes to rheumatoid arthritis, if I followed your advice as a diabetic, I'd probably be in hospital suffering from hyperglycaemia within a week, as porridge spikes my Glucose by several points as does most carbohydrates, saying that my old Diabetic Nurse insisted I had 150-200grams a day carbs and its still preached by many as a one size fits all amount.

There are a lot of undiagnosed type 2 diabetics in the uk, so anyone about to undertake a lifestyle choice by dietary or exercise they really should see their GP and rule out any obstacles first, sorry if this come across as a bit too health and safety but I knew a young lad that went to weightlifting classes, not knowing he had problems with low blood pressure, he passed out lifting weights and injured himself pretty badly doing so.

I wouldn't recommend for aiming to be under BMR 5 days a week.

BMR is how much energy you need if you don't move for 24hrs, you use significantly more than that if you're normally active, so by going under it for 5 days a week you're moving into severe calorie deficit, which will trigger a starvation response from your metabolism.

Anyone? There is a reason every diet and exercise plan, states to see a Doctor before undertaking a diet or exercise.

I personally have lost 15kg in 2 months with a LCHF diet, but I've tailored that to my many medical conditions ranging from diabetes to rheumatoid arthritis, if I followed your advice as a diabetic, I'd probably be in hospital suffering from hyperglycaemia within a week, as porridge spikes my Glucose by several points as does most carbohydrates, saying that my old Diabetic Nurse insisted I had 150-200grams a day carbs and its still preached by many as a one size fits all amount.

There are a lot of undiagnosed type 2 diabetics in the uk, so anyone about to undertake a lifestyle choice by dietary or exercise they really should see their GP and rule out any obstacles first, sorry if this come across as a bit too health and safety but I knew a young lad that went to weightlifting classes, not knowing he had problems with low blood pressure, he passed out lifting weights and injured himself pretty badly doing so.

The first thing I'd say is if you are sensitive to glucose don't eat sugar or fruit! Or stuff with sugar in it! That's just common sense and doesn't require a doctor. Humans shouldn't be eating sugar anyway, healthy people too! It's just not needed.

Yes anyone can lose or maintain weight. Because it's not a diet it's a healthy lifestyle change. Part of that is cutting out sugar..sugar and too much salt, those things should be first to go from your cupboard in my opinion.You can get sugars naturally from veg, dairy and a small amount of fruit if required.

I've also seen a drop in body fat and improvement in resting heart rate, blood pressure is good . I'm not sure about blood results as not had done yet.

What you say is true, it's not a one size fits all thing...that's why I think leaving your health in the hands of a doctor is worrying.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 20:37 ----------

I wouldn't recommend for aiming to be under BMR 5 days a week.

BMR is how much energy you need if you don't move for 24hrs, you use significantly more than that if you're normally active, so by going under it for 5 days a week you're moving into severe calorie deficit, which will trigger a starvation response from your metabolism.

You add activity levels on to bmr. So if you are moderately active make compensation for that.

However a lot of people, myself included are very inactive, so working out your bmr is the way to go.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 20:42 ----------

My bmr is 2104 calories per day. I regularly come under that, perhaps at 1500-1800 per day. I don't feel starved or hungry because of the other principles. This is not preaching, just what works for me. I advise anyone who wants to lose weight healthily to experiment.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 20:44 ----------

Just to confirm, the other 2 days are kind of feeding days, I believe it kick starts metabolism from what I've read and seen on fitness channels. Some people have 1 day, but I find it hard to stick to at weekends.

Edited by herbalharry

If you regularly come in under your BMR your body looks for other sources of fuel for energy and will use muscle protein to make up the deficit, so you should lookout for muscle wasting, which may go unnoticed when losing weight.

If you regularly come in under your BMR your body looks for other sources of fuel for energy and will use muscle protein to make up the deficit, so you should lookout for muscle wasting, which may go unnoticed when losing weight.

Eat more protein. And weight train. Like I say I come in over 2 days. I've got a bit to shift so will adjust as weight comes down.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 21:24 ----------

Muscle uses more calories too, resting. Muscle building is key to any fat loss program. Go easy on the cardio.

