Please can anyone advise on my car. Dont know what else to do.

Hi.

I seriously need some advise regarding my car. I have spent so much on it and it seems to be getting worse despite that! No garages seem to know either, they might as well just shrug their shoulders. Without my car I cant work so if anyone can help I would be ever so grateful.

If you bare with me I will explain from the start....its quite long winded.

I bought a Astra sri 53 plate 2.2 petrol. It seemed to be holding back when I put the foot down, kind of like a delay in power. A few days later my car went wrong seriously and long story short It needed a new timing chain.

Got the timing chain done but the delay when I put foot down was still there and then the car problems just got more and more, worse and worse!

Here is a list of what my poorly car is up to now.

slow on acceleration

petrol consumption down

drinks a lot of oil

it judders and shakes sometimes like its going to cut out mid drive

MPH gauge jumping all over the place!

coolant light on

engine management light on

ABS light on

Abs kicks in when stopping at junctions almost like a skid

Rough idle at times, not always

We have been told everything from throttle body sensor to incorrect timing of the chain we had fitted.

We have tried the pedal test, paperclip test and OBDII diagnostic.

It throws up these faults

P1514 airflow to TP high

P0378 Timing preference

P0778 pressure control solenoid b electrical

If anyone can help no matter if you are not sure, I would be ever so grateful. I`m going mad here with it all.

I shall try that in the morning when its light. Thanks very much for your time.

No worries. If you get really stuck, there is a really good mechanic on station road, at ecclesfield called MP Motors. The guy that owns it is a lad called Martin, really helpful and he doesn't do work that's not needed. Me and the wife have been using him for the last 20 odd years. He will tell you whats up with it for free. Hope you get it sorted.

No worries. If you get really stuck, there is a really good mechanic on station road, at ecclesfield called MP Motors. The guy that owns it is a lad called Martin, really helpful and he doesn't do work that's not needed. Me and the wife have been using him for the last 20 odd years. He will tell you whats up with it for free. Hope you get it sorted.

Great. Thanks very much!

With the list of problems you listed and one or two are quite serious i would seriously consider cutting my losses and investing my time and effort on something else. You got quite a list of faults there.

Sounds like you have been conned.

Basic symptoms should have prompted an etest which would have highlighted a flow meter (or similarly) error as now indicated.

Good Luck.

oh dear....that is what I was dreading to hear. If I cut my losses I will lose my job and I cant afford to buy another car :confused:

---------- Post added 29-01-2016 at 23:24 ----------

Does anyone know where the MAF sensor can be found? I cant find it anywhere! Seems a Maf gone bad may be the cause of "some" of the problems?

MPH gauge jumping all over the place!

coolant light on

engine management light on

ABS light on

Abs kicks in when stopping at junctions almost like a skid

Rough idle at times, not always

It throws up these faults

P1514 airflow to TP high

P0378 Timing preference

P0778 pressure control solenoid b electrical

Those electrical faults look weird, MPH gauge !!!!

Those electrical faults look weird, MPH gauge !!!!

I meant the speedometer :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 02:17 ----------

Many thanks x

With regards to the ABS. I had the same thing happen on a car (ABS cutting in when braking), it needed a new drive shaft. Cost around a hundred I think.