TV licence thread

On 20/08/2020 at 19:44, ECCOnoob said:

I am not convinced by that.  There are still plenty of news channels broadcasting 24 hours a day and even one main bullein a day on the the normal channels would be enough for most people's consumption.

As for the internet there are plenty of 'elderly' now who have ample access.   In another decade there will be significantly more.  After all by 2030 it would have been a known thing available in people's own homes for over 36 years. More than half a lifetime of that generation of elderly.    2019 statistics from the ITU estimate the 82% of European citizens use the internet.  Add another 10 years and I really don't think access will be the the concern at all.    

I think the predictions made in the article are quite right and and like all other broadcast services news delivery has to adapt.

Maybe, but a problem that hasn't been considered is mental decline in the elderly.

I'm not being rude, I know from experience that I'm not as sharp as I once was, and my recall/memory isn't as quick as it was. This is true of similarly aged friends and seems to be quite general. And that's even though we work hard at keeping our brains etc active. Dexterity, eyesight, hearing etc are also added complications that also come into play as well as cost.

The world is becoming much more complicated place, and technology is changing all the time, it's not always easy to keep up.    

The rich face paying more to watch TV: BBC licence fee could be replaced by means-tested 'household tax', says Lord Tony Hall as he prepares to step down as director-general

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8669521/BBC-licence-fee-replaced-means-tested-household-tax.html

"Speaking on Radio 4's The Media Show, he described the attempts by Government to get the BBC to handle the issue as 'nuclear', as he was forced to choose between charging pensioners the licence fee and making huge cuts to services.

'I thought about resigning, but at that moment I thought you've got to get in there and try to stop this or ameliorate what they are proposing to do,' he told the BBC's media editor Amol Rajan."

Very strange that Lord Hall has said now that he thought about resigning when at the time he was very triumphant that he had struck a strong deal with the government, which gave the BBC financial stability.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/07/tony-hall-licence-fee-deal-bbc-dwp-george-osborne

Those very wealthy historical revisionists at the very top of the BBC - have they ever told the truth about anything?

Lord Hall, when BBC Director General, bitterly opposed a more progressive licence fee and is only calling for it now that he has left the position. 

Defund these rich BBC parasites.

Edited by Car Boot

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

"Speaking on Radio 4's The Media Show, he described the attempts by Government to get the BBC to handle the issue as 'nuclear', as he was forced to choose between charging pensioners the licence fee and making huge cuts to services."

So, in effect, he had a gun held to his head and was *forced* to make a choice. :?

Very strange that Lord Hall has said now that he thought about resigning when at the time he was very triumphant that he had struck a strong deal with the government, which gave the BBC financial stability.

It's not strange at all, that would be that "spin" mentioned earlier :?

Top marks for completely undermining all your previous claims though, 10/10! :thumbsup:

Edited by Magilla

6 hours ago, Magilla said:

So, in effect, he had a gun held to his head and was *forced* to make a choice. :?

Top marks for completely undermining all your previous claims though, 10/10! :thumbsup:

Why has the BBC gone from a "strong deal" and "financially stable" in 2015 to a funding crisis and an unprecedented closure of services if no changes to the over 75s free licences were made (and this was before Covid 19) in 2020?

11 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Why has the BBC gone from a "strong deal" and "financially stable" in 2015 to a funding crisis and an unprecedented closure of services if no changes to the over 75s free licences were made (and this was before Covid 19) in 2020?

Why are you harping on about something *your own* posts now show you were completely wrong about?

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Why are you harping on about something *your own* posts now show you were completely wrong about?

I was examining the great leader of the BBC, Lord Hall. 

Not exactly renowned for his consistency of thought. One minute, according to the BBC toff,  the BBC is strong and stable. The next it's in a funding crisis and services must be cut.

Can we believe ANYTHING the BBC tells us?

Edited by Car Boot

17 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I was examining the great leader of the BBC, Lord Hall. 

Poorly, since you somehow failed to realise that every claim you've made re:free licences, turned out to be wrong! :?

Not exactly renowned for his consistency of thought.

Last week, according to you, he was a "seasoned and experienced negotiator"! :?

One minute, according to the BBC toff,  the BBC is strong and stable. The next it's in a funding crisis and services must be cut.

No doubt, you also believe we have a "World Beating Track and Trace System"... I mean, your new idol Boris said we do, so you have to... right?

Edited by Magilla

Good to see live international cricket return to the BBC this afternoon.

Yet another justification of the licence fee.

On 29/08/2020 at 11:46, Magilla said:

Lord Hall the **** head also suggested remove TV lisence and change its name to a housing tax dumbo. Also need money do they funny how they just funded £50 million pounds to BLM. DEFUND BBC 

Defund the BBC NOW.

14 minutes ago, terminator said:

Lord Hall the **** head also suggested remove TV lisence and change its name to a housing tax dumbo. Also need money do they funny how they just funded £50 million pounds to BLM. DEFUND BBC 

What are you going on about?

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Good to see live international cricket return to the BBC this afternoon.

Yet another justification of the licence fee.

If this is your cultural argument for a compulsory television licence fee it is very weak.

There is no moral case for requiring disadvantaged and vulnerable people, especially women, to finance the BBC if they have no interest in its services. 

Edited by Car Boot