Men aged 45-59 least likely to be happy??

And the average mortgage rate is?...

My first mortgage took up a huge proportion of my disposable income. I did without a great many things to buy my first house. It was a worthwhile sacrifice. These days, first time buyers seem to want all mod cons; central heating, double glazing, coordinated furniture, pretty kitchens and bathrooms. Maybe they should lower their expectations. You certainly wouldn't have found those things in the seventies house that you seem to crave.

People in the UK are much wealthier now than in the 70s and 80s. There is no point in blaming the old folks for making money. Get out there and make some of your own.

The actual amount of income an average salary's person buying a house of the average value compared to the same back in 1975 is about the same, but the average salary back in 1975 was worth much more than it is now, due to inflation.

The average salary in 1975 was approx £2200 pa but this is equivalent to £14,000 comparing it to the current cost of living. The average salary today is £26,000 which compared to 1975 has the buying power of £21,000. So an average salary in 1975 was worth more 4 times that of a salary today.

Final salary pension schemes had over 3.3 million people subscribed in 1975 while to date we have just over 1 million people subscribed and all but a few schemes do not take new members.

This is basically the reason. For a male, when the testosterone drops to a certain level you will definitely know about it by late 40s to 50. It is one thing that makes a man miserable. Loss of sex drive, physical strength, stamina and ultimately confidence. It is the subject men rarely talk about.

If you visit your doc or endocrinologist to have the T levels checked, you will invariably be informed that the levels are correct for a man of your age. Go figure. It is basically an excuse not to prescribe HRT because of the scare stories about risks. Few medics want to accept the responsibility, and quite frankly, that is a tragedy. This is much different in the USA to name just one country.

I would argue something similar, but from a different perspective. I fit into this age group, as do most of my mates. One common theme is the lack of sex that we're getting from women. Most guys love their gals, but a lack of action is causing frustration, in some cases they've started looking elsewhere. It's like they've had the kids, sex is no longer required. The frustration manifests itself in unhappiness.

Sorry if it offends and maybe it says more about who we are than the ladies we are with. Unfortunately, none of us look anything like Brad Pitt

To the fellas in 40s and 50 s

Do you still feel 25 in your head?

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 11:43 ----------

I would argue something similar, but from a different perspective. I fit into this age group, as do most of my mates. One common theme is the lack of sex that we're getting from women. Most guys love their gals, but a lack of action is causing frustration, in some cases they've started looking elsewhere. It's like they've had the kids, sex is no longer required. The frustration manifests itself in unhappiness.

Sorry if it offends and maybe it says more about who we are than the ladies we are with. Unfortunately, none of us look anything like Brad Pitt

Try being single, doesn't get any better!

The actual amount of income an average salary's person buying a house of the average value compared to the same back in 1975 is about the same, but the average salary back in 1975 was worth much more than it is now, due to inflation.

Average salary does not take into account the fact that the income tax rate in the 70's was much higher than today with basic rate around 33% and top rates 70% +. Also inflation in 1970 was at around 6.2% and peaked during the 1973-75 recession to around the 20% mark. It didn't come down to low levels till the beginning of the 80's which happened to be the time when Maggie was prim-minister.

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 13:32 ----------

To the fellas in 40s and 50 s

Do you still feel 25 in your head?

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 11:43 ----------

Try being single, doesn't get any better!

Dam right about that.

Average salary does not take into account the fact that the income tax rate in the 70's was much higher than today with basic rate around 33% and top rates 70% +. Also inflation in 1970 was at around 6.2% and peaked during the 1973-75 recession to around the 20% mark. It didn't come down to low levels till the beginning of the 80's which happened to be the time when Maggie was prim-minister.

The figures I have given factor in inflation, plus I have used average salaries not top earners so the top rate of tax is irrelevant.

Perhaps the 40s is when you start to see serious health concerns rearing their heads? (e.g. prevalence of coronary heart disease comparing the 20-39 bracket with the 40-59 bracket goes up about 10-fold) Before that age serious illnesses are most likely congenital afterwards they start to be physical decline. As a large chunk of the male self identity is based on strength and physical health this possibly hits men harder than women? Then once you hit 70 well you've had your 3 score and 10 years so everything else is a bonus!

Perhaps the 40s is when you start to see serious health concerns rearing their heads? (e.g. prevalence of coronary heart disease comparing the 20-39 bracket with the 40-59 bracket goes up about 10-fold) Before that age serious illnesses are most likely congenital afterwards they start to be physical decline. As a large chunk of the male self identity is based on strength and physical health this possibly hits men harder than women? Then once you hit 70 well you've had your 3 score and 10 years so everything else is a bonus!

i dunno mate i know traithletes in their 40's and 50's regular beating younger guys. Try telling them they are physically less able. :)

on the other hand i see guys in 40's and 50's down the pub, eating the wrong foods. Overweight. dont look healthy and couldnt run 100 yards without getting out of puff.

if you eat healthy, dont drink to excess and smoke, exercise smart, no reason you should put on weight or get diseases in 40's or even 50's (no medical reason anyway).

I do think it takes a lifestyle adjustment which not many people are willing to do. The body needs less calories and you cant train or recover the way you can in 20's.

Edited by herbalharry

Yeah, and eat lots of red meat, but then you'll get cancer.

Or heart disease !

You know what they say - if you don't drink, don't smoke and don't eat food which is supposed to be bad for you - you don't actually live any longer, it just feels like it !

body of a 60 plus year old mind of a 17 year old,what do you expect.

You've hit the nail on the head !

Total refusal of some to accept they have grown older and the sudden realisation one day that they have - hence the depression.

Can you keep t levels high by lifting weights and eating the right foods?

Lack of sleep effects it too. Lack I'm experiencing now! Grrr!

Yes you can. But the issue for older people lifting weights is that they become injury prone. The joints, especially elbow and shoulder are the ones in particular that you would have to be careful with. Bad form when lifting tends to be the issue, together with lifting too heavy before the tendons around the joints are strong enough to cope.

You are never too old to start. The guy in the link began in his 40s when his wife walked out, and he is still going strong in his 70s with his training.

Advice to the male over 40's should be, do some exercise (weights, running, cycling etc), get a decent hobby and get yourself a sexually active partner if possible, as one previous poster suggested, the lack of or reduction in sexual activity for many middle age men makes them grumpier ;)