TV licence thread

Long live the BBC

Long live the license fee

Free license for over 75s

I just thought that I would throw in a few slogans of my own.

16 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The BBC TV licence fee is a gravy train, which is why so many powerful vested interests have ensured it's survival for so long.

BBC greed destroys lives. 

Yes I agree .The BBC business model is old fashioned and outdated. See my posts in other topics? I still stand by what I say "They are over paid under worked" The staff really don't live in the real world.How much do they rely on  Thomson Reuters and the metoffice for info? ie they end up just reading to us rather than actually producing and presenting? They are another quango that wastes vast  amounts of our money with no accountability.GET RID !!!

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

In this week's Radio Times, journalist, Mark Lawson has written a story regarding the licence fee. 

Here's an interesting snippet.  According to the BBC's Annual Report & Accounts 2018-19, £103 million from the licence fee income was spent  on "Licence fee collection costs." 

As Lawson points out, shouldn't the Govt be asking questions as to why the BBC is effectively spending £100 million to collect £200 million?

Appears there is vast inefficiency when it comes to the BBC's internal processes. 

Interesting in so far as somebody, somewhere has got the amount collected totally wrong.

Think about it - licence fee is £154.50 - if £200 million collected then Capita are only collecting the licence fee from about 1.3 million people.

In fact income from licence fees in 2019 was almost  £3.7 billion.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8101

There are over 25 million households with a TV licence - so Capita are getting about £4 a head, not half of the fee.

Edited by Longcol

4 hours ago, RJRB said:

Long live the BBC

Long live the license fee

Free license for over 75s

I just thought that I would throw in a few slogans of my own.

Give the People a referendum on the future of the BBC.

The British public should be given control of the fate of the BBC TV licence fee.

Poverty is NOT a crime. End the criminalisation of women in poverty NOW.

"The BBC’s vision of a Britain where middle-class coke-snorters go free while low-income groups are rounded up and given criminal records is not one I find appealing."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/02/why-is-the-bbc-criminalising-low-income-women/

The gender inequality practised by the BBC regarding enforcement of its regressive TV licence fee particularly disadvantages women. 30% of all female prosecutions are for non-payment of the TV licence. The majority of fines issued are for £150 or below, indicating that the people being prosecuted are living on very low incomes (the maximum fine of £1000 is rarely used as the majority of people prosecuted are poor, vulnerable and living in absolute poverty).

End the discrimination - scrap the BBC TV licence fee. 

The BBC has created, perpetuated and benefited from a system of oppression against the poor for decades - especially women in poverty. 

Time to dismantle this BBC system of oppression and end the gender inequality.

30 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Give the People a referendum on the future of the BBC.

The British public should be given control of the fate of the BBC TV licence fee.

Poverty is NOT a crime. End the criminalisation of women in poverty NOW.

I would have thought that £3 a week for 24 hours a day of TV and radio is a difficult act to beat.

This is a Right Wing movement concocted by this government to punish the BBC for it’s perceived left wing bias during the Brexit debate.

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I would have thought that £3 a week for 24 hours a day of TV and radio is a difficult act to beat.

This is a Right Wing movement concocted by this government to punish the BBC for it’s perceived left wing bias during the Brexit debate.

The BBC demands that people prosecuted for not having a valid BBC TV licence pay for their first licence in 26 payments, one each week. So thats a minimum of £6 per week the BBC demands with menaces from the poorest and most vulnerable in society. Even if they never watch, listen to or read any BBC content they must pay or be fined and given a criminal record.

£6 may not be much to you and the BBC, but to a lot of people it's a big chunk of their weekly income. Justice for the poor - scrap the BBC system of oppression. 

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Even if they never watch, listen to or read any BBC content they must pay or be fined and given a criminal record.

That’s not actually correct, is it ?

25 minutes ago, Mossway said:

Apparently you're correct Mossway. 

I always thought that you needed a licence because the BBC changed the rules years ago so that you required a licence because you had a receiver, after a judge found in favour of a bloke who only said he watched recorded tv & no BBC programmes. 

Recent info suggests you don't need a licence if you basically don't tune into any programmes broadcast by the BBC or record 'live' TV as it's being broadcast.  Following dated Feb 2020:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

Edited by Baron99

45 minutes ago, Mossway said:

Actually, it is correct.

A person must pay the BBC TV Licence fee if they watch any live television broadcast. So somebody who never watches BBC television, or listens to a BBC radio station, and never reads any BBC website content but watches a film on E4 or another non-BBC channel will still have to pay the Licence fee.

Want to watch a broadcast of Coronation Street on ITV1? You must pay the BBC for the privilege.

Want to watch Sky News? Pay the BBC.

Edited by Car Boot

Car Boot,

I take your point.

You are correct re the Sky and non-BBC channels etc