Sign in to follow this  

My Isle of Wight 106 km challenge!

Hello!

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it's going here for now I guess.

I’m here to tell you about my*Isle of Wight Challenge*in 2016 and my*biggest fundraising effort*to date. I will be walking a continuous 106 km route around the coastal paths around the Isle of Wight. The challenge is to complete the course (including break stops) within 24 hours.

Please checkout my blog, which I have set up to monitor my progress towards the big day!

I have entered two similar challenges in the past couple of years. In 2013 I attempted to walk a 100 km route from Manchester to Sheffield. I did not finish and had to drop out at 75 km. In 2015 I attempted the London to Brighton 100 km route. I completed this one, but it took 31 hours, so I missed out on the 24 hour challenge.

So why am I doing it again? Well, it’s not just for the fun of it! And apart from attempting to beat the 24 hour mark, I like to raise money for charity. Pushing myself in these types of challenges is a good way to do so.

I have raised money for national and local charities in the past. This time I felt I needed to raise the bar slightly.

My friend is volunteering as a GP for 12 months at the Bwindi Community Hospital in Uganda. The hospital’s Neonatal unit needs a new incubator and other equipment for the babies in the wards there. .

Bwindi Community Hospital*is located*in the South West of Uganda, near the Rwandan and Congolese borders.*Most of the people in the surrounding area are farmers or herders who live without running water and electricity and survive on less than 70 pence a day.

The neonatal unit at Bwindi Community Hospital is always a busy place. There is an average of five premature babies born each month who often require a prolonged length of stay in hospital. Other babies are admitted if they have a low birth weight or problems at birth, such as asphyxia. Ideally all low birth weight or premature babies would be cared for in an incubator.

The unit only currently has one incubator. This means babies sometimes have to share the incubator which can put them at risk of infection or are moved out of the incubator before they are ready. A second incubator would greatly improve the care that the neonatal unit is able to offer to the newborn babies of this area, and that is why I am fundraising!

The cost of an incubator can be anything from £1,500 – £7,000. My target of £2,000 will hopefully get them on their way to purchasing one.

Please visit my*Just Giving page*and donate what you can. If you’re a U.K tax payer, please don’t forget to add gift aid. Please also spread the word of this challenge.

Please also check out my facebook page to keep up with the blog, and my friends blog as she spends a year in Bwindi, volunteering in the hospital.

Thank you!

Duff! :thumbsup::banana::headbang::clap: