Sheffield Shops That Are Now Extinct !!

'Shaw's Cafe' was run by former United and England footballer Graham Shaw, with his brother (name I forget) but not other brother Bernard who also played for the Blades, Wolves and Wednesday.

I always thought Graham Shaw started out as a Painter working for T.G. Woof Painting and Decorating

It's 'Tailoress' andrejuan, a correct name-also 'Seamstess' for which ladies of that genre are and I'm sure your Gran was a 'lady'.

Sorry my typo.

I had heard her referred to as both, although I believe it is Seamstress.

Edited by andrejuan

I always thought Graham Shaw started out as a Painter working for T.G. Woof Painting and Decorating

Perhaps Graham did, but I thought the issue was the 'Castle Market' café ?

The other brother was Brian Shaw.

Can anyone help me out?

Probably, which way did you come in? :lol:

I've been racking my brains for years to remember the name of the women's clothes shop on King Street before it was Chelsea Girl. I bought some great clothes there. Can anyone help me out?

Was it "Etam" ?

I've been racking my brains for years to remember the name of the women's clothes shop on King Street before it was Chelsea Girl. I bought some great clothes there. Can anyone help me out?

Biba I think.

At the end of the 50s, short skirts were starting to come in. Previously we'd only shopped at C & A. What shops for teenagers were there in Sheffield end of the 50s/early 60s?

I mentioned this at post 36. It was Andrews on Holly Lane, certainly in the 1950s. Ground floor was art/craft supplies but upstairs was the bookshop. I used to haunt the place, absolutely loved just being there and sometimes actually had a book token or money from birthday/Christmas so I could buy a book, usually Chalet School or Swallows and Amazons. It wasn't "just" an academic book shop.

Somewhere on Sheffield Forum there is a thread or at least some posts about the closure of Andrews and I'm pretty certain a mention that the staff put up a notice saying if people had bought from them instead of Amazon, they wouldn't have closed.

I attended Woodseats School, I was awarded book tokens twice for good results, you had to go to Andrews and pick the books they then delivered them to school for prize giving.

What was the name of the guy with the little shop on Cambridge St, that used to sell the leather jackets and patches etc?

The shop was called Pippys I think. Always smelt of Afghan coats and patchouli.

i remember bird's sports shop on leopold street ,used to get my subbuteo teams there in late 60's,it was a small shop but full of sports gear,always got socks and shorts from there too.

---------- Post added 12-02-2017 at 11:27 ----------

The shop was called Pippys I think. Always smelt of Afghan coats and patchouli.

pippy's was packed to the rafters with afghan coats ,jeans ,belts shirts ,ideal for rockers !! got my afghan coat from there in 75.cant remember the guys name though :( the further you went into shop,the darker it got .

Pippy's was owned by Pip Hayman, went to live in Blackpool some years ago.