TV licence thread

Dear Carboot

Suffice it to say that I consider the service offered by the BBC,both radio and TV is far more comprehensive than the offerings of Netflix and Amazon.

This is possible because it is a publicly funded service rather than a capitalistic multinational giant .

If I want to see fair news reporting then I know of no service to rival the BBC.

In no way is the BBC inferior to a Sky,Amazon or Netflix.

If it became a subscriber service I would willingly pay the money,but I do not see this as a step forward or of any advantage to the over 70s who are on the breadline (apart from the possible one months free trial that you seem to think is a game changer)

Edited by RJRB

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I still pay a mortgage, but its cheaper than paying rent. I will be mortgage for before I am 70.

Does that explain it?

No . Owning ones own house and having assets does not in any way give someone the ability to pay anything . Why do you think it would ?

23 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I think that most working class over 75 years old have never owned their home.

Did you ever hear of "right to buy"?

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Did you ever hear of "right to buy"?

What is your point ?

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Dear Carboot

Suffice it to say that I consider the service offered by the BBC,both radio and TV is far more comprehensive than the offerings of Netflix and Amazon.

This is possible because it is a publicly funded service rather than a capitalistic multinational giant .

If I want to see fair news reporting then I know of no service to rival the BBC.

In no way is the BBC inferior to a Sky,Amazon or Netflix.

If it became a subscriber service I would willingly pay the money,but I do not see this as a step forward or of any advantage to the over 70s who are on the breadline (apart from the possible one months free trial that you seem to think is a game changer)

Dear RJRB

The days when BBC supporters (who selfishly want to retain the licence fee to ensure that everybody else subsidises their BBC viewing habits) could seriously justify the licence fee are long gone. We are in a new age. A multi platform age where the BBC simply can't compete on quality. An age where the BBC is NOT the much loved national treasure it likes to portray itself as - but a badly mismanaged club for an overpaid establishment elite who couldn't survive in the real world, away from the guaranteed income of a totalitarian poll tax.

Luckily the younger generations are well aware of just how inferior the BBC is to other content providers and deeply resent having to pay the licence fee to subsidise your BBC viewing habits when they don't watch any BBC at all. 

You were on the wrong side of history when it came to the EU referendum, another out of touch elite. You will be on the wrong side of history with your support for an out of touch, pampered BBC elite.

10 hours ago, Janus said:

It is not a case of people wanting the BBC for free. It is a case of people not wanting the bbc free or otherwise.

Unfortunately it appears that people do want the BBC free for over 75's - or did i respond to an incorrect post claiming to use the £3.6 million profits .

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Netflix and Amazon offer 1 months free viewing to all new customers. Try before you buy. Don't like - pay nothing. No knocks at the door. No threatening letters. No court appearances and fines of £1000, unlike the totalitarian BBC.

Why doesn't the BBC offer 1 months free viewing? 

They already do - buy a tv without a license go home plug it in and watch BBC, then at the end of the month set up a dd for the license fee. No bailiffs,no threatening letters and no court fees.

You may well get a letter inviting you to purchase a license but then again Netflix and Amazon bombard you with reminders throughout the first trial month with themselves,reminding you of your obligation and the fact you have to CANCEL or they'll take your money off you.

Now i wonder how many people have trouble stopping the payment going through and never get their money back.

2 hours ago, willman said:

They already do - buy a tv without a license go home plug it in and watch BBC, then at the end of the month set up a dd for the license fee. No bailiffs,no threatening letters and no court fees.

You may well get a letter inviting you to purchase a license but then again Netflix and Amazon bombard you with reminders throughout the first trial month with themselves,reminding you of your obligation and the fact you have to CANCEL or they'll take your money off you.

Now i wonder how many people have trouble stopping the payment going through and never get their money back.

The BBC certainly DOES NOT offer any free viewing time at all, as this would break the law.

The moment somebody watches a live television broadcast, without the property they are watching it in being correctly licensed, they are breaking the law. The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel. 

It’s a criminal offence to watch live TV or use BBC iPlayer unless you have a valid TV licence. Without one you risk prosecution and can be issued a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs. You are advocating that people break the criminal law.  This is very irresponsible.

Edited by Car Boot

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

The BBC certainly DOES NOT offer any free viewing time at all, as this would break the law.

The moment somebody watches a live television broadcast, without the property they are watching it in being correctly licensed, they are breaking the law. The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel. 

It’s a criminal offence to watch live TV or use BBC iPlayer unless