Reds True BBQ Coming To Sheffield

this is part of the Mitchel and Butler empire, so the food is probably thaw and serve from Brakes, supplier of ready meals to many restaurants, the only way they think they can maintain consistency.

Guest makapaka
this is part of the Mitchel and Butler empire, so the food is probably thaw and serve from Brakes, supplier of ready meals to many restaurants, the only way they think they can maintain consistency.

Do you know that to be true or just assuming? Genuine question.

Do you know that to be true or just assuming? Genuine question.

It is certainly part of the Mitchel and Butler empire, and as far as I am aware that is how they operate, it doesn't mean its bad food, just not prepared on the premises in most cases.

I've managed to reserve for this Saturday, can't wait!!

I went last night, I was very unimpressed!! We were s table of 7 and to get the food to us all nearly took 3 hrs!!

To be fair to a new place , if you go on the first or second night, it's obviously going to be busy, and you aren't going to see the best in a place.

(I don't know of this chain, whether it is big or small)

I've worked in the past for two companies (quite big) before they opened [preparation work], and had to deal with both opening nights. When I say 'quite big', it was big enough to have a few similar places on its books, and we went and practised in another venue first. I wonder if these guys had that advantage? If not you'd expect they'd have had some 'mock' nights to practise.

Even if they did, the list of little things that went wrong in the opening nights of mine was incredibly long!

A week or so later, once everyone had got into the swing of things, even the busiest nights had few problems.

Edited by *_ash_*

If you like burgers - try Urban quarter at Kelham Island - just along from Fat Cat.

http://www.urbanquarter.co/

Best in Sheffield.

Crispy , slightly charred on the outside and pink and juicy within.

Really tasty beef , and a tasty brioche style bun.

The milkshakes are ace , as are the warm filled doughnuts.

(sadly they have never been quite as good at their sharrow vale location though)

Thanks, I'll have to check that out :)

You should never eat a burger that's pink in the middle. Do you know why?

As far as I understand, a beef steak can be eaten 'pink' in the middle or even 'red'(!) (not recommended for pregnant women though!) as long as the beef is 'sealed' on the outside by cooking it in a frying pan, as it is the outside of the beef that can contain harmful bacteria, eg E Coli.

However, my understanding of a burger is that it is minced or ground beef, which means that you have about 200 (?) mini pieces of beef in theory, so each individual piece of minced beef should be cooked on the outside, and the only way to guarantee that is to have a well cooked burger that is not pink in the middle.

Aah, just seen Dubaidani13's post which also states similar.

Edited by Lex Luthor

It is certainly part of the Mitchel and Butler empire, and as far as I am aware that is how they operate, it doesn't mean its bad food, just not prepared on the premises in most cases.

No it isn't. I am not sure where people come up with such nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11627077/Leading-restaurateurs-stoke-the-fires-of-Reds-True-Barbecue.html

The latest round of fundraising has seen investment from entrepreneurs including Ian Neill, former Wagamama chairman, Jamie Barber, founder of the Cabana Brasilian Barbecue group, as well as Stephen Wall, managing director at Pho, and Brandon Stephens, founder of Tortilla.

In addition to the new equity raised, debt funding is being provided by Santander UK.

https://www.santandercb.co.uk/knowledge-hub/reds-true-barbecue-expand-following-multi-million-pound-funding-deal

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/353885/reds-true-barbecue-making-a-killing

Edited by jamesogt

You should never eat a burger that's pink in the middle. Do you know why?

Yes but its rubbish. Even the FSA changed their tack on this last year.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2015/14362/new-proposals-on-serving-rare-burgers

The places that keep telling you this are the places where they CANT serve it pink because their meat comes in frozen (or the burgers come pre-formed)from a large meat supplier where they cannot be sure about handling...

If a place will serve you a burger pink - you can trust the meat (and usually the rest of the food is good too)

If they wont serve it pink , get up and go somewhere else.

Yes but its rubbish. Even the FSA changed their tack on this last year.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2015/14362/new-proposals-on-serving-rare-burgers

The places that keep telling you this are the places where they CANT serve it pink because their meat comes in frozen (or the burgers come pre-formed)from a large meat supplier where they cannot be sure about handling...

If a place will serve you a burger pink - you can trust the meat (and usually the rest of the food is good too)

If they wont serve it pink , get up and go somewhere else.

Interesting as I did wonder at the advice, since Steak Tartare is commonly served in many countries which is basically raw minced steak.

I'd probably try it given that I'm happy to consume other foods that have warnings such as unpasteurised milk.

No it isn't. I am not sure where people come up with such nonsense. Brakes has also been Bidvest for a while too.

No it hasn't. I am not sure where people come up with such nonsense. Brakes is Brakes. Bidvest used to be called 3663 but has been renamed to align it with its South African parent co. There was talk of a merger of Brakes and 3663 in the early 2000's but it came to nothing.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

No it isn't. I am not sure where people come up with such nonsense. Brakes has also been Bidvest for a while too.

No it hasn't. I am not sure where people come up with such nonsense. Brakes is Brakes. Bidvest used to be called 3663 but has been renamed to align it with its South African parent co. There was talk of a merger of Brakes and 3663 in the early 2000's but it came to nothing.

I will give you that, get the two confused after the talk of them merging. Still much less of a mis-truth than suggesting a very successful "independent" is part of M&B!

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

Does Scargill work for the similar restaurant in town by any chance? Trying to slander the name of the new competitor by saying its all microwave food :)