TV licence thread

6 hours ago, Car Boot said:

You do realise that during that week that you are unlicensed if you watch live television broadcasts then you are breaking the law and could face criminal prosecution and a £1000 fine?

Of course BAME people, disadvantaged and poorer audiences and those people living in Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are realising more and more that the privileged, wealthy middle class and out of touch BBC does not represent them in any shape or form and no longer wish to consume BBC content.

Who elected you as spokesman for the BAME community ? Or the disadvantaged?

I know many people from disadvantaged communities who love the BBC. Why do you assume that you can speak for them?

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I know many people from disadvantaged communities who love the BBC. Why do you assume that you can speak for them?

Actually it's The Guardian's Media Editor, Tim Waterson, who first mentioned BAME people, poorer communities and those in the north of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland no longer seeing the appeal of an affluent southern and very middle class BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/15/more-of-less-the-dilemma-facing-tim-davie-at-the-bbc

Perhaps you might ask him who elected himself a spokesperson for the BAME community ? Or the disadvantaged?

Edited by Car Boot

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Actually it's The Guardian's Media Editor, Tim Waterson, who first mentioned BAME people, poorer communities and those in the north of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland no longer seeing the appeal of an affluent southern and very middle class BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/15/more-of-less-the-dilemma-facing-tim-davie-at-the-bbc

Perhaps you might ask him who elected himself a spokesperson for the BAME community ? Or the disadvantaged?

Nice dodge. 

Who elected you as mouthpiece for the soft left Guardian?

27 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Absolutely nowhere in the article does it make reference to the words "privileged"  "out of touch"  "middle class" "southern" or "affluent" 

Once again you're applying your own twisted interpretation to push your biased agenda and desprately try present it on behalf of others. 

I’m curious about the intentions of those who castigate the BBC. If we remove them, we are left with a media that is largely controlled by billionaire news moguls, who pay little or no tax in the UK. I don’t want Rothermere, Desmond and the Barclay brothers to be in such a position of power over our media

The BBC has many faults. It may be that the licence fee requires careful reform. But on the whole, it provides an excellent service for the nation. A moderate voice in an increasingly frenzied media.

The siren voices, calling for defunding should explain their motivation.

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Indeed, and of course, if efforts are made to make it more relevant to those groups, CB is the first to decry those efforts as discrimination!

I'd ask again what measures they'd take to remedy this perceived imbalance, as I have several tens of times before, but there will be no answer.... so I won't :hihi: 

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I’m curious about the intentions of those who castigate the BBC. If we remove them, we are left with a media that is largely controlled by billionaire news moguls, who pay little or no tax in the UK. I don’t want Rothermere, Desmond and the Barclay brothers to be in such a position of power over our media

The BBC has many faults. It may be that the licence fee requires careful reform. But on the whole, it provides an excellent service for the nation. A moderate voice in an increasingly frenzied media.

There's a reason nations like the US look to the BBC to get their news, trusting it more than any national broadcaster.

22 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The siren voices, calling for defunding should explain their motivation.

Do you support the long held BBC view that people are guilty until proven innocent? 

People who don't watch live television broadcasts must, according to the BBC, inform BBC TV Licensing of this and then wait to be visited by BBC TV Licence enforcers for an interview and home inspection - to confirm that they are telling the truth.

The BBC states that this must be repeated periodically to check nothing has changed. Every time somebody moves home, they must also inform the BBC that they still don't watch live television broadcasts and then submit to regular home visits to confirm they have been telling the truth. All without being a BBC customer! No wonder some people just pay even when they don't watch TV...

In this warped BBC version of society people are judged as being guilty of being TV licence evaders until the BBC proves they are not. 

My motivation for opposing the BBC TV Licence fee is this reversal of the presumption of innocence by the national broadcaster, which goes against all natural law. The BBC passionately believes that 'Proof lies on him who denies, not on him who asserts."

Edited by Car Boot

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Do you support the long held BBC view that people are guilty until proven innocent? 

People who don't watch live television broadcasts must, according to the BBC, inform BBC TV Licensing of this and then wait to be visited by BBC TV Licence enforcers for an interview and home inspection - to confirm that they are telling the truth.

The BBC states that this must be repeated periodically to check nothing has changed. Every time somebody moves home, they must also inform the BBC that they still don't watch live television broadcasts and then submit to regular home visits to confirm they have been telling the truth. All without being a BBC customer! No wonder some people just pay even when they don't watch TV...

In this warped BBC version of society people are judged as being guilty of being TV licence evaders until the BBC proves they are not. 

My motivation for opposing the BBC TV Licence fee is this reversal of the presumption of innocence by the national broadcaster, which goes against all natural law. The BBC passionately believes that 'Proof lies on him who denies, not on him who asserts."

So, nothing about the BBC then, just the licence fee.

Are you happy allowing billionaires to control all of the media? You seem drawn to the wealthy in your political affiliations 

13 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

So, nothing about the BBC then, just the licence fee.

Are you happy allowing billionaires to control all of the media? You seem drawn to the wealthy in your political affiliations 

Nothing about the BBC?

What about its mantra that people who don't pay it's regressive TV tax are criminal evaders until they have proved to the BBC that they aren't?

Why do you defend the rich establishment and not the disadvantaged and vulnerable people it persecutes?

20 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Nothing about the BBC?

What about its mantra that people who don't pay it's regressive TV tax are criminal evaders until they have proved to the BBC that they aren't?

Why do you defend the rich establishment and not the disadvantaged and vulnerable people it persecutes?

You know, if you use something, you should pay for it.

Not paying the council tax is NOT a criminal offence.

Not paying the BBC TV licence IS a criminal offence.

End the injustice. Defund the BBC.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Not paying the council tax is NOT a criminal offence.

Not paying the BBC TV licence IS a criminal offence.

End the injustice. Defund the BBC.

Great value for money.

Like anything else .If you can not afford it do without.