TV licence thread

3 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Who is forcing you fund the BBC?

I don't believe that it's reasonable in 2020 to force people, through fear of a criminal record and large fine, to pay a licence fee in order to watch (or record) non-BBC live television broadcasts.

By all means charge people for watching the BBC, if they wish to watch BBC content. For too long people who don't watch or consume any BBC content have been subsidising those who do. This must end. If people want the BBC, they should pay the true cost of that choice - not have their viewing habits subsidised by the poorest and most vulnerable people in society.

It's time to introduce some social justice to the out of touch, financially insulated BBC. It's time to DEFUND.

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I see no personal attacks. 

I simply pointed out that it costs to watch tv. If you choose to watch it, you choose to pay .

Do you believe that people who don't watch any BBC content should subsidise the viewing habits of those that do?

Edited by Car Boot

44 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I don't believe that it's reasonable in 2020 to force people.

Who is forcing these people?

49 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Do you believe that people who don't watch any BBC content should subsidise the viewing habits of those that do?

I don't drive on 99.99% of the vehicle roads I subsidise with my vehicle excise duty. Do I get a discount? Can I prove that?

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I choose what I do.

Good.

Glad you understand the simple concept. You choose to watch live broadcast television and therefore you choose to be liable for payment of the mandatory licence fee as according to the relevant law.

The licence fee is required for any broadcast television.  The fact that the government chooses to fund the BBC with it is irrelevant. The BBC could be disbanded tomorrow and you will still be liable for payment of a licence because that's what the law says.  

Are you really so naive to think that if the BBC disappeared the government would not find some other purpose from those revenues generated from licences to watch television signals.   

We are discussing the BBC and the Licence fee which pays for the BBC.

We are not discussing what I personally choose to watch or what I pay for.

The TV licence money should be paid out  to all broadcasters and not go solely to the BBC.

The BBC will certainly be disbanded eventually which I regard as a good thing and will be glad to see the back of the Gravy train.

I will be happy to pay for whatever I decide to watch and that is the model which I am sure will be in operation in less than a decade.

If you have opinions regarding the licence or the BBC then please air them.

Your opinions about me are not important and deviate from this thread.

Edited by Organgrinder

6 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Who is forcing these people?

I don't drive on 99.99% of the vehicle roads I subsidise with my vehicle excise duty. Do I get a discount? Can I prove that?

There is a law that forces people who watch non-BBC live television broadcasts to purchase a TV licence from TV Licensing (a trademark of the BBC). Over 90 per cent of licence fee funding goes to the BBC. 

I don't understand what point you are trying to make with your last statement. 

45 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

There is a law that forces people who watch non-BBC live television broadcasts to purchase a TV licence from TV Licensing (a trademark of the BBC). Over 90 per cent of licence fee funding goes to the BBC. 

Yup - an Act of Parliament - not a BBC edict.

23 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Yup - an Act of Parliament - not a BBC edict.

Would that be an act of Parliament passed by our sovereign parliament?  The parliament that we’ve just wrestled control of, from those damned European savages?

Just now, Pettytom said:

Would that be an act of Parliament passed by our sovereign parliament?  The parliament that we’ve just wrestled control of, from those damned European savages?

It was them furriners what made us do it....................................

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

You have answered your own question there. If you have a device that can receive live TV broadcasts then you have to have a licence by law. If you don't want to buy a licence then you don't have a device that can receive live TV  broadcasts.  Are you saying that people are forced to have devices that can receive live TV broadcasts? I don't get your stance on being "Forced" you need to explain it to me. 

6 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

You have answered your own question there. If you have a device that can receive live TV broadcasts then you have to have a licence by law. If you don't want to buy a licence then you don't have a device that can receive live TV  broadcasts.  Are you saying that people are forced to have devices that can receive live TV broadcasts? I don't get your stance on being "Forced" you need to explain it to me. 

I have many devices that can receive live television broadcasts but I am NOT required by law to purchase a TV licence simply for having these devices.

The law states quite clearly that "You only need a TV licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast or use iPlayer".

I watch on demand streaming services, Netflix, You tube etc. on my devices that are capable of receiving live television broadcasts, but I do not watch live television broadcasts or BBC iPlayer on them. 

I do not have a TV licence. I do not need a TV licence.

Just now, Car Boot said:

I have many devices that can receive live television broadcasts but I am NOT required by law to purchase a TV licence simply for having these devices.

The law states quite clearly that "You only need a TV licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast or use iPlayer".

I watch on demand streaming services, Netflix, You tube etc. on my devices that are capable of receiving live television broadcasts, but I do not watch live television broadcasts or BBC iPlayer on them. 

I do not have a TV licence. I do not need a TV licence.

Well done.

10 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Well done.

Thank you.

Together we shall Defund the BBC!