Herries Road opposite Northern General

Today I noticed that the tiny crescent opposite the Northern General, which is about 150 yards long and doesn't even have a name of its own (it's just called Herries Road, and you can see both ends of it without moving the Streetview camera), has had the 20 mph limit imposed on it by the council. With the full works: four posts (two at each end), eight signs (because you have to tell people coming out of the crescent that it's now 30), and two road markings. All for a road on which I would be very surprised if anybody had ever got over 20mph. Perhaps someone from the council could tell us how much that has all cost, because to me this seems like a colossal waste of money for a council that keeps telling us how hard up it is and how it's all the Government's fault.

I'm sure the cost does not really matter if your grandkids play around that area. The slower the better considering all the cars double parked or over junctions around that area.

Is that the one where the bottom entrance has a sign announcing it as "Norwood"?

Is that the one where the bottom entrance has a sign announcing it as "Norwood"?

Yes, it is but I can't just say yes because the post isn't long enough.

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 17:31 ----------

I'm sure the cost does not really matter if your grandkids play around that area. The slower the better considering all the cars double parked or over junctions around that area.

Of course if you actually read the post then you'd see that I said that nobody would get above 20 mph on that road anyway, because by the time you'd got to 20 you'd have to start slowing down to come out of the other end.

Yes, it is but I can't just say yes because the post isn't long enough.

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 17:31 ----------

Of course if you actually read the post then you'd see that I said that nobody would get above 20 mph on that road anyway, because by the time you'd got to 20 you'd have to start slowing down to come out of the other end.

There's another little cul-de-sac at Stannington where they have done the same thing, painted 20 on the road and also put 20 mph sign posts up.

By the time drivers have turned out of their driveway and straightened up they are practically on the main road you don't even get to 10 mph let alone 20 and it is the same driving onto the cul-de-sac.

The council want to use their brains and stop wasting our money and get these pot holes sorted. I had a visitor from further up north last week and he asked me if we paid our taxes as he'd never seen roads in such a bad way.

Yet they don't have money to increase Penistone Road to 40mph because it will only save 30 seconds because they said so, so that's it. Making the said roads 20mph will save lives because they said so, so that's it

It's totally daft. I doubt whoever planned it had ever visited the road because it's obviously a complete waste of money.

Could the Council be forced to reveal the total cost if someone put in a Freedom of Information request?

It's totally daft. I doubt whoever planned it had ever visited the road because it's obviously a complete waste of money.

Could the Council be forced to reveal the total cost if someone put in a Freedom of Information request?

It's more than likely a regulatory requirement - ie a government made rule that councils have no choice about.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made

It's more than likely a regulatory requirement - ie a government made rule that councils have no choice about.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made

almost certainly.

If I worked at the council on these kinds of decisions I would think it modern nonsense though. My thoughts are on the cost. Obviously much of it will be done by council workers though, and already on the wage bill.

It would be interesting to see the costings

I bet it was a lot :hihi:

It's what the council do the best waste money

I wish I'd got shares in one of these firms that decide how many sets of traffic lights and signs are needed, they must be making a fortune. They don't use one where half a dozen will do.