TV licence thread

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

That everyone pays the same amount of TV Licence fee to the BBC is deeply regressive and means that, proportionate to income, the poor are paying much, much more than the wealthy.

The poor, in reality, are subsidising the viewing habits of those people who are far better off than themselves. Which is exactly how the rich want to keep it.

That applies to everything that is for sale.

You are living in a fools paradise!

UK total number of cancelled licences in force in 2018/19*

April 2018                     75,021

May 2018                      67,716

June 2018                     67,604

July 2018                       78,753

August 2018                73,367

September 2018       73,645

October 2018              82,023

November 2018         75,381

December 2018         77,477

January 2019              75,392

February 2019           73,991

March 2019                 73,970

* TV Licensing management information terms some cancellations as expired, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, and these are not reported as cancelled licences. These figures do not include licences cancelled for customers aged 74 when they turn 75 because these fall within the Over 75 free licences category.

Additionally, figures may be re-stated following end of financial year audits and therefore figures released previously under the Freedom of Information Act are subject to revision.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-licences-facts-and-figures-AB18

More and more people like you are cancelling their BBC TV licence every single month. Defund the BBC.

Edited by Car Boot

11 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

UK total number of cancelled licences in force in 2018/19*

April 2018                     75,021

May 2018                      67,716

June 2018                     67,604

July 2018                       78,753

August 2018                73,367

September 2018       73,645

October 2018              82,023

November 2018         75,381

December 2018         77,477

January 2019              75,392

February 2019           73,991

March 2019                 73,970

* TV Licensing management information terms some cancellations as expired, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, and these are not reported as cancelled licences. These figures do not include licences cancelled for customers aged 74 when they turn 75 because these fall within the Over 75 free licences category.

Additionally, figures may be re-stated following end of financial year audits and therefore figures released previously under the Freedom of Information Act are subject to revision.

More and more people like you are cancelling their BBC TV licence every single month. Defund the BBC.

Your figures show that roughly the same number have cancelled every month since April 2018.  Not ‘more and more.’

Do you have a reason for not mentioning that a cancelled licence includes one cancelled for non-payment - i.e. the customer hasn’t made the decision.  Trying to mislead people to make a point? Poor form old boy.

TV Licensing cancellations data is reported on a monthly basis and relates to licences in force where the licence has been cancelled by TV Licensing as a result of payment failure and by customers themselves. Consequently, these figures cannot be taken to mean solely the number of licences cancelled by customers.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

2 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Your figures show that roughly the same number have cancelled every month since April 2018.  Not ‘more and more.’

Do you have a reason for not mentioning that a cancelled licence includes one cancelled for non-payment - i.e. the customer hasn’t made the decision.  Trying to mislead people to make a point? Poor form old boy.

TV Licensing cancellations data is reported on a monthly basis and relates to licences in force where the licence has been cancelled by TV Licensing as a result of payment failure and by customers themselves. Consequently, these figures cannot be taken to mean solely the number of licences cancelled by customers.

There is an argument to say that the figures are following a downward trend since October 2018. As you say, the numbers are stable at worst.

Booty, if you have an interest in statistics, can I recommend the excellent “More or Less” on Radio 4. The next episode is on Wednesday at 9am, but you can listen to previous episodes on the BBC Sounds app.

Edited by Pettytom

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

There is an argument to say that the figures are following a downward trend since October 2018. As you say, the numbers are stable at worst.

Booty, if you have an interest in statistics, can I recommend the excellent “More or Less” on Radio 4. The next episode is on Wednesday at 9am, but you can listen to previous episodes on the BBC Sounds app.

I don't watch, read or listen to BBC content.

I don't need to be indoctrinated with the viewpoint of the privileged, upper middle class, privately educated, predominantly male establishment that the BBC represents.

Edited by Car Boot

17 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I don't need to be indoctrinated with the viewpoint of the privileged, upper middle class, privately educated, predominantly male establishment that the BBC represents.

Ah well.  

You should give it a go. Educating yourself is a worthy thing to do.

There is a lot of stuff that people don't use but they have to pay for, childless people paying tax for schools is one example.

I can't believe people are getting worked up over, what is essentially, an optional tax.

Don't want to pay it? Then don't have a TV or use any of the services that require a licence. It's not rocket science.

10 hours ago, whiteowl said:

There is a lot of stuff that people don't use but they have to pay for, childless people paying tax for schools is one example.

I can't believe people are getting worked up over, what is essentially, an optional tax.

Don't want to pay it? Then don't have a TV or use any of the services that require a licence. It's not rocket science.

Exactly. I watch tv via a Freeview box and, quite happily pay the licence fee for the entertainment I enjoy. 

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I began listening to radio 4 whilst feeling brain dead on maternity leave many years ago. You ought to give it a go-you’d be surprised at the diverse content and contributors (you can even hear the Yorkshire accent) and , I agree ‘More or Less’ debunks the world of statistics 

On 06/06/2020 at 17:27, altus said:

Put the blame where it lies. The only reason that happened is the government stopped funding TV licences for over 75s leaving a huge shortfall in the BBC's budget. It deliberately did it this way so they the blame for any changes would be attached to the BBC rather than the government who made the cuts.

Incorrect. 

Tony Hall, BBC Director General, stated when the deal with the government was made for the BBC to fund TV Licences for the over 75s in return for annual increases to the TV Licence and the inclusion of the iPlayer in the Licence fee:

“I think we have a deal here which is a strong deal for the BBC. It gives us financial stability.”

The BBC chief  also said: “The government’s decision here to put the cost of the over-75s on us has been more than matched by the deal coming back for the BBC."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/07/tony-hall-licence-fee-deal-bbc-dwp-george-osborne

The BBC was eager to accept the deal, but later reneged. The government kept to its side of the funding deal, the BBC did not.

The blame lays entirely with the untrustworthy, greedy BBC. 

On 06/06/2020 at 17:27, altus said:

Edited by Car Boot

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Incorrect. 

Tony Hall, BBC Director General, stated when the deal with the government was made for the BBC to fund TV Licences for the over 75s in return for annual increases to the TV Licence and the inclusion of the iPlayer in the Licence fee:

“I think we have a deal here which is a strong deal for the BBC. It gives us financial stability.”

The BBC chief  also said: “The government’s decision here to put the cost of the over-75s on us has been more than matched by the deal coming back for the BBC."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/07/tony-hall-licence-fee-deal-bbc-dwp-george-osborne

The BBC was eager to accept the deal, but later reneged. The government kept to its side of the funding deal, the BBC did not.

Car Boot, why did you say more and more people are cancelling their licences when the figures actually show no such thing?

Why did you not mention that the figures include those who's licence had been cancelled for non-payment and not just those which were cancelled out of choice?

Do you struggle to make your case if you present the information accurately?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Then there's the reality, Tony Hall tried to put a positive spin on having a metaphorical gun put ot his head and told to accept what he was given.

Nope, the public made the final decision, and we all know how you feel about ignoring the "will of the people" :?

Regardless, pension credit recipients will still get a free license, the rest can afford it.

8 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Why let minor details like reality and accuracy get in the way of a good rant :P

Edited by Magilla

8 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Car Boot, why did you say more and more people are cancelling their licences when the figures actually show no such thing?

Why did you not mention that the figures include those who's licence had been cancelled for non-payment and not just those which were cancelled out of choice?

I stated that more and more people are cancelling their BBC TV Licence because the figures show exactly that.

How many TV Licences are in force in the UK?

Financial year 2018/19..........25,752,560

Financial year 2017/18..........25,836,495

There is a steady downward trend. This is with the number of households in the UK rising.

Do you struggle to do the barest research on a topic before making an innacurate accusation?