Do away with cycle lanes and speed bumps

Err, where exactly do you think it works?

I can think of several shared spaces. I wouldn't use most of them, and neither would a lot of other cyclists. Which is my point. They aren't working if competent cyclists instead use the road due to it being faster in several ways (not just the junctions you mentioned).

Err, where exactly do you think it works?

I can think of several shared spaces. I wouldn't use most of them, and neither would a lot of other cyclists. Which is my point. They aren't working if competent cyclists instead use the road due to it being faster in several ways (not just the junctions you mentioned).

My journey through sheffield would be much faster if I could use bus lanes and hop across the footpath as and when I choose. Your argument was thin to start with and I dont see it improving.

It works on some roads in sheffield fine. If your only opposition is that you cant slow down for a intersection. Thats pretty thin.

If you put cycle lane on footpath you will have pedestrians wandering onto it.

And that is not safe.

You need a driving licence to be legally on road. So you have to know about cycle lanes, markings etc.

You don't need walking licence to be on footpath. People are quite often unaware of markings and what they mean.

You can have there children or dogs who are completely oblivious to cycle lanes. Cyclists can move easily at 20 mph.

Cycle lanes are necessary to separate us all that have to us footpaths very now and then from cyclists.

Cyclists are lighter but they are traffic just like cars.

If you put cycle lane on footpath you will have pedestrians wandering onto it.

And that is not safe.

Nothing is ever 100% safe. It's all down to risk and if you take a look at the number of cyclists injured or killed on the roads compared to the number of cyclists/pedestrians injured in accidents on the footpath, the numbers speak for themselves.

Couple that with the fact that there are already cycle lanes painted on some sheffield footpaths. Now consider how other countries that have far great numbers of cyclists and how they integrate them with both the roads and pedestrians. Our method of forcing cyclists onto the roads is resulting in more injuries to cyclists than there needs to be.

I do not subscribe to this idea that its faster to use the roads etc etc. You are required to judge the level of danger for the road you are using and adjust your speed accordingly.

As the heading says.I could also add some traffic lights.

Cyclists don't stay in the lanes because they would be in the gutter,and they have to come out of the lanes anyway to follow their routes to wherever they are going.

Both these and the speed bumps are poorly maintained and cause more trouble than any benefit.

Stop constricting roads and allow motor traffic to use the roads as originally intended.

Your post is much too sensible, that's why it would never be implemented.

If it was about making the Tram/Bus journey better (more profitable) then it would be put in place asap.

Angel1.

Now consider how other countries that have far great numbers of cyclists and how they integrate them with both the roads and pedestrians. Our method of forcing cyclists onto the roads is resulting in more injuries to cyclists than there needs to be.

I have been riding bike in Belgium.

They have mixture of cycle paths separate from both road and footpath, cycle lanes and shared footpaths.

Depends on traffic, how busy footpaths are, road type etc.

I think we have quite a good balance in Sheffield.

Could always use some more, but each time I get stuck behind bus or bike I am grateful to those who take on such daring adventure. They are still more space efficient then I am.

People complaining about bikes or buses are basically complaining about other people being on road.

Our method of forcing cyclists onto the roads is resulting in more injuries to cyclists than there needs to be.

My bold

Its quite the opposite. Society is forcing cyclists off the road. they were on the road in the first place

As a rider, I seldom use them as they are inefficient.

There's people/dogs/kids wandering onto the bike part, which means 5-10mph travel tops

There's usually glass littered everywhere in the subway where some teenage cider drinker has shown his prowess at bottle smashing

Too many stop/starts, little angles and snickets, which at the end faces you at right angles onto a fast moving road.

Taxis and delivery vans park all over them, so you end up having to cross the line to get round them.

You can disagree, but a lifetime of cycling experience tells me they don't work. If it really is too dangerous, I use another route.

Funny thing is cyclone,there is quite a few horses on the roads up here and I have never seen a single motorist having a rant at them all been ok,but them cyclist chaps flying about at 30mph,madmen.

are you trolling? :suspect:

Funny thing is cyclone,there is quite a few horses on the roads up here and I have never seen a single motorist having a rant at them all been ok,but them cyclist chaps flying about at 30mph,madmen.

There are every growing numbers of disability scooters, there is one chap that lives near me rides a three wheeler, power pack bought off ebay, faster than and cooler than his normal wheel chair.

Hovver boards, will they become popular ;)

are you trolling? :suspect:

No chips,why would you think that?

My journey through sheffield would be much faster if I could use bus lanes and hop across the footpath as and when I choose. Your argument was thin to start with and I dont see it improving.

Does that mean, no, you can't provide an example of where it works?

Nobody talked about "hopping across" the pavements. And if you're talking about a journey on a bike, then you can already use the bus lanes.

The argument is sound, mixed use spaces aren't much use to anybody trying to make good progress on a bike, and unless there's a good reason to use them, they probably won't.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:42 ----------

Nothing is ever 100% safe. It's all down to risk and if you take a look at the number of cyclists injured or killed on the roads compared to the number of cyclists/pedestrians injured in accidents on the footpath, the numbers speak for themselves.

Couple that with the fact that there are already cycle lanes painted on some sheffield footpaths. Now consider how other countries that have far great numbers of cyclists and how they integrate them with both the roads and pedestrians. Our method of forcing cyclists onto the roads is resulting in more injuries to cyclists than there needs to be.

I do not subscribe to this idea that its faster to use the roads etc etc. You are required to judge the level of danger for the road you are using and adjust your speed accordingly.

The argument that you're supporting was that a mixed use space was better than a dedicated cycle only lane, separate from both motor traffic and pedestrian traffic.

I've pointed out why mixed use spaces are unpopular with cyclists. You don't want to accept that they are unpopular apparently.

Does that mean, no, you can't provide an example of where it works?

To be completely fair, no matter what example I give you will say it doesn't work only to then walk off with a smug look on your face thinking you have won the argument. The fact that numerous european cities utilise shared footpaths with cyclists goes to show it does work. Maybe it's just an issue with British cyclists who are incapable of sharing the space adequately.

Never the less, the cyclists I saw using the shared footpath on St Marys road seemed content and capable of not veering into the traffic or cutting down pedestrians.

Maybe the issue is not other road/foot path users, but is, infact (some) cyclists who want everything their way and will not compromise.