Parent & Child parking spaces

Why is it difficult for people to understand why these parking spaces exist, have wider spaces and are located close to the doors of the store? I include blue badge holders who feel they can also abuse this facility which is there for 'parents with children', where you need to open the door wide to access the child in their car seat and close to the store so you are not pushing prams across busy car park lanes where shoppers are not thinking about where they are going.

I had a 'conversation' with a 'lady' driving a Mercedes convertible last summer who parked in one at Morrisons without any kids. She was about to drive off ...

"Invisible kids?", I said

"I've got kids, but they're at home", she replied

"Oh, that makes it OK then ...", I asked

Thoughts/experiences anyone?

Same at my local Tesco, Blue badge holders using the Parent and child spaces even when they have no kids with them. Double standards with the Blue badge holders as god forbid you park in the disabled bay with no blue badge.

Me and the OH quite often go shopping in the OH work van.. We once pulled up into a parent and child space at Morrisons in Hillsborough and there was a woman and man putting their shopping and kids in the car next to us giving us dirty looks, it looked like the man was about to make a snide comment at me as I got out of the passenger side but as I opened the back sliding door (no window) to let 3 little monsters get out I then gave him a look as though to say 'problem?'

It does make me chuckle and I don't know why :)

Oh, and I have done it whilst on my own before (in my own car) but it was a genuine mistake! I got that used to being with my daughter that when I go out on my own I still think she's there with me :) but I do move as soon as it dawns on me that I'm on my own..

Edited by Chelle-82

Same at my local Tesco, Blue badge holders using the Parent and child spaces even when they have no kids with them. Double standards with the Blue badge holders as god forbid you park in the disabled bay with no blue badge.

So true :hihi:

Discussed before with no real conclusion:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=672142

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1137878

---------- Post added 01-02-2016 at 16:43 ----------

Me and the OH quite often go shopping in the OH work van.. We once pulled up into a parent and child space at Morrisons in Hillsborough and there was a woman and man putting their shopping and kids in the car next to us giving us dirty looks, it looked like the man was about to make a snide comment at me as I got out of the passenger side but as I opened the back sliding door (no window) to let 3 little monsters get out I then gave him a look as though to say 'problem?'

A works van with adequate passenger seating but no windows? :confused:

Why is it difficult for people to understand why these parking spaces exist, have wider spaces and are located close to the doors of the store?

I had a 'conversation' with a 'lady' driving a Mercedes convertible last summer who parked in one at Morrisons without any kids. She was about to drive off ...

"Invisible kids?", I said

"I've got kids, but they're at home", she replied

"Oh, that makes it OK then ...", I asked

Thoughts/experiences anyone?

Maybe the lady with the convertible Mercedes didn't want her car being scratched by the door of another car as a consequence of the very narrow regular parking spaces in supermarket carparks .

Discussed before with no real conclusion:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=672142

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1137878

---------- Post added 01-02-2016 at 16:43 ----------

A works van with adequate passenger seating but no windows? :confused:

Yip! 6 seater VW transporter.... Not sure what the confusion is? :)

Sorry! can I just add, there are windows just not on the sliding door on the left side of the van! that maybe what confused you???

Edited by Chelle-82

I witness a van parked across two of those spaces at Morrisons a few months ago. Parking in one of those spaces is bad enough, but to take two of the spaces by parking across the bays is pure selfishness. I wished I had taken a picture and publicly shamed the cretin.

I witness a van parked across two of those spaces at Morrisons a few months ago. Parking in one of those spaces is bad enough, but to take two of the spaces by parking across the bays is pure selfishness. I wished I had taken a picture and publicly shamed the cretin.

I think if someone is brazen enough to take up two parking spaces with a van in a parent and child parking zone I don't think you taking pictures of them is going to make a blind bit of difference to their day..

I think if someone is brazen enough to take up two parking spaces with a van in a parent and child parking zone I don't think you taking pictures of them is going to make a blind bit of difference to their day..

Maybe not to them, but with a company name all over the van, I am sure the owner of the company (provided it isn't the culprit) would take a dim view of it particularly if the attracts the company negative press.

Put the spaces at the back of the car park.

If there was ever a group that needed more a bit more exercise it's new mummies with their collapsed pelvic floors and their obese offspring.

:|

Put the spaces at the back of the car park.

If there was ever a group that needed more a bit more exercise it's new mummies with their collapsed pelvic floors and their obese offspring.

:|

I don't have a problem with them put the parking spaces further away however some mums suffer with PGP (me included) and I couldn't walk very far during pregnancy or sometime after. This was not laziness, I just physically couldn't walk faster than snails pace or very far.

Oh and my offspring aren't obese.