I'm not racist... but...

Originally posted by igli

Definitely- there's strength in diversity. Sides, we're all individuals, that's why we need to look after minorities- we're all a minority of one..

PS to t020: I don't know you, so forgive me if I'm being a bit forward, but I don't think many people are interested in you proving some techie point about the quote system, not in the forum. Well all right, I'm not, then.. ;)

Sheesh, can't we keep it a little more civil?

Hit the nail on the head there mate. Although if you just expanded that to ''I don't think many people are interested in any point you make'', it would have been closer!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Hit the nail on the head there mate. Although if you just expanded that to ''I don't think many people are interested in any point you make'', it would have been closer!

If thats the case why does every1 reply to him/ her so much?

Must be one of the great mysteries of life Kittykat!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by igli

My 2p: differences are negative when they come between us, positive when seen as something to celebrate.

Very well said ... all people are different ... and in many different ways (not just race) ... that just makes the world richer and more diverse ... a good thing ... vive la difference !!!

I guess human nature is just a little on the clique sure.

Good - at last the police will maybe stop abusing their stop and search powers, which they've been doing for years.

Originally posted by Mike

Good - at last the police will maybe stop abusing their stop and search powers, which they've been doing for years.

Perhaps, heaven forbid, blacks may actually represent a higher proportion of crime than they represent the proportion of the population. This is the point - things can't be seen in terms of percentages/ proportionalities.

Originally posted by Belle

What Foxxx and T020 entirely fail to get, perhaps because they are so busy decrying almost everyone else in the country but themselves that they dont pay proper attention, is that a thing is only racist if it is meant to be racist.

If you say "coloured" and then someone says to you "I would rather you didnt use that word, it makes me feel uncomfortable about myself..." or whatever, and you say "Oh, I didnt know, I shant say it again" that is NOT racist.

If you go on saying it, not bothering to re-educate yourself, even after you have been told, even knowing it causes offence, then you are being racist

If someone says "dont call me a cripple, I prefer to be described as someone with disabilities" and you dont learn your lesson then you are some other -ism

Nothing is racist without intent

Your continual whining and moaning and whinging about political correctness in so many threads so often, both of you, and others too if I could only be bothered to search for them, is just a pathetic excuse at wanting to go on being rude, obnoxious, cruel, hurtful and whatever, without having to curb your behaviour or put yourself out any.

You think you should be free to be as insulting as you like, about anyone that takes your fancy, and if they dont like it they can get stuffed. Many contributors have tried to make you see that you just cant go on like that. Not without expecting to get into bother for it anyway.

Political correctness, if we must use that term, is about making sure that once you know a term is hurtful or inappropriate, you get rid of it from your vocabulary. How hard can it be to be careful not to hurt other people?

In general terms re the rest of the debate, racism is wrong, as are all isms. We are all individuals. Generalisation at the cost of individuality is always wrong

Black on white violence, if racially motivated, is wrong, as is black on white violence if not racially motivated. And yes of course I know it goes on. Not as much as the other way mind. However, the fact that it does go on, does not make it okay for everyone to throw all restraint aside and enter a free for all - which is another implication of what is said here in some of these threads.

"It is okay for me to be widely critical and condemnatory of a whole nation of people, threaten them however I like, in anyway I want (like those coppers on that TV documentary) because an asian guy once jumped my mate outside a club."

Not good enough

Bad behaviour is wrong, whoever commits it.

Surely people dont still bother to say "I'm not racist but..." .

They either are not racist and dont feel the need to say anything or they are racist and proud

What a horrible world we live in

Now you know why I dont come on here much any more....if that is what I think, right?

Belle, I don't know why you are having a personal dig at me and T020.

We have been expressing opinions and both of us don't like racism.