The first thing I'd say is if you are sensitive to glucose don't eat sugar or fruit! Or stuff with sugar in it! That's just common sense and doesn't require a doctor. Humans shouldn't be eating sugar anyway, healthy people too! It's just not needed.

Sensitive?

It's what you digest all carbohydrates down to anyway.

The only downside of eating it in processed form is the rapid absorption (and it's bad for your teeth).

You add activity levels on to bmr. So if you are moderately active make compensation for that.

However a lot of people, myself included are very inactive, so working out your bmr is the way to go.

I'd suggest that you don't yet have a healthy lifestyle then.

Take up some activity in addition to eating in a healthy way.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 09:47 ----------

Eat more protein. And weight train.

If you eat more protein then you've increased the calories you're consuming.

And if you weight train then you definitely need enough energy to do so.

Muscle uses more calories too, resting. Muscle building is key to any fat loss program. Go easy on the cardio.

Muscles at rest do use more calories, this is correct. But there is no way you'll gain muscle mass whilst on a very low calorie diet.

You'll probably just end up doing yourself damage if you weight train and eat at the levels you're recommending.

Edited by Cyclone

Sensitive?

It's what you digest all carbohydrates down to anyway.

The only downside of eating it in processed form is the rapid absorption (and it's bad for your teeth).

I'd suggest that you don't yet have a healthy lifestyle then.

Take up some activity in addition to eating in a healthy way.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 09:47 ----------

If you eat more protein then you've increased the calories you're consuming.

And if you weight train then you definitely need enough energy to do so.

Muscles at rest do use more calories, this is correct. But there is no way you'll gain muscle mass whilst on a very low calorie diet.

You'll probably just end up doing yourself damage if you weight train and eat at the levels you're recommending.

I'm not on a low calorie diet....

Fact is you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. It's around 3000 calories, approx per pound.

So on my calculations I'm losing around a lb a week. And that's what's happening in reality.

I also think you are overestimating the calorific burn from exercise. A 20 minute walk only burns 100 calories.

More activity is good for health, but that's not the key to losing weight. Most people, like myself are sedentary. Diet is key.

5 days a week at <BMR is low calorie.

Yes, you do need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but not too extreme, if it's extreme then your body will react in a way you don't want AND you won't be able to maintain it.

Change your diet permanently, don't "go on" a diet.

1lb a week is well within the safe zone. But you did say that you do no exercise.

It's possible to be thin and unhealthy.

I wouldn't call a 20 minute walk exercise at all. I'm off to do a 3 hr intense martial arts course this afternoon, I'm probably not over-estimating, we're just talking about different things when we say "activity".

I do agree with you, diet is key to weight.

But, if it's health that you're interested in, and not just weight, then exercise and diet are key to health.

5 days a week at <BMR is low calorie.

Yes, you do need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but not too extreme, if it's extreme then your body will react in a way you don't want AND you won't be able to maintain it.

Change your diet permanently, don't "go on" a diet.

1lb a week is well within the safe zone. But you did say that you do no exercise.

It's possible to be thin and unhealthy.

I wouldn't call a 20 minute walk exercise at all. I'm off to do a 3 hr intense martial arts course this afternoon, I'm probably not over-estimating, we're just talking about different things when we say "activity".

I do agree with you, diet is key to weight.

But, if it's health that you're interested in, and not just weight, then exercise and diet are key to health.

I'm not on a diet. I'm also not about to go to the gym for 3 hours.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 11:10 ----------

If I layed out what I eat between 1500 and 1800 call, its not restrictive at all. Just sensible portions and natural foods.Eating 4 times a day.

Porridge with whole fat milk or almond milk

Banana

Salad with cheese or tuna or roast chicken

Protein drink

Grilled salmon with veg, and a healthy carb or baked potato

Butter and olive oil

Comes in at 1600 kcal

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 11:14 ----------

I suspect most people are consuming too many calories. ..because they overestimate calorie burn from exercise, live mostly sedentary lifestyles and get older, metabolism slows down and need less calories so slowly put on weight....that's what happens.

Edited by herbalharry