TV licence thread

The Conservative party, mostly unknown for its diverse leadership, has appointed a Black and Minority Ethnic man and a Black and Minority Ethnic woman to two of the four highest offices of state, and appointed others to the cabinet.

The one-colour, one-sex nature of the senior leadership of the BBC makes it look dangerously out of touch and aggressively resistant to progressive change. Time to close down this backwards looking dinosaur of broadcasting.

Edited by Car Boot

17 hours ago, Footy 4 All said:

The BBC is still holding the noose over pensioners heads, delaying it until August will not be making anyone feel any better.

Its a shame that the BBC cannot find a way to fund itself without resorting to stealing from pensioners who have paid for their licences for over 50 years.

We need to put the blame for this shameful situation where it truly lays - with senior BBC management.

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The BBC Board of Directors has 13 members.

8 are men.

5 are women.

1 director is black and minority ethnic.

The white male who got the job of Director General was already on the board.

The shortlist of candidates for the job were 3 white men and 1 woman. 

The BBC passionately believes in equality and diversity for everyone EXCEPT it's senior management. 

Time to break up this dinosaur organisation which treats women and black and ethnic minority people as if the year is still 1970, not 2020.

How many applied?     Have you got the figures from the Office of Public Appointments to advise what ethinicity and socio-economic background each of the applicants head?.  Do you have a copy of the consultation committee notes setting out what the criteria for filtering  the nominations was?  Do you have the decision record and reasons for rejecting each nomination?

Figures please otherwise your post is meaningless.

PS:  You might also want to get a clue as to how to Board is actually appointed before you start with your "blaming" solely on BBC management.

Come on, if you are going to do a job - do it properly.

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The white male who got the job of Director General was already on the board.

So, in all likelyhood, was the "best, most qualified person for the job"...

...a system of selection you have championed time and time again! :?

Since you're steadfastly against any and every effort to correct this divide that anyone has tried, let's hear your suggestions as to what any organisation can do to address the racial/gender divide?

As someone who was "up in arms" when the BBC advertised for a BAME candidate for a program that was expressely for a BAME audience, you're on thin ice... really, you're part of the problem, not the solution... :P

Edited by Magilla

4 hours ago, Magilla said:

So, in all likelyhood, was the "best, most qualified person for the job"...

...a system of selection you have championed time and time again! :?

Since you're steadfastly against any and every effort to correct this divide that anyone has tried, let's hear your suggestions as to what any organisation can do to address the racial/gender divide?

As someone who was "up in arms" when the BBC advertised for a BAME candidate for a program that was expressely for a BAME audience, you're on thin ice... really, you're part of the problem, not the solution... :P

BBC double standards in operation, thank you for exposing it.

Of course, while the BBC will insist that a £12,000 per year job is open to BAME candidates only, to establish its wafer thin commitment to diversity, it would never allow senior management positions to go to anybody but white males, as we have seen time and time again over the decades.

22 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

BBC double standards in operation, thank you for exposing it.

Black person gets job, you complain, it's discrimination.

White person gets job, you complain, it's discrimination.

It's not the BBC's double standards showing here :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Of course, while the BBC will insist that a £12,000 per year job is open to BAME candidates only, to establish its wafer thin commitment to diversity, it would never allow senior management positions to go to anybody but white males, as we have seen time and time again over the decades.

Sure, well, except that BAME member of the board of directors :?

Still waiting for those suggestions on what *you* would suggest for any organisation to do to address this divide?

Have received a letter telling me I will have to pay for my TV licence from the  31st July.

However if my 75th birthday falls between now and that date I can apply for a free licence which will expire at the end ofJuly

I am nearly 80 so that doesn't apply.

Having to pay doesn't worry me as I put the  licence fee aside  each month for the last 5 years.

Off topic:   around the same time I received the joyful news that as I am 80  in June my State pension will increase by 25 pence. If this incorrect I can complain by writing to:........................

I will of course pay 20% tax on this.

I have decided to put the20 pence towards another  Hospice lottery ticket.

Edited by davyboy

On 07/06/2020 at 11:10, Car Boot said:

We need to put the blame for this shameful situation where it truly lays - with senior BBC management.

Nah - just doing the bidding of their Tory paymasters.

On 11/06/2020 at 19:44, davyboy said:

Have received a letter telling me I will have to pay for my TV licence from the  31st July.

However if my 75th birthday falls between now and that date I can apply for a free licence which will expire at the end ofJuly

I am nearly 80 so that doesn't apply.

Having to pay doesn't worry me as I put the  licence fee aside  each month for the last 5 years.

Off topic:   around the same time I received the joyful news that as I am 80  in June my State pension will increase by 25 pence. If this incorrect I can complain by writing to:........................

I will of course pay 20% tax on this.

I have decided to put the20 pence towards another  Hospice lottery ticket.

Just don't pay the fee, simple.

I think they must be getting desperate, just received an email reminder.

"Is your No Licence Needed claim still valid?"

And it then goes on to say,

"Dear Mr XXXXX,

MAKE SURE YOU’RE COVERED WHILE YOU WATCH"

Which is basically saying I am watching TV. They do like using scare tactics don't they even though I don't watch TV.

5 hours ago, apelike said:

I think they must be getting desperate, just received an email reminder.

"Is your No Licence Needed claim still valid?"

And it then goes on to say,

"Dear Mr XXXXX,

MAKE SURE YOU’RE COVERED WHILE YOU WATCH"

Which is basically saying I am watching TV. They do like using scare tactics don't they even though I don't watch TV.

The BBC uses a deception and threat strategy to coerce people into paying for it.

There is to be a mass cancellation of the regressive BBC TV licence fee on August 01 2020, in sympathy with the pensioners who the BBC will start targeting on that date.

Defund the BBC.

Progressives want to defund the BBC.

Regressives want the most disadvantaged and vulnerable people in society to fund the BBC under threat of a criminal record and large fine.