I like to think that I am understanding and in general I am not racist. I have opinions on ways in which some people are but that is not related to the colour of their skin or to their religion or to how their bodies work. I was making a point that white people can find it hard to not be classed as racist when so many 'innocent' things they say are taken the wrong way and they are accused of being racist. That is my opinion and one shared by many. My argument is that it has gone so far the other way now i.e. that you can't have things that are purely white and I used that MOBO awards as an example, maybe a silly one, but a true one, that it actually gets to the point where white people get fed up of watching what they have to say and do that it can make them racist. The thread is 'I'm not racist but...' and in response I have brought up a point of view that many people share. If you have a problem with that, then I can't help it, I and others are not going to stop having opinions and posting on here because you or others don't like it. This is a place for debate. If you don't agree with what I or T020 say, then pull the arguments apart. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me and I like to hear what people have to say. My opinions can change by listening to others and they have. I can sometimes challenges people in order to make them justify their point more and I might actually agree with them. Its a debate and its good to consider other angles. I have not said any racist comments in this thread and I try my best not to say racist comments. I disagree with people being racist, but I still think that one way or another we all are to an extent. It is natural to be, because we are a species that is designed to survive (survival of the fittest) and look after our own. My point is, in trying to mix races, which I have no problem with, there will always be problems because different races often have different ways of living. Yes, people need to be more tolerant, but sadly that does not happen. It probably never will. At no point did I say I had a problem with other races.

I do pay attention and just because you don't like what I say, does not make me stupid and mean that I don't pay attention. I am not some rich snob who thinks I am above everyone else which is what you are implying. I take offense to your comments.

I have not continually whinged and moaned about polictical correctness. Only in a couple of circumstances where I have felt it appropriate. Often with PC statements, the public aren't even made aware that something is no longer PC and it gets very frustrating. You can't even say disabled toilets now, or brainstorming. Brainstorming has been banned as it 'might' offend an epiletic person. I'm sorry but that is getting ridiculus imo. Has an epilatic person ever said they are offended by the term brainstroming in a training session? It's now 'thought showering' that you should say. In making an expression non PC it can sometimes just highlight peoples races or disabilities (not sure what the substitute for disabled is now so I apologise if that offends anyone).

You accuse of "is just a pathetic excuse at wanting to go on being rude, obnoxious, cruel, hurtful and whatever, without having to curb your behaviour or put yourself out any".

I am not rude, obnoxious, cruel or hurtful and I find that offense to be accused of that and a deformation to my character.

Foxxx well said you speak much sense in your last post.

I have given up trying to defend myself as being a non-racist person. I know in my heart that I'm not and I don't care any more whether people want to attach a label.

I too will still voice my opinions whether thay are appreciated or not. I think that the PC brigade on here must be very out of touch with the views of Joe Public ( I suppose it comes from mixing within the closed circles of the Labour Party and students in general)

I have to admit I actually think that Political Correctness is one of the most dangerous political movements of recent times - what it seems to be trying to do is to homogonise people and linguistically remove any differences which obviously do exist and should be acknowledged and cellebrated. Variety is the spice of both life and civilisation :)

Originally posted by t020

Perhaps, heaven forbid, blacks may actually represent a higher proportion of crime than they represent the proportion of the population. This is the point - things can't be seen in terms of percentages/ proportionalities.

People from ethnic minorities are five times more likely to be stoped and searched than others.

Perhaps you actually believe that there are five times as many crimes committed by people from ethnic minorities, making this a fair and just policy, but I think you'll find that's not actually the case.

Anyway, interesting link here about stop and search, showing points of view from both sides of the equation http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/566413.stm

That makes a lot of sense ... everything you just said there Foxxx.

The PC thing has defo gone too far IMO and it also inhibits naturalness.

I often feel on edge and uncomfortable in the company of people from ethnic minorities ...

This is precisely because I have to be extra careful that anything I say or do is not misconstrued ...... and I am in fear of being branded a racist.

Personally I don't have any problem with anyone from an ethnic minority (at least not on grounds of their ethnicity) ...

I think it's great that people come from different backgrounds and cultures ... and it adds 'colour' to life (oh s**t ... can I say that !?).

I think the more we try and force people to treat everyone as an equal ... the more f****d up it gets ... treating other people with care and respect should be spontanious and come natural to us.

When it is something we have to do because of legislation or 'PC-ness' ... we somewhat lose that natural care and respect.

Another point that Foxxx made that struck a chord in me is about people being naturally tribal ... that's just part of human nature.