TV licence thread

43 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Best make sure you are paying your way then

The voice of the upper middle class establishment, the BBC, and it's privileged supporters demand that we pay their way.

But the current funding model, reliant upon an undemocratic, out of date regressive system of taxation designed to hurt the poorest in society, is broken. 

Edited by Car Boot

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The voice of the upper middle class establishment, the BBC, and it's privileged supporters demand that we pay their way.

But the current funding model, reliant upon an undemocratic, out of date regressive system of taxation designed to hurt the poorest in society, is broken. 

Just pay your dues like the rest of us.

Nobody likes a tax dodger.

I’m 66 and now retired and have paid for a tv licence since I was in my 20’s. I’m not eligible for Pension Credit and hopefully my pension won’t decrease when I get to 75 so why shouldn’t I pay for the licence? I now have a Freeview box which gives me ample viewing options for the the cost of the licence fee. I think a subscription cost would end up being comparable with other providers and a lot more expensive. I  don’t know what is so magical about being 75, some a lot younger will sit in front of the tv all day whilst some a lot older will be out and about and watch tv minimally 

With the licence fee we also get free online news, which some media moguls have made subscription only.

When we also think about a Russian biased news service from RT, the BBC needs to be sherrished.

It is quite posible that the funding of the BBC needs to change, because how we get information and online has brought about massive changes.

On 02/08/2020 at 19:36, Pettytom said:

It's not really the rest of us though as that only applies if you need a license, and I don't need or pay for one.

On 02/08/2020 at 19:36, Pettytom said:

Nobody likes a tax dodger.

I don't know, Ken Dodd was popular enough.

32 minutes ago, Angela P said:

I don't know, Ken Dodd was popular enough.

Ken Dodd was acquitted of tax evasion :?

The BBC wants nan's pension.

Greedy vultures.

Defund the BBC. 

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The BBC wants nan's pension.

Greedy vultures.

Defund the BBC. 

So does the gas company and water board and telephone company and local council and electricity board and vehicle licence authority too. 

What exactly is your point?  

If nan wants the service of live broadcast television  then she needs to pay the annual licence fee as the law dictates.  A law as set, debated and passed by our democratically elected politicians. 

Everybody else gets on and pays it and just being old does not automatically entitle someone to a free lunch.  

Given the amount of time you spend obsessing over this subject you really should join the Daily Mail - they hate the BBC nearly as much as you do.  

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

So does the gas company and water board and telephone company and local council and electricity board and vehicle licence authority too. 

Does a customer of NPower get enforcement officers from British Gas calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a British Gas supply?

Does a customer of Yorkshire Water get enforcement officers from Thames Water calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a Thames Water supply?

Does a customer of Vodafone get enforcement officers from BT calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving the BT network?

Does a customer of Sheffield City Council get enforcement officers from Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving any council services from Barnsley Council?

Of course not. But the out of touch, out of date regressive BBC targets non customers in this way for intimidation, threats and demands for money with menaces.

Edited by Car Boot

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Does a customer of NPower get enforcement officers from British Gas calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a British Gas supply?

Does a customer of Yorkshire Water get enforcement officers from Thames Water calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a Thames Water supply?

Does a customer of Vodafone get enforcement officers from BT calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving the BT network?

Does a customer of Sheffield City Council get enforcement officers from Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving any council services from Barnsley Council?

Of course not. But the out of touch, out of date regressive BBC targets non customers in this way for intimidation, threats and demands for money with menaces

If they had a reasonable suspicion a customer was obtaining and using the supply without paying as required by the law - they would yes.   They would also be perfectly entitled to send non-payers as many threats and demands for money as they like until the debt is cleared. They can, have and would be entitled to litigate against such person and obtain relevant court orders.   

Does the DVLA use check who is driving untaxed vehicles and use enforcement officers ?h  What is your point?  

Stop trying to make excuses and justify law breakers.   It's disgraceful.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

If you’re going to copy and paste can you please provide a link to the source.