TV licence thread

I don't think BBC radio is the great thing it once was.

Lots of shake ups, departures, internal politics and a new controller shoehorning new youth orientated music into radio stations 1,2 and 6 are causing many listeners to leave.

Not to mention the issues at Radio 4 earlier in the year.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

Or watch any of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV all of which have content to rival the BBC!

and may well have done. Only recently Russian trolls were uncovered sending identical pro-brexit letters to many local newspapers.

A diet of American TV shows, movies and documentaries with a massive 30 hours of new content a month.

And you pay for it?

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

No they don't where's the radio, the current affairs and the in depth journalistic investigating?

They rival other many other areas though. 

To be honest BBC news is awful nowadays in my opinion. I stopped using it as a reliable news source years ago, as have many other people I know.

BBC radio has some good documentaries, though you don't need a licence to listen to them.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

A diet of American TV shows, movies and documentaries with a massive 30 hours of new content a month.

And you pay for it?

They have many British programs (two of which are effectively high profile poaching of programs from the BBC) and many foreign language programs. No idea where you get the idea its just American stuff, and even if it was much of it is far higher quality than similar programs on the BBC.

34 minutes ago, nightrider said:

They have many British programs (two of which are effectively high profile poaching of programs from the BBC) and many foreign language programs. No idea where you get the idea its just American stuff, and even if it was much of it is far higher quality than similar programs on the BBC.

The BBC co-produce content in partnership with Netflix to suppliment the license fee, in some cases they're the same programs.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-23/british-drama-global-budgets-how-co-productions-are-changing-the-way-tv-gets-made/

"We’ve been working much more in partnership with the BBC on many projects, and directly with the production companies who also partner with the BBC,” says Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer for Netflix, when asked why the service wanted to work with the BBC.

They may not be over the top special effects bonanzas, but lower quality they certainly aren't.

35 minutes ago, Magilla said:

The BBC co-produce content in partnership with Netflix to suppliment the license fee, in some cases they're the same programs.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-23/british-drama-global-budgets-how-co-productions-are-changing-the-way-tv-gets-made/

"We’ve been working much more in partnership with the BBC on many projects, and directly with the production companies who also partner with the BBC,” says Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer for Netflix, when asked why the service wanted to work with the BBC.

They may not be over the top special effects bonanzas, but lower quality they certainly aren't.

It only seems to be two programs (The Last Kingdom - which the bbc is not involved with for the last two series, and Troy - I enjoyed Troy, but the Last Kingdom is very average). Most of the best programs from HBO (via NowTV/Sky), Netflix , Amazon are not available at all on the BBC as far as I know (and no the good quality stuff does not rely on special effects as you imply).

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

A 100 times less new content for 4 times more

Zero hours of new British content for 4 times more sounds like a really good bargain.

Where do I get the idea its just American TV shows, movies and documentaries?  From the Netfix website that is trying to sell it to me of course.

The current 30 hours of new programming for June shows not one, not two, but zero hours of new British content.

Foreign language programming??? 

Totally agree that the BBC does not make high quality American TV shows,  American movies and American documentaries- we should leave that "standard" to the Americans for who it is designed for.

Americans love that fact there are no adverts on Netflix.

It should only be free to those who need it.

It doesn't have to be means tested as such. DWP can inform TV licensing (with consent) if the household is eligible for it , or the household ticks a box on the licence application that they are entitled to it free, allowing TV licensing to get the ok from DWP. Can be simple and easy.

Spend the money on something more worthwhile.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

A 100 times less new content for 4 times more

Zero hours of new British content for 4 times more sounds like a really good bargain.

Where do I get the idea its just American TV shows, movies and documentaries?  From the Netfix website that is trying to sell it to me of course.

The current 30 hours of new programming for June shows not one, not two, but zero hours of new British content.

Foreign language programming??? 

Totally agree that the BBC does not make high quality American TV shows,  American movies and American documentaries- we should leave that "standard" to the Americans for who it is designed for.

Americans love that fact there are no adverts on Netflix.

I have watched David Attenboroughs new series on netflix and Ricky Gervais new series on netflix in the last few months for example. Chernobyl, just out on Sky, has an (almost) all British cast of actors. 

To me though, it does not matter who made it - quality is what matters, not point of origin. So it's really not an issue how much is British made or US made.

Edited by nightrider

In this digital day & age it would be easily possible to say I don't want any BBC channels, therefore I don't have to pay for them with a licence fee.  

I'm sure at one time the licence fee was only required if you were watching the BBC?  Then a few decades ago this was changed to if you have any TV receiving equipment.   

So it doesn't matter if you only watch tv o your mobile, you still require a license. 

"The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.. "

8 minutes ago, nightrider said:

It only seems to be two programs (The Last Kingdom - which the bbc is not involved with for the last two series, and Troy - I enjoyed Troy, but the Last Kingdom is very average). Most of the best programs from HBO (via NowTV/Sky), Netflix , Amazon are not available at all on the BBC as far as I know (and no the good quality stuff does not rely on special effects as you imply).

Wanderlust was another with Netflix, Good Omens is a BBC/Amazon co-production, Gentleman Jack(BBC/HBO), Band of Brothers (BBC/Dreamworks/HBO).. the yet to arrive His Dark Materials (BBC/New Line + others) distributed by HBO... are just a few....

Not to mention the other stuff that Netflix and co are lapping up like Killing Eve, Luther, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders, Top Gear, everything Natural History etc...

The notion that the BBC's output is of lower quality simply doesn't stack up to scrutiny, you may not like all of it, but that's public service for you...

Given the BBC's mandate and level of funding, it punches well above its weight (IMHO).