I'm not racist... but...

Originally posted by Sidla

Assuming the insult is issued purely because of the colour of the persons skin. IMO this situation is rare, but if it did occur then the person who issued the insult would indeed be racist, what ever colour or creed they are.

However, most people don't go around spouting off insults to people just because of their race. So lets assume there was another reason that the person felt they should issue an insult (like the "looking down nose" example I used in the first place which started this whole argument). In this situation if a white person said to a black person "you black b******" then IMO it would be racist. There was no need to bring the persons race into the insult and it was only used as if to add more weight. White people should know better than to say this.

You could get away with saying a grown up should know better than a child but saying white people should know better than ??? implies that ??? can be forgiven because they are not as clever/knowledgable/wise.

In this situation, if a black person said "you white b******" then no, I don't think it is racist. Being white is not insulting and it never has been (see history as already discussed), so I don't see how it could be considered racist. [/b]

So being black is insulting?!? Now that is insulting! :loopy:

Originally posted by DaBouncer

The same can be said how can you be offended by the colour of your skin if you're black???

Because of the history of racial hatred towards black people from white people.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

It all comes down to the context which the word is used. That's my opinion anyway.

Originally posted by Zamo

You could get away with saying a grown up should know better than a child but saying white people should know better than ??? implies that ??? can be forgiven because they are not as clever/knowledgable/wise.

If there's a reason why you didn't know better I'm sure the court would love to hear about it. I'm not saying people of other race don't know better, I'm saying that being white is not an issue to them in the way that being black was once an issue to us.

Originally posted by Zamo

So being black is insulting?!? Now that is insulting! :loopy:

Does anyone else want to put words in my mouth?

Because of the history of racial hatred towards black people from white people.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

It all comes down to the context which the word is used. That's my opinion anyway.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have NEVER had any of the problems that you talk about. I know loads of people of all sorts of colours and races and religions and NEVER EVER has anyone said that I have offended them. I don't even think about behaving differently with people, period!

As for "Who's rattled your cage" - I had to read that one three times before I understood why it was being put forward as potentially racist. Perhaps that's it... I JUST DON'T GET racism, therefore I don't do it, therefore I don't have any problems with anyone. Do I give off different vibes or something?

I think you're misunderstanding me somewhere along the line, and I really can't understand why. What problems do I talk of? Just like you say, I have never offended anyone either. Were you getting the impression I had for some reason?

As I said it's all about context. As long as you don't mean to offend people, 99% of the time you won't.

Originally posted by Funky Dave

I've also been on the receiving end of anti-white racism in Sheffield, though to be fair it's only happened once, and I've suffered far worse at the hands of white yobs. I get the impression that this sort of thing is on the increase though, and that surely can't be a good thing can it?

i was on the recieving end of racism in london, when i was bricked by a group of black males. i dontr ealy know if this was racism, but i know for crtain that if it was a group of whites on a black person t would be "racist"

Originally posted by thenewborn

i was on the recieving end of racism in london, when i was bricked by a group of black males. i dontr ealy know if this was racism, but i know for crtain that if it was a group of whites on a black person t would be "racist"

It depends on the motivation really. If the motivation behind it wasn't racist, I really don't see how they could be guilty of racism.

I went to a mainly Muslim school (Earl Marshall), in which there was only me and two other girls in my class that were white. We were the ethnic minority!! Even the teachers could have been seen as racist! Regularly some of the teachers used to switch to speaking their own language, so we wouldn't know what they were saying!

I have personally been experienced racism because if being white, so no one can say it doesn't exist!! Even at primary school it was as petty as vanilla ice cream!!!!

Originally posted by Foxxx

Ok, Mike, I think you totally missed the point of my post.

Yes, it looks like I did - I thought you meant that people would start on a path of race-hate, rather than as you meant being labelled as racist.

No, it's not, as mentioned in some of the posts after your's, it has made many people angry. By having all this equality around it just brings racism to the forefront.

That's a good thing in my book - if people are angered by it then they should question their motives.

The idea of jobs being taken by someone not of whiye origin angers many people.

That's their problem - the jobs "being taken" (which is a bit of a myth anyway) are generally ones that the people doing the complaining would never stoop to doing themselves.

These laws all mean well to try and make races mix and live together, but in actual fact it doesn't really work. People just become more racist.

Maybe I didn't miss the point of your post after all - if people become so embittered by attempts at racial equality that they themselves "become" racist, then I suggest that they are already racist and are using it as an excuse to express their beliefs.

Cheryl tweedy from Girls aloud. At the end of the day, she might of whacked whoever it was regardless of colour. Now the outcome of such cases is to fuel racism because white people are feeling like the minority.

So why did Ms Tweedy call the woman a "black bitch" before hitting her, if it wasn't racially motivated?

If that boy is black, the police have to watch exactly what they do for fear of being accused of being racist.

Not true at all - Black people die disproportionately in police custody. Remember the findings of the Lawrence Report?

Show's how niave you are.

No it doesn't, I was relating my personal experience - just because I've never been racially abused doesn't make me naiive.

Also, have you ever tried living in certain areas of this country?? Areas of London where as a white person you are the minority and get racial discrimination from the other races living there.

I never said that there is no racism directed at white people, did I? I said that the magnitude of the problem is tiny in comparison.

Briefly mentioned in the news last night the 15 yr old boy murdered by what is believed to be 5 asian men. The police haven't said whether it was racially motivated yet and are probably too scared to if it was.

The police are more scared that far-right organisations use it as propaganda.

White people are killed by black people all the time, yet the papers ignore it

So how do you know about all these tons of murders then, when the rest of us don't?

My original post was just trying to point out that it has all gone too far the other way now.

I disagree - judging by the consistent displays of prejudice just on this forum alone, I would say things have got a long long way to go.

The people whom it makes uncomfortable are the people who need to examine their own beliefs.

The police are more scared that far-right organisations use it a propaganda.

No I disagree. As even if it is found to be racial, I think the police are gonna keep it quiet.

I think it has got to the point now that the police are almost afraid of arresting anyone who isn't white, as they could turn around and call it 'racist'.

Originally posted by qazitory

Regularly some of the teachers used to switch to speaking their own language, so we wouldn't know what they were saying!

I don't see how this is racism. How do you know the motivation behind it was because of your skin colour? Are you sure the teachers were not trying to communicate better with other pupils whos English wasn't so good?