TV licence thread

No such thing as a detector van...All lies

.... Decide for yourself...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

it's all very mysterious, and unless you are involved in enforcing the license, no one will ever know....

I have seen a van before that had a weird array on the top, and had TV Licensing on the side... wasn't either of the ones in that article though, and was about 20 years ago :S

EDIT:

It was SIMILAR to this one.... http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/05/article-0-188768C900000578-988_634x377.jpg

I'm amused at the people who don't pay a TV licence as they only watch the BBC on iPlayer and catch up services. If no one paid the TV licence, there would be no iPlayer or new BBC programmes to watch.

If you knowingly don't pay for a TV licence, do you also torrent TV shows and films to watch for free?

I'm amused at the people who don't pay a TV licence as they only watch the BBC on iPlayer and catch up services. If no one paid the TV licence, there would be no iPlayer or new BBC programmes to watch.

If you knowingly don't pay for a TV licence, do you also torrent TV shows and films to watch for free?

I actually watch iPlayer the least, it's usually All4 or ITVPlayer - or other streaming services....

Tbf iplayer is one of the big loopholes and the negotiation for the new charter will make sure you need a licence for that.

The TV licence people, if they believe an offence is or has been committed.

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 18:58 ----------

only if they find a very dumb magistrate and they can show very good reason...not easy:roll:

The TV licence people, if they believe an offence is or has been committed.

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 18:58 ----------

only if they find a very dumb magistrate and they can show very good reason...not easy:roll:

Well they manage to prosecute 3000-4000 a week.

I dont see why the magistrate has to be dumb to grant them a warrant for reasonable supsicion. Still doesnt alter the point that if they get a warrant then that permits them to enter your home, so your advice of not saying anything only causes a temporary delay.

I pay my TV licence, though I'm fairly selective in what I watch on TV. BBC really has gone down hill in the last 15 years, the standard of programmes are really poor. Though I do like the radio - worth it for the licence fee alone.

I don't know why all these people are admitting that they don't pay their licences like it's a badge of pride - would they feel as proud conning the DWP? Though they probably do that as well....

Tbf iplayer is one of the big loopholes and the negotiation for the new charter will make sure you need a licence for that.

Yes it is. What would be the solution?

I'm expecting something along the lines of an internet license. i.e. everybody who has home broadband or a mobile with internet capability should pay a three figure yearly "license fee" for having internet access whether they use the BBC or not.

I'm expecting something along the lines of an internet license. i.e. everybody who has home broadband or a mobile with internet capability should pay a three figure yearly "license fee" for having internet access whether they use the BBC or not.

No, it'll probably be registration based, fill in your name/address/email - and it verifies if there's a valid license under that name at that address etc...

that's how i'd imagine it at least...

No, it'll probably be registration based, fill in your name/address/email - and it verifies if there's a valid license under that name at that address etc...

that's how i'd imagine it at least...

That would make complete sense.

Which is why it won't happen. It would be a step toward a subscription based system and away from the current tax.

Dunno, but it will need to be something technology led. Probably something that password protects it and logging into an account would link you up to your licence details. Alternatively make it akin to netflix.

The negotiation of the new charter will be a pain and exhausting if the BBC wants to maintain its current revenue levels.

Well they manage to prosecute 3000-4000 a week.

I dont see why the magistrate has to be dumb to grant them a warrant for reasonable supsicion. Still doesnt alter the point that if they get a warrant then that permits them to enter your home, so your advice of not saying anything only causes a temporary delay.

:hihi: where do you get those figures from