TV licence thread

21 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Good point.

Some of those women are single mothers who end up in prison- I think 'brutalised' is an appropriate term.

You can’t go to prison for non-payment of the tv licence.

So, “brutalised” is a totally inappropriate term.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You can’t go to prison for non-payment of the tv licence.

So, “brutalised” is a totally inappropriate term.

They go to prison for non-payment of the consequent magistrates fines 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4130060/More-women-men-jailed-TV-licenses.html

"Some 20 women in England and Wales went to prison in 2015 over their TV licence, up from 11 the year before, revealed figures released by the Ministry of Justice under the Freedom of Information Act."

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4130060/More-women-men-jailed-TV-licenses.html

"Some 20 women in England and Wales went to prison in 2015 over their TV licence, up from 11 the year before, revealed figures released by the Ministry of Justice under the Freedom of Information Act."

I know. But you can’t go to prison for non-payment of the tv licence.

I can think of two easy ways to avoid the fine and potential subsequent imprisonment. One of the ways is totally free.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

Need to pay it then dont they.

This is not exactly rocket science.   A court orders you to do something.  You do it or get punished. 

I'm not going to waste my time trying to get through to people who are OK with single mothers being jailed over the TV license.

The main socially useful thing I can do here is point out that there are several causal factors that lead to these people being jailed, the most relevant one of which is that they do not know their rights.

If they did know their rights they wouldn't end up being fined or jailed, even though they have a tv.

So, if you do object to the BBCs policy, if you think it is wrong that they demand their fee even for people who don't use their tv for BBC, if you think it is socially wrong for single mothers to be jailed over the license, etc, then spread the word-

Anyone who gets a knock on the door and opens it to a license inspector, be aware that you are under no obligation to let them in, or even to talk to them. Simply shut the door, and go about your business.

They can't do a thing about it, other than sent intimidating letters and, technically, apply for  a search warrant- the chances of a judge giving them one is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Getting that message out to potential victims will save them from fines and jail- IMO a far better use of your time than wasting it on the likes of these threads, futiley trying to reason with license supporters.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I'm not going to waste my time trying to get through to people who are OK with single mothers being jailed over the TV license.

The main socially useful thing I can do here is point out that there are several causal factors that lead to these people being jailed, the most relevant one of which is that they do not know their rights.

If they did know their rights they wouldn't end up being fined or jailed, even though they have a tv.

So, if you do object to the BBCs policy, if you think it is wrong that they demand their fee even for people who don't use their tv for BBC, if you think it is socially wrong for single mothers to be jailed over the license, etc, then spread the word-

Anyone who gets a knock on the door and opens it to a license inspector, be aware that you are under no obligation to let them in, or even to talk to them. Simply shut the door, and go about your business.

They can't do a thing about it, other than sent intimidating letters and, technically, apply for  a search warrant- the chances of a judge giving them one is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Getting that message out to potential victims will save them from fines and jail- IMO a far better use of your time than wasting it on the likes of these threads, futiley trying to reason with license supporters.

Or, alternatively, get a tv licence.

Or, just don’t watch live TV.

Its not that difficult.

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Or, alternatively, get a tv licence.

Or, just don’t watch live TV.

Its not that difficult.

There is no difficulty- just close the door :)

8 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

There is no difficulty- just close the door :)

Or, maybe, just obey the law.

Like most of us.

On 04/12/2020 at 23:07, Pettytom said:

Or, maybe, just obey the law.

Like most of us.

I agree, where’s the argument? I might not like it but if I choose to receive a service I have to pay for it. You might disagree with the penalty for non payment or even the current BBC funding method 

but that shouldn’t condone people happy to enjoy the service as it stands but not willing to pay for it and pass on the enforcement costs to those who honour their obligations. 

The real question is not whether 'the law' requires payment of a TV Licence fee but whether there should be:

a. a criminal offence of not paying, i.e. prosecution for non-payment; or

b. no such criminal offence but instead a contractual obligation to pay, with civil enforcement proceedings for non-payment.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The real question is not whether 'the law' requires payment of a TV Licence fee but whether there should be:

a. a criminal offence of not paying, i.e. prosecution for non-payment; or

b. no such criminal offence but instead a contractual obligation to pay, with civil enforcement proceedings for non-payment.

Is it?  

I think it’s pretty obvious that Car boot and others don’t want to pay a TV licence if they don’t watch the BBC.  Whether it’s a criminal or civil offence is not their argument at all. 

Edited by Arnold_Lane

All the BBC have offered over the Xmas period is a mass of repeats, hardly any new programmes at all. They don't even offer a plus one hour channel and they can't even keep to time.Anybody who records a BBC program will be lucky if they get the ending as programmes are often several minutes late finishing.For this abysmal mess we are required by law to pay about ÂŁ170 per year.It would be nice to know just what The BBC are spending our money on ,it certainly isn't new programmes, it must be on obscene wages to second rate presenters. The BBC is now unfit for purpose and it is time the licence fee was stopped.