Sheffield Shops That Are Now Extinct !!

Habitat on the moor. Lew Burgins Castle Market. Hobbies at Shalesmoor. The hobby shop on London Road. A strange shop on London Road just down from the hobby shop called 'Chatterbox', never went in but stood out. Jeanery No1 on Fargate?

Barney Goodmans on Pinstone Street the best tailors outside Savile Row.

All the stars who appeared at the Empire (why have they demolished every building that was an iconic part of Sheffields history?) would go to Barney for their suits ,He would stand on the corner of his shop eye you up as you approached the door and decide how much you may be able to afford, He once got it wrong with me by asking a hundred guineas ,as I walked out of the door he called me back and whispered "eighty five but don't tell Dennis Mobson " (Local hard man who had paid the hundred).

Just below Barney's was the El Mambo coffee bar (LOL) where you could get anything that was illegal or bent inc purple hearts and poppers , the lads and lasses who frequented the place were straight out of a Sheffield vision of West Side Story ,Teddy Boys, Big Boppers and Lounge Lizards (Barney suited).

At the bottom of the arcade across the Road was the Palace on Union Street (back row for the Mambo mob) , And so the area around there was alive and buzzing which brings to question why would any one want to pull it all down and build face less ,pointless buildings with out character or indeed any Street life to make our City the vibrant place it was in the late fifty's through to the seventy;s.

Near on was the Hippodrome Theatre and Barlycorn Hotel (lol) a pub where many a lad found out that the facts of life were not worth the weeks wages just handed over to that nice lass who wore a gold chain around her left ankle as he then had to walk home because he was now a skint lad with no bus fare in a eighty five guinea suit

Edited by samssong
just remembered the Barlycorn.

the one's that I remember...

Golden Egg

Cockaynes

Redgates

Walshes

Harringtons

X Clothes

Rebina

Warp

Fon

not really one the general public would remember I guess, but an iconic name in the fishing world - Bennetts of Sheffield

(but Calcotts on the wicker was miles better, and so was Gunnies, but that was Buchanan road at Parson Cross)

Mikado drink shop at Firth park spent some hours in there !

Has anybody mentioned Suggs Sports shop, I used to spend ages in there looking at football kits and other sports equipment.

Joan Barry I bought my wedding dress from there.its where River Island is now.

Friedriechs butchers on the Wicker I was sent there for their tomato sausage by a woman I worked with.

A card shop on the gallery in the old market.Beautiful cards.

Middletons - pet shop at the market

Shaws cafe in market - great beefgurgers

Wimpy cafes

Friedriechs butchers on the Wicker I was sent there for their tomato sausage by a woman I worked with.

Wimpy cafes

'Shaw's Cafe' was run by former United and England footballer Graham Shaw, with his brother (name I forget) but not other brother Bernard who also played for the Blades, Wolves and Wednesday.

Wimpy cafes

I've never had one of those !! :hihi:

Barney Goodmans on Pinstone Street the best tailors outside Savile Row.

All the stars who appeared at the Empire (why have they demolished every building that was an iconic part of Sheffields history?) would go to Barney for their suits ,He would stand on the corner of his shop eye you up as you approached the door and decide how much you may be able to afford, He once got it wrong with me by asking a hundred guineas ,as I walked out of the door he called me back and whispered "eighty five but don't tell Dennis Mobson " (Local hard man who had paid the hundred).

Just below Barney's was the El Mambo coffee bar (LOL) where you could get anything that was illegal or bent inc purple hearts and poppers , the lads and lasses who frequented the place were straight out of a Sheffield vision of West Side Story ,Teddy Boys, Big Boppers and Lounge Lizards (Barney suited).

At the bottom of the arcade across the Road was the Palace on Union Street (back row for the Mambo mob) , And so the area around there was alive and buzzing which brings to question why would any one want to pull it all down and build face less ,pointless buildings with out character or indeed any Street life to make our City the vibrant place it was in the late fifty's through to the seventy;s.

Near on was the Hippodrome Theatre and Barlycorn Hotel (lol) a pub where many a lad found out that the facts of life were not worth the weeks wages just handed over to that nice lass who wore a gold chain around her left ankle as he then had to walk home because he was now a skint lad with no bus fare in a eighty five guinea suit

My Gran worked for Barney's, she was a tayloress (weird name for a female taylor) as a young lad she made me lots of stuff, even school uniform.

I remember my Mum once sending me round to her house to show her my school report because my teacher had mentioned how I was always well turned out.

She was till sewing right up to her death in her early eighties.

Also as a kid I remember going to Mavis's little sweet shop on Crookes, loved it but long gone, now a house but I believe her son John still lives there?

Edited by andrejuan

My Gran worked for Barney's, she was a tayloress (weird name for a female taylor) as a young lad she made me lots of stuff, even school uniform.

I remember my Mum once sending me round to her house to show her my school report because my teacher had mentioned how I was always well turned out.

She was till sewing right up to her death in her early eighties.

Also as a kid I remember going to Mavis's little sweet shop on Crookes, loved it but long gone, now a house but I believe her son John still lives there?

It's 'Tailoress' andrejuan, a correct name-also 'Seamstess' for which ladies of that genre are and I'm sure your Gran was a 'lady'.

I've been racking my brains for years to remember the name of the women's clothes shop on King Street before it was Chelsea Girl. I bought some great clothes there. Can anyone help me out?