Parking permits

After changing my car last week I have followed parking services instructions by returning the old permit and all the other documents they require, only to be told today when I rang them that they had not received them and that they must have been lost in the post. Then they tell me that I now have to provide proof that I no longer own the first car which I can't as its not been sold yet, when I asked where they expect me to park I was told somewhere safe and legal well as I live in the middle of hillsborough permit zone that is a bit difficult.How can the council make something so easy so hard,has anyone else had the same problem with them ?

After changing my car last week I have followed parking services instructions by returning the old permit and all the other documents they require, only to be told today when I rang them that they had not received them and that they must have been lost in the post. Then they tell me that I now have to provide proof that I no longer own the first car which I can't as its not been sold yet, when I asked where they expect me to park I was told somewhere safe and legal well as I live in the middle of hillsborough permit zone that is a bit difficult.How can the council make something so easy so hard,has anyone else had the same problem with them ?

How does your documents getting lost in the post equate to the Council making things hard for you? It's just bad luck, it happens sometimes.

Look at it from their point of view. As far as they are concerned, you already have a permit and you're asking them for another one without any proof of entitlement being provided.

They are giving you good advice on parking elsewhere. To park in a permit bay you must display a valid permit. If you can't, you are likely to receive penalties, which they are not likely to cancel.

Planner 1, giving good advice on parking you say I am on the middle of hillsborough all surrounding streets are permit only so you tell me where I can park legally until I get my new permit

Park around the back of taplin road if you're in the middle of hillsborough.. No parking permits required and always spaces available

Did you not send the documents with them being important by either recorded or special delivery? You can then claim the money back from royal mail

Planner 1, giving good advice on parking you say I am on the middle of hillsborough all surrounding streets are permit only so you tell me where I can park legally until I get my new permit

Ever heard of self serve? The info is out there, you just need to look.

It is the drivers responsibility to park at all times in complaince with prevailaing restrictions. So it's your responsibility to find out what they are and where they apply.

A quick examination of the Council's website will take you to this page: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/parking-permits/parking-zones.html where you can find maps of all the permit zones showing all the types of restrictions they contain. All zones have some free parking in them and you can of course pay and display.

As I mentioned earlier, if you do park in permit bays withot displaying a permiot, you ar likey to get penalties and they are unlikely to be mindd to let you off now that they have advised you that you shoudln't park there (and they will have documented the same in case of any appeal).

They normally turn permit applications around within 5 working days once they have received all of the required info. If you need the permit urgently, speak to them and request to pick the permit up from Howden House reception, which saves time waiting for the post to arrive (and cuts out the chance of the post office losing it of course).

do you not have a book of visitors permits?

will you car be outside your house during permit hours?

last time i was between cars, it took a couple of weeks to sort everything out and i used visitors permits on a saturday and was out at work on weekdays.

Good luck Jonny, council are only interested in ripping you off.

You'd hope that they would try to help you out and apply common sense but that's something that the council lack in abundance.

It may just be me being thick but if you still need a permit for the old car that you have not sold yet why did you send off the old permit?

If you were requiring an additional permit for your new car and you still own two cars why did you send off the old one?

Like I say, I'm sure it is just me misunderstanding the situation.

Good luck Jonny, council are only interested in ripping you off.

You'd hope that they would try to help you out and apply common sense but that's something that the council lack in abundance.

Ha! Ha! Ha! yes blame the council !!!!

If Jonny had used common sense in the first place and sent the permit by recorded delivery it would have been tracked and this situation would not have arisen.

It may just be me being thick but if you still need a permit for the old car that you have not sold yet why did you send off the old permit?

If you were requiring an additional permit for your new car and you still own two cars why did you send off the old one?

Like I say, I'm sure it is just me misunderstanding the situation.

He may still have old car but not need for permit on it.

For example parked in front of his winter villa or on parents drive.

His permit got lost and council wants proof that he sold car it applied to.

How many cars you own is irrelevant to cars you want parking permit on.

But that would require talking some sense into council clerks.

How hard can that be?

Ha! Ha! Ha! yes blame the council !!!!

If Jonny had used common sense in the first place and sent the permit by recorded delivery it would have been tracked and this situation would not have arisen.

Because of the above.

Jonny made a mistake and now it's the Councils fault !