TV licence thread

3 hours ago, willman said:

You get to watch BBC for a full month and don't pay for it....

I think it is very clear from that link that you will pay for it as your next payment for the following year will start from 31/Jan and not 28/Feb.

A tv license is valid from the day you tick the box to purchase,not the date of your first payment, just like Netflix.(which has been used as a comparison)

So you tick the box to purchase on 28/Feb and then what? Yes it maybe valid from the date you apply but as the costs are calculated from that day you will basically be losing out on one month... See above. The DD will be set up by TV licencing and they set the date and calculate the amount to be taken and when it expires. Capita are not that daft to allow a free month! If you do cancel before the end of that month then you will still be charged for the whole month. 

Edited by apelike

19 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Dear RJRB

The days when BBC supporters (who selfishly want to retain the licence fee to ensure that everybody else subsidises their BBC viewing habits) could seriously justify the licence fee are long gone. We are in a new age. A multi platform age where the BBC simply can't compete on quality. An age where the BBC is NOT the much loved national treasure it likes to portray itself as - but a badly mismanaged club for an overpaid establishment elite who couldn't survive in the real world, away from the guaranteed income of a totalitarian poll tax.

Luckily the younger generations are well aware of just how inferior the BBC is to other content providers and deeply resent having to pay the licence fee to subsidise your BBC viewing habits when they don't watch any BBC at all. 

You were on the wrong side of history when it came to the EU referendum, another out of touch elite. You will be on the wrong side of history with your support for an out of touch, pampered BBC elite.

For about £12.50 a month I have access to the wide range of programmes screened by the BBC.

News,documentaries,current affairs,films,light entertainment etc.

Add to this all the radio programmes on offer,my preferences being Radios 4,4Extra and 5.

What other platforms  such a service.

No adverts and as unbiased as any source of information that you can name.

Let others binge watch on their phones,lap tops and I pads.

Once again you seem pro the giant corporations offering light entertainment for the binge watchers.

If ,as you believe,the younger generation wish to get their news,comment and entertainment off the internet then I think it reflects badly on society. 

Returning to the thread title,means testing would be acceptable to me provided that it doesn’t cost more to administer than it is worth.

As far as you final paragraph is concerned,I have enjoyed 50 years of European peace so I am happy to have been on the right side of history.

Your brave new world has not even started yet and there will be plenty of opportunities to discuss its progress before it qualifies as history.

PS If I watched in back and white all this could be mine for £4 a month.😁

Edited by RJRB

13 minutes ago, RJRB said:

For about £12.50 a month I have access to the wide range of programmes screened by the BBC

13 minutes ago, RJRB said:

No adverts and as unbiased as any source of information that you can name.

I’m inclined to agree with you......but aren’t you (like me) fed up with the, now, incredible number of ‘trails’ for their own programmes ?

Indeed I am.Both on tv and radio.Unnecessary.

“Many people consider it wrong that you can be imprisoned for not paying for your TV licence and that its enforcement punishes the vulnerable.”     The culture secretary, Nicky Morgan.

Three-quarters of those vulnerable people it punishes are women. The BBC has a long, shameful record of discriminating against women.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Three-quarters of those vulnerable people it punishes are women. The BBC has a long, shameful record of discriminating against women.

No it doesn't.  It just turns out that when the enforcement officers call round, its women who are at home.

It's being discussed that not paying tv licence should be decriminalised.

Personally I think BBC needs to move on with the times. There are not engaging with younger people.

I'm in my 40s and don't watch much of any BBC channels/ offerings.  If they want to justify a licence fee then improve what they currently put on- its rubbish!

On 25/01/2016 at 11:23, hagrid said:

My mum is 99 years old, soon to be 100, she does not pay for her

TV Licence but there again she sleeps most of the day.

This is so funny ! Made me laugh !

It's alright saying "make it subscription like Netflix and amazon" but Amazon primeis a loss leader (and its not like bezos cant afford it) and Netflix is actually in debt to the tune of $12.4 BILLION.

I'd guess Apple TV is losing money hand over fist as well, but like Amazon, they can afford to. And once the BBC etc has been consigned to history we'll all be paying much more than a tenner a month.

I know lets sell it off and privatise it, thats what people want reading some of the comments.

Even from people who want railways,telecoms and buses renationalising  its a strange world we live in.