Do away with cycle lanes and speed bumps

Id personally like to see cyclists BANNED from the roads completly.

And immigrants too I should imagine.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 10:28 ----------

I don't have a problem with Cycle lanes, Bus lanes on the other hand cause a huge amount of congestion.

Speed bumps I hate with a passion. I'd sooner have more cameras installed.

No, congestion is caused by cars. Ok bus lanes etc may have a small impact but what people always forget is the main reason we have long queues of cars is because there are lots of cars. You and the OP seem to think if you got rid of bikes and buses and their respective lanes you'd magically all be able to drive everywhere much quicker. You wouldn't, you'd still sit in queues of cars.

You are not IN traffic, you ARE traffic. Every person on a bus or a bike is one fewer cars sitting in a queue.

Edited by TimmyR

I don't have a problem with Cycle lanes, Bus lanes on the other hand cause a huge amount of congestion.

I'd sooner have more cameras as at least they don't damage your car

It's not the bus lanes that cause congestion. It's car users, particularly large numbers of one person car users.

No, congestion is caused by cars. Ok bus lanes etc may have a small impact but what people always forget is the main reason we have long queues of cars is because there are lots of cars. You and the OP seem to think if you got rid of bikes and buses and their respective lanes you'd magically all be able to drive everywhere much quicker. You wouldn't, you'd still sit in queues of cars.

although I do remember that during the bus strike we had 5 years or so ago, traffic did move faster with far less congestion without the busses.

I think part of the problem is that when busses have bus lanes available it works well. When they have to merge with car traffic, it becomes a problem

What the UK needs, more than anything, is a proper dedicated infrastructure for cyclists.

Countries that invested in a dedicated cycle-infrastructure now reap massive benefits with massively lower car-usage on short trips.

although I do remember that during the bus strike we had 5 years or so ago, traffic did move faster with far less congestion without the busses.

I think part of the problem is that when busses have bus lanes available it works well. When they have to merge with car traffic, it becomes a problem

An entirely subjective observation. You don't know if traffic moved faster overall, you perceived it to move faster probably because it supports your theory that buses cause congestion. Its a human trait to see what you want to see.

I think cycle lanes should be on the footpath and not on the roads. Enough cyclists use the footpaths when it suits them anyway and the risk to both pedestrians and cyclists compared to cyclists and vehicles is much lower.

What the UK needs, more than anything, is a proper dedicated infrastructure for cyclists.

Countries that invested in a dedicated cycle-infrastructure now reap massive benefits with massively lower car-usage on short trips.

You mean the Netherlands tz? you need to be a bit fitter to get round Sheffield,if it wasn't so hilly I wouldn't mind nipping out on a bike.

I think cycle lanes should be on the footpath and not on the roads. Enough cyclists use the footpaths when it suits them anyway and the risk to both pedestrians and cyclists compared to cyclists and vehicles is much lower.

Most serious cyclists don't use the footpath and would continue to not use it.

It has pedestrians in it for a start. You can't safely do 25mph on a pavement. Or even 15 mph.

It also has no priority at every side road. Meaning you have to come to a near stop. In town side roads can be every 10 metres.

It simply makes no sense to use the pavement in many locations, even if someone were to stick up a sign saying you could do so.

Check out hte length of Langsett Rd from here heading into town.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3987185,-1.4917818,3a,75y,89.06h,91.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy_a8NMGFsu_CtdlWOPaMtA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know for a fact that I can travel faster than the tram on average on that stretch of road (into town, not out).

Look at how many times I'd have to stop if I were cycling on the pavement.

Admittedly, the 10 sets of traffic lights sometimes cause as many stops, but other times you hit them on green and draft the tram the entire way to Tesco's.

I don't think I would have the bottle to cycle along Penistone rd in the rush hour,I would be on the pavement if I did.

My OP was never concerned with any delays caused by either speed bumps or cycle lanes.

Only that we spend money installing them,struggle to maintain them and then they are not effective.

Competent cyclists and competent motorists have no need of a narrow cycle path that also includes drainage gulleys and grates.

Cycle routes are rarely continuous and disappear for stretches of narrow roads and junctions.

Pleasure cyclists go off into the countryside and happily ride,frequently 2 abreast without the "benefit" of dedicated cycle lanes.

I am not a cyclist now but I did used to cycle to work quite confidently amongst traffic.

The cycle lanes are some planners dream but they just don't work for anybody.

As for speed bumps I concede that they are effective in some circumstances,but counterproductive in others.

I just don't see the point in constructing roads for traffic to use and then making them into some kind of obstacle course in the name of traffic calming.

That's it tho isn't it. speed bumps, limits, cycle lanes ect are all put in place because of idiots and sometimes because of the fear of future idiocy.

I live nr to a school and a park but the road is nice and smooth and straight, most cars do normal speeds but there's a few easily do 50+ going past a school and a park!

eventually it will get bumps. because eventually some one will be hit by an idiot.