TV licence thread

45 minutes ago, Magilla said:

You haven't included the cost of broadband that is required to receive these services :?

Maybe not, do you only use your broadband for TV? I know I don't. It does add a cost but so does buying the TV in the first place, and the electricity to run it.

47 minutes ago, zach said:

Maybe not, do you only use your broadband for TV? I know I don't. It does add a cost but so does buying the TV in the first place, and the electricity to run it.

True enough, but it is a related cost to the services you mention.

In relation to the supposedly "persecuted poor",  which I appreciate you're not necessarily commenting on but was the jist of the discussion that led to price comparisons, it's a cost that must also be included.

It's also worth mentioning that the services you mention aren't really comparable to the BBC, they have no local/regional/national news output at all (for example).

Edited by Magilla

Defund BBC campaigners 'pushing at open door' to scrap licence fee as momentum builds

By CLAIRE ANDERSON

CONSERVATIVE MP Christian Wakeford has demanded the BBC scraps its licence fee model and implements a subscription service. Mr Wakeford claimed the BBC would be able to survive on a subscription model if they provide quality entertainment. Speaking to the Defund the BBC campaign, the Tory MP noted decriminalising the BBC is the first step. He said: "We need to get rid of the licence fee model.

"If the BBC is confident in their shows, the BBC does make some entertaining shows and people want to view them. Why not just have the subscription model like everybody else? You will literally survive based on whether or not you're providing quality entertainment. That really has to be the way we end up going. If that means you now have ads, which granted most people don't like, for a few extra minutes of each show so be it."

The MP claimed there was momentum building for a rethink on the licence fee model in Westminster. He said: “We’re pushing against an open door, it’s just about how quickly we can get the progress we all want to see.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347731/bbc-news-defund-the-bbc-tv-licence-row-latest-christian-wakefield-vn

Unfortunately  the BBC is not at all confident about its shows, and recognises that it simply doesn't have the quality to attract enough customers to voluntarily purchase it's product, under subscription, if the blunt legal instrument of the BBC TV licence fee were removed.

The BBC is well aware that the only funding model that is viable for its very expensive product is one where fear of the consequences of not having a valid BBC TV licence menaces people into purchasing one. 

Time to Defund the BBC and bring it firmly into the 21st Century.

Edited by Car Boot

On 05/10/2020 at 10:10, alchresearch said:

Easy, the content doesn't reflect that management.

I have no doubt that the management of most companies are the same, it doesn't mean they're not doing a good job.  

Look at Tesco, all white faces:

https://www.tescoplc.com/about/board-board-committees-and-executive-committee/executive-committee/

Glad the BBC's content doesn't reflect the management or it would be even worse than it is now.

Are you claiming that the BBC management are doing a good job then?

We are not forced by law to fund Tesco so they can do what they like within the law.

54 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We are not forced by law to fund Tesco so they can do what they like within the law.

Who is forcing you fund the BBC?

39 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Who is forcing you fund the BBC?

Well, if you don't know, try watching TV without a licence and you will find out.

7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Well, if you don't know, try watching TV without a licence and you will find out.

Dont watch TV then

30 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I choose what I do.

Not forced then.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

I choose what I do.

Choose away.

When a choice incurs a cost, you’ll just have to pay your dues.

41 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Choose away.

When a choice incurs a cost, you’ll just have to pay your dues.

Again, I will always choose what I do and whenever that incurs a cost, I will still choose what I do.

This thread is discussing the BBC and the TV licence fee but it would seem that, andyofborg,  Magilla &  Pettytom seem to think it's about my

personal choices of what I watch and what I pay but,  that is not up for discussion and therefore, I choose what I do, with or without your invitations.

You are all fully entitled to your views on the BBC and the debate over TV licences  and can rightly air them on this forum as I do.

Personal attacks just prove that you all have nothing useful to add to the debate and are just on the forum in an argumentative frame of mind to goad others.

20 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Again, I will always choose what I do and whenever that incurs a cost, I will still choose what I do.

This thread is discussing the BBC and the TV licence fee but it would seem that, andyofborg,  Magilla &  Pettytom seem to think it's about my

personal choices of what I watch and what I pay but,  that is not up for discussion and therefore, I choose what I do, with or without your invitations.

You are all fully entitled to your views on the BBC and the debate over TV licences  and can rightly air them on this forum as I do.

Personal attacks just prove that you all have nothing useful to add to the debate and are just on the forum in an argumentative frame of mind to goad others.

I see no personal attacks. 

I simply pointed out that it costs to watch tv. If you choose to watch it, you choose to pay .