Fitted wardrobe advice & recommendations - no advertising

Hi

I am looking for sharps or Hammonds quality at half the price. Can anyone recommend a fitted wardrobes company.

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for sharps or Hammonds quality at half the price. Can anyone recommend a fitted wardrobes company.

Thanks

Starlights ,they have 3 branches in Sheffield ,one down penistone road near b&q one down grimesthorpe and one on abbydale road .good prices and good workmanship .they come out measure up and once they have given you a quote its up to you to contact them if you want job doing ,they don't keep ringing you

Hi

Thanks

Ive got hammonds wardrobes,but I had to fit them myself (genuine), but at the end of the day its only chipboard the same as everyone else.

Think,

Would you buy a turd or a turd rolled in tinsel.

I`ve a slightly different question, we`re buying a house with fitted wardrobes etc in the main bedroom but the design isn`t really to our taste. What we`d like is all the doors changing, I think the carcasses are OK ? We went to Hornes / Starlight (we`ve used them before for custom built shelves etc) but I was a bit shocked by the prices, about £100 for one door. If you`ve 10 doors that`s a grand just for the doors, and we just want simple white doors with simple handles..... I didn`t really expect it to be that expensive ! Who else would be able to quote us to come out, measure up and replace all the doors (plus one or two fitted in shelf fronts) ? I really wouldn`t have thought actually fitting the doors would take long at all, unscrew the old ones and screw on the new ones, assuming they`ve been made to the correct sizes obviously !

Edited by Justin Smith

I've just ordered mine from DIYhomefit.co.uk, I have quite high standards so if you can wait I'll let you know what they are like. They are been installed on 5 April. You can literally order any size you like.

The doors are the expensive bits Justin.

There is a furniture shop on Infirmary Road, just behind the tram stop opposite the Tesco - you could try there. I think they also sell used furniture.

It is called Mr Slators Furnishings

https://www.yell.com/biz/mr-slators-furnishings-sheffield-7112433/

Edited by the_mandarin
More information

It's been a "discount" furniture place since <2000, always with a "massive sale" taking place.

It doesn't sell fitted furniture as far as I know.

I've just ordered mine from DIYhomefit.co.uk, I have quite high standards so if you can wait I'll let you know what they are like. They are been installed on 5 April. You can literally order any size you like.

Do they come and measure them or do you have to do it your self ? It`s just that measuring them up, even more so if the hinges are pre-fitted, has to be absolutely spot on....... If the hinges aren`t pre-fitted that then means fitting them becomes rather more than a quick screwdriver job !

It's easy, measure your existing doors, measure your existing hinge points and there are boxes for you to put all the info in, make sure you select matching edges etc whatever you want then just swap the doors.

I am having a joiner because I'm having new carcass's and side panels etc so if you wanted him to do it, he would order them for you too.

The doors are the expensive bits Justin.

I thought they were made from MDF ? ! ? I suppose it depends how automated the production process is. If they`re made, or at least cut out by, a computer controlled cutting machine, why should they be so expensive ? ! You know, a basic design with just the sizes altered. Or am I being naïve thinking they could be made like that ? I`m just used to the fact that CNC machines (or computer controlled bending machines) make a lot of the products we sell.

---------- Post added 27-03-2016 at 21:11 ----------

It's easy, measure your existing doors, measure your existing hinge points and there are boxes for you to put all the info in, make sure you select matching edges etc whatever you want then just swap the doors.

I am having a joiner because I'm having new carcass's and side panels etc so if you wanted him to do it, he would order them for you too.

That`s an idea. I`m fairly confident I could measure the overall door sizes accurately, then get a joiner to actually fit them. Do you know a good reliable joiner ? ! ? I think we`ll be getting Horne`s round to do a quote, the lady in the shop was implying the prices they quote in the showroom could be subject to discount, we`ll see.

The doors are made from MDF yes, and finished with veneer or printed plastic.

The carcasses are made from cheaper materials, generally with no shaping and cut on site generally...