Jailed! Massive national drugs operation run from Sheffield

And if they like heroin and can get it at a known quality, for free, in a safe place, then they will.

So the dealer can't make a profit, and the addict doesn't die from contamination.

Heavy sentences should be given to any dealer of any scale.

I know quite a lot of junkies and out of all of them only one shows progress.
Unfortunately what/who you know doesn't encompass all of reality. Have you ever thought that an ex-"junkie" would want to keep it confidential due to the social stigma placed on it, and the judgement from less open minded people? And then as a consequence, these tax-paying, responsible individuals can't shout up about the good that rehabilitation schemes have done to their lives, and the positive impact it's had for their families and society as a whole, because of the fear of being labelled with the "junkie" tag.

---------- Post added 29-01-2016 at 15:29 ----------

Meanwhile, there are a lot of people (who I would suggest have short sighted, ignorant views, but that's just my opinion), criticising the amount of money invested in substance abuse rehabilitation, and also moaning about "junkies" (I hate that word to be honest) on the street begging them for money!

I'm not accusing you of being one of these people though, apologies. You have caught the wrath for something I feel quite strongly about.

This already happens, it's not a effective deterrent.

This already happens, it's not a effective deterrent.

Then perhaps it's time things were increased

Then perhaps it's time things were increased
In Indonesia they sentence drug dealers and traffickers to death by firing squad, but people still do it. Regularly. I'm not saying we should reduce sentences for drug dealers, but increasing them isn't a deterrent, that's for sure.

They take the risk as the rewards are hugh cash wise.

In Indonesia they sentence drug dealers and traffickers to death by firing squad, but people still do it. Regularly. I'm not saying we should reduce sentences for drug dealers, but increasing them isn't a deterrent, that's for sure.

Indonesian drug dealers are driven not only by a different mindset, they are driven by much higher poverty. The death sentence does ensure one thing, they don't re offend.

Indonesian drug dealers are driven not only by a different mindset, they are driven by much higher poverty. The death sentence does ensure one thing, they don't re offend.

I'd argue that they're driven by the same motivation, big financial rewards coupled with a small risk of getting caught. If you decreased their financial reward and increased their chances of them getting caught I'd suggest that the drug dealers would look for other employment opportunities.

The problem is that addicts want heroin, not methadone. That's why methadone programmes aren't effective at destroying the heroin trade.

It's been tried. It works. The demand for black market heroin disappears.

It's safer for addicts, it's better for society, there aren't any downsides.

Yes it's been tried and it ends up with the Opium Wars and half a nation smacked up.

Yes it's been tried and it ends up with the Opium Wars and half a nation smacked up.

I see your grasp of history is as shaky as ever.

And if they like heroin and can get it at a known quality, for free, in a safe place, then they will.

So the dealer can't make a profit, and the addict doesn't die from contamination.

I've never tried heroin, would I be able to get some of this free heroin myself just to see how it feels, what about other drugs, would this sort of set up allow us to get good quality cocaine for free.