TV licence thread

13 minutes ago, Mossway said:

BBC programmes may not be interrupted by adverts but there’s an interminable number of so called ‘trails’ between programmes, every couple of minutes before the hour and often on the half hour.

I can’t see why they can’t flog those minutes for adverts.

Being a cynic i bet in reality they are - they're probably sold to the production company or BBC outlet responsible. It just uses BBC money to pay the BBC.

Very much like Mike Ashley only advertising House of Fraser on billboards at St James Park.

58 minutes ago, willman said:

Why should anyone get BBC for free? If we're being encouraged to use paid streaming services whats the problem paying for BBC.

If elderly vulnerable people over 75 years of age can't afford to pay for their BBC TV Licence fee it should be funded from the £3.6 billion the BBC receives for the Licence fee every year.

The very wealthy, upper middle class, public school educated BBC management don't want this as they hate the UK poor. 

Edited by Car Boot

29 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

If elderly vulnerable people over 75 years of age can't afford to pay for their BBC TV Licence fee it should be funded from the £3.6 billion the BBC receives for the Licence fee every year.

The very wealthy, upper middle class, public school educated BBC management don't want this as they hate the UK poor. 

The BBC going to a subscription based model is fine with me. I would gladly pay it. 

Do you know what I hate most? An ill informed electorate who is stupid enough to be unable to disseminate information appropriately to end up with a reasoned opinion. This is the majority of the country. 

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The BBC doesn't care about the little old ladies. It only cares that the little old ladies give the BBC their money.

My 92 year old relative doesnt know what to do with his money, now that broadband and calls are so cheap.

10 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My 92 year old relative doesnt know what to do with his money, now that broadband and calls are so cheap.

Not every over 75 years old is in the same situation. 

6 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Not every over 75 years old is in the same situation. 

But generally speaking, the older generation are more likely to be home owners and have more assets than 20/30 year olds. Agree?

51 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I don't the hatred is as much as yours appears to be .

So lets stop the BBC and watch how many over 75s can watch free tv then. The people you are trying to defend are quite capable of not watching BBC  if they don't want to pay for it.

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

But generally speaking, the older generation are more likely to be home owners and have more assets than 20/30 year olds. Agree?

Most working class over 75's haven't bought their own homes. Most middle class over 75's who were in non manual jobs have bought their homes.

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

The BBC going to a subscription based model is fine with me. I would gladly pay it. 

Do you know what I hate most? An ill informed electorate who is stupid enough to be unable to disseminate information appropriately to end up with a reasoned opinion. This is the majority of the country. 

You mean you hate the majority of people in society because they hold a different opinion to your good self.

56 minutes ago, willman said:

I don't the hatred is as much as yours appears to be .

So lets stop the BBC and watch how many over 75s can watch free tv then. The people you are trying to defend are quite capable of not watching BBC  if they don't want to pay for it.

Forcing a group of elderly and vulnerable people who may, in many cases, be living with a combination of disability, low income and loneliness to navigate an uncaring bureaucracy to pay their TV licence (if they can afford it) is a recipe for cruelty and persecution.

12 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Forcing a group of elderly and vulnerable people who may, in many cases, be living with a combination of disability, low income and loneliness to navigate an uncaring bureaucracy to pay their TV licence (if they can afford it) is a recipe for cruelty and persecution.

There are many others that fall into all those categories with the exception of being old,

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The government has shifted the cost to the BBC when it should have continued to fund the cost itself.

Why should the BBC use its income to subsidise part of its viewership.

You can argue long and hard about how wisely the BBC spends its’ income,but subsidising part of its audience should not be part of the remit.

Might as well ask BT to give free services to the same group.

BTW those who you refer to in your final paragraph are the very same who you support to deliver a Brexit that will benefit the downtrodden masses.

Edited by RJRB