Cigarette brands in the 50's & 60's

Hi stpetre I can,t help you there all I remember is a picture of a navy type sailor with a seascape background circled in the middle of the packet,I think the Cravan A packet was bright red!.My first ciggies were Woodbines,5 in a paper packet until I settled on Park Drive going on to Benson and Hedges as I became more affluent in my 20s!.As a schoolkid I remember one of the shops in Hillfoot selling some kind of herbal cigarette,it was rough looking bark type material,they weren,t too bad and were cheap for us schoolkids as cash was an everyday problem!.:thumbsup::help:

Thank you old tup, I think the cig packet with the sailor and seascape would be 'Player's Navy Cut'. Are they still around ? (the cigs that is.)

Hi stpetre I can,t help you there all I remember is a picture of a navy type sailor with a seascape background circled in the middle of the packet,I think the Cravan A packet was bright red!.My first ciggies were Woodbines,5 in a paper packet until I settled on Park Drive going on to Benson and Hedges as I became more affluent in my 20s!.As a schoolkid I remember one of the shops in Hillfoot selling some kind of herbal cigarette,it was rough looking bark type material,they weren,t too bad and were cheap for us schoolkids as cash was an everyday problem!.:thumbsup::help:

The one with the sailor and seascape is actually the Players package. Capstan was a squarish geometrical pattern on a light blue (for their Navy Cut) and brown (for their Full Strength)

Players Weights, were the nearest you could get to Park Drive down South, but were not really in the same class as the real thing. After I emigrated in 1981, we were visited by both sides of our families and I always asked for some Park Drive for them to bring over. However I got so used to tipped fags that I stopped asking anymore, but my first Canadian friend loved them and they just kept coming in for a few more years, but my lungs started yelling " no more" LOL

Yes Mr.T. I recall going on holiday with my parents to Hampshire in the late '50 and there and London did not seem to know what 'Park Drive' or 'Woodbine's' were (must have been a northern thing) so they had to have 'Player's Weights' . I remember my dad remarking that they and their (southern) beers were awful. Did they sell 'Weights' in Sheffield ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yes Mr.T. I recall going on holiday with my parents to Hampshire in the late '50 and there and London did not seem to know what 'Park Drive' or 'Woodbine's' were (must have been a northern thing) so they had to have 'Player's Weights' . I remember my dad remarking that they and their (southern) beers were awful. Did they sell 'Weights' in Sheffield ?

Yes, they sold them as I recall. But, they weren't all that popular.

I was on a course in London in 1969. Met an Irish guy who smoked Sweet Afton. He reckoned they were made in Ireland.

Thank you old tup, I think the cig packet with the sailor and seascape would be 'Player's Navy Cut'. Are they still around ? (the cigs that is.)

I was once told, true or false I don't know, that the sailor on the packet was a sailor called Able Seaman Wood who was a First World War hero, is it true or is it false?

I was once told, true or false I don't know, that the sailor on the packet was a sailor called Able Seaman Wood who was a First World War hero, is it true or is it false?

Well lazarus, the sailor (Royal Navy I will asume) on the 'Player's' packet does look like a WW1 scene. As for his name....well watch this space I suppose.

Y

Turf's cig packets had a horses head on them. Made you wonder what they were made from!

mike 57, I suspect the 'tobacco' used in Turf was our old friend 'Kerbstone Twist'. You knew what it was from the smell, but how the heck you lit it, I don't know.

Funny talking of the North/South differences, I was wondering if you had heard the trick trivia question, "What 5 countries make up the UK?" I am sure all the locals on here have heard it but seeing as you, like me, have lived in North America a long time, maybe you have not heard it. Well a recent immigrant from Huddersfield caught me out with that question The answer is, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Northern England & Southern England. LOL :D

Well lazarus, the sailor (Royal Navy I will asume) on the 'Player's' packet does look like a WW1 scene. As for his name....well watch this space I suppose.

Aye, Aye sir.

The hatband on the sailor's cap bore the name "Hero".

The hatband on the sailor's cap bore the name "Hero".

Correct, that really jogged my memory. I think it was a Battleship that you could see over his left shoulder.