Sheffield Shops That Are Now Extinct !!

Lets hear it for Woolies, how soon we forget.

Was in Roberts Brothers once and saw Dusty Springfield trying a paisley pattern blouse on, she wore it on Sunday Night at the London Palladium following night.

Easiphit Shoes- everywehere. Jays Furniture Moorhead, Fifty Shilling Taylors (FST) High Street, Bunney's Haymarket, Barney Goodman, Jack Archer's Sports Outfitters Bramall Lane, Bang and Olufson,( took over a shop from Redgates on the Moor,I first thought they were Irish Dynamite manufacturers.....)

I once looked at men's cardigans in Dunn's shop window on High Street but the wife dragged me away.

Violet May in her shop somewhere around Matilda Street once saved my life. I accidentally kneeled on a friends 78rpm Beethoven Symphony and she had the identical replacement; came close to kissing her - but the wife dragged me away again. Allied Carpets (a sale on every day of the year!); think they were taken over by Cyril Lord Carpets - or vice-versa. Neville Reeds Moorhead, Austin Reeds Fargate, Salisbury's Handbags, Fargate. Hagan's gardening and pets, The Market. S&E Co-op Ecclesall Road where we went to collect the 'divvy'. Frederich's butchers The Wicker, Firth Park and top of Newman Road. Great Pork pies with jelly!

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 06:03 ----------

Just a few more.

Lionel Darlow Sports Equipment, West Street: Prestons Pharmacists, West Street: Fishers Ironmongers, Haymarket: Cockaynes, Angel Street; RAF Recruting Office, Cambridge Street which became Moss Bros, posh suit rental then FastFrame picture shop, now gone; Maypole Dairies everywhere, Burgon's Grocers Firth Park; Fox's Furs (originally The Moor); The Raincoat Shop Orchard Street; Bray Brothers, mens outfitters, Pinstone street; Philip Cann, The Music Man.

My parents had a chocolate shop at the top of Glossop Road - next to Woodhouse plumbing shop - called The Chocolate Soldier... They left there in the early 80s..

The shop, I think, is now an Asian food shop!!!

Winstons at the bottom of Snig Hill. Always had the latest clothes in. I always remember him measuring up for trousers. The one question I hated was, 'Which side do you dress, Sir?

I should be so lucky! Ha Ha!

Happy Days ! PopT

Winstons at the bottom of Snig Hill. Always had the latest clothes in. I always remember him measuring up for trousers. The one question I hated was, 'Which side do you dress, Sir?

I should be so lucky! Ha Ha!

Happy Days ! PopT

I used to buy those drainpipe trousers with 14 in bottoms. I wanted 12 in but mum wouldn't allow that. The trousers were very low quality and used to become threadbare in a short time. I also used to buy those luminous bright pink and vivid green socks there. What kids will do for fashion.:hihi:

Cockaynes next to the old ABC cinema, that's been gone a good few years.

Hello CarolW. In 1974 or thereabouts, was a sweet- shop (next to Woodhouse Plumbers) owned by B.A Barron. I didn't know them personally (I had a colleague with the same name and initials but not related), would that be the shop you mentioned?

Talking of Glossop Road has brought to mind another shop which I think has gone, Jaeger, Ladies Outfitters, next to WilkinsonLane.

Another couple of names have also come to me from elsewhere viz Silverstones, Cabinet Makers and DIY Supplies on Campo Lane. Good French Polishers. Speaking of DIY, I used to buy Wallpaper and 'tins of torture' (paint) from Blaskey's who were all over the place, The Hole in the Road one of them.

I remember Winston's (soft ayperth post) down Snig Hill. Hornes on King Street nearby, where I used to buy clothes if I was feeling flush, always asked me the same question via Mr Devane (Gerald), "which side do you dress?" We had a running joke with his one; I always came the 'daft Harry' and said:"On the left hand side of the bedroom near the Wardrobe, well away from the window."

Sadly when Horne's made their staff redundant, none of them got a good settlement in spite of years of loyal service which left them very bitter. Occasionally I still see Mr Devane, the most perfect gentleman, absolutely right for his trade; he should have been on Savile Row.

I'm sure more shop names will come to me - especially when I'm in bed about to drop off !

Hello CarolW. In 1974 or thereabouts, was a sweet- shop (next to Woodhouse Plumbers) owned by B.A Barron. I didn't know them personally (I had a colleague with the same name and initials but not related), would that be the shop you mentioned?

Talking of Glossop Road has brought to mind another shop which I think has gone, Jaeger, Ladies Outfitters, next to WilkinsonLane.

Another couple of names have also come to me from elsewhere viz Silverstones, Cabinet Makers and DIY Supplies on Campo Lane. Good French Polishers. Speaking of DIY, I used to buy Wallpaper and 'tins of torture' (paint) from Blaskey's who were all over the place, The Hole in the Road one of them.

I remember Winston's (soft ayperth post) down Snig Hill. Hornes on King Street nearby, where I used to buy clothes if I was feeling flush, always asked me the same question via Mr Devane (Gerald), "which side do you dress?" We had a running joke with his one; I always came the 'daft Harry' and said:"On the left hand side of the bedroom near the Wardrobe, well away from the window."

Sadly when Horne's made their staff redundant, none of them got a good settlement in spite of years of loyal service which left them very bitter. Occasionally I still see Mr Devane, the most perfect gentleman, absolutely right for his trade; he should have been on Savile Row.

I'm sure more shop names will come to me - especially when I'm in bed about to drop off !

Do you know what year Horne's stop trading. I use to know some of the staff when I use to go for my lunch. There was a lovely lady who worked there, I think her name was Ruby. She had lovely long red her and looked like a model. Awful how they were treated when they were made redundant.

Hi, Norrie, my parents took the shop over around 1975 - I was in junior school at the time - I can't remember the name of the people before them, though "Barron" does ring a bell....!!

It may have been Hurley or Hurren - something like that.....!!

My parents started making their own chocolates there around 1977/1978, then they moved to just off West Street and later on, they were at Ridgeway Craft Centre...

Greetings Hauxwell,

I'll get to work on when Hornes actually closed. We always associate Horne's with King Street opposite Cockaynes (later Schofields).

Horne's were still there in 1974. I remember on my customer card that they had associations with Harvey Nicholls in London and other companies. It's not generally known that they were the suppliers of best dress black trousers to certain elite army regiments. An entire pantechnicon load of such trousers were once stolen from a layby.

Horne's didn't exactly close down to begin with, but I believe that ownership changed and their whole style and service changed.

The King Street shop closed down with loss of staff and the shop eventually reopened on Pinstone Street opposite the Town hall on the corner site that used to be William Timpson's Ltd, Boot ans Shoe dealers. I believe (I'd need help here) that ladies ware was upstairs and menswear in the basement. I did make purchases downstairs but it wasn't the same. Everything was off the peg and the service was indifferent and just not the same as King Street. None of the benefits of owning the coveted Horne's card were available anymore; it was just a shop. When it actually closed, I'll try and find out. The lady you mention I do remember at King Street, utterly charming but like the other staff, I don't think she went to Pinstone Street.

Just to add to the disappeared Sheffield shops, I can now add more that were on Pinstone Street (opposite the Peace Gardens that is from Timpson's down):

Disco Suede, Ladies outfitters; Lavell's confectioers; Alfred Marks Burea; Bray Bros (I've mentioned in a previous post); Newmart Electronics & Hi Fi record shop; Golden Stero & Hi Fi record shop; Tao Clinic Electrolysis (next to Palatine Chambers); Lennards Shoes; Horizon Travel; Collingwood Jewllers; Mac Markets; Stonefield Jewellers; Salvation Army -moved elsewhere; Ansells opticians; Suedcraft; K Shoe Shops Ltd; Jones & Sons, shoes; Helene, Ladies Outfitters; Porter Prints; Venus Steak House; Corkerpack Fruit and Veg (there used to be a Corkers (same firm) on Chapel Walk and Fitzalan Square); Hayman's Costumiers; Stylo Shoes; Ray Alan, outfitters; Lotus & Delta Shoe repairs; Marsdens Caterers; and Paragon Jewellers on the corner opposite Debenham's. I've left lots out that weren't really shops down this stretch of Pinstone Street

Thank you Norrie for the information I do remember Horne's going to Pinstone Street, you have jogged my memory. I also remember someone called Stewart who worked at Horne's he was very good at oil painting and a very pleasant person, but then as you said all of the staff were. Although I only used the café for a few years I did get to know a lot of the staff, some of them use to use the café when it was there lunch break.

The Pikelet Shop - at least that's what a lot of people called it. (Mrs Milnes, I think)

On South Road, about 4 or 5 doors on from the Walkley Road end.

A big hot plate behind the counter where they would cook oatcakes and pikelets (what are now called crumpets, cooked in a metal ring, unlike the flatter, wider ones from Staffordshire).

Also, a few doors further up was Sauls (until quite recently there were still traces of the signs painted on the shop front, I think). Sauls sold "loose" butter, lard, sugar etc, as well as different coloured puddings and pork products. It was a "deli" before we ever had delis.

Edit. Just had a look on Streetview. Cannot see any evidence of Sauls any more. not even sure which house it now is. (it always had a smallish "house" window, and not a big shop front).

Edited by Eater Sundae

Hi, Norrie, my parents took the shop over around 1975 - I was in junior school at the time - I can't remember the name of the people before them, though "Barron" does ring a bell....!!

It may have been Hurley or Hurren - something like that.....!!

My parents started making their own chocolates there around 1977/1978, then they moved to just off West Street and later on, they were at Ridgeway Craft Centre...

Just remembered - the name was "Hulley" - it was above the shop for a while after my parents took over!!!!