Sheffield Shops That Are Now Extinct !!

Spent quite a bit of time in Wilson Peck in Fargate. It was a lovely store and I still remember it when I see the shops that now occupy the space.

I don't remember Wilson Peck ever being on Fargate, it was opposite Fargate on the corner of Barker's Pool and Leopold Street.

Curtess' record stores, one in particular next to the ABC Cinema on Angel Street, and a shoe shop, not the same people perhaps ?

Jackson the Tailor, The Moor and Fargate.

I've been away 33 years and recognise most of the shop names but need my Sheffield Street Index (the blue one circa 1976) to place the street names in my mental map of old Sheffield.

Snig Hill - thanks for reminding me of that one!

Robert Brothers on the Moor.

A cafe in the basement with kiddy rides and a Santa's Grotto at Christmas.

I remember going in Horne's on Angel Street for my lunch in their cafe, can't remember what the cafe was called.

I use to go in because there was this man I thought was really good looking. One day someone who I worked with came with me for lunch and she knew him. She told me he was a homosexual. This was in the 70's.

Horne bros on King st--stylish good quality menswear and great coffee up stairs

Oh just remembered Sidewalk cafe--Chapel walk--people watching Saturday afternoon--but poor coffee

Edited by wagginfinger

Horne bros on King st--stylish good quality menswear and great coffee up stairs

Oh just remembered Sidewalk cafe--Chapel walk--people watching Saturday afternoon--but poor coffee

Could never get in sidewalk cafe it was always packed! Used to shop in Richards clothes shop on the fargate side of chapel walk. Always wanted my hair done at Roger Sherwoods too. On my poor wages no chance!

Revolution record shop on the gallery above where Wilko is now (The last time I went to town the name was still up there).

THAT was a great shop for those rare "prog-rock" albums in the mid-late 70s

Technically not a shop, but i loved the open air shoe market. Had to be down there for about 6-7am on a Friday (i think), to get a good pair of Kickers. You had to be careful though, as the soles on some had been hastily glued, so only lasted a few weeks. And you daren't take them back to complain, as there were some big buggers working there.

Sweet memories of Redgates. In my book Sheffields most iconic store in my 40 years. Loved buying plastic soldiers from every nation.

Could never get in sidewalk cafe it was always packed! Used to shop in Richards clothes shop on the fargate side of chapel walk. Always wanted my hair done at Roger Sherwoods too. On my poor wages no chance!

Harry Fentons, chapel walk, went there for all the mod clothes early 60s.

Also The Army and Navy stores to buy parkas

There was a small store down West Bar, on a side street, that sold mining equipment. I was an avid potholer so I used to go there to buy my caving helmet, lamp, boots and protective clothing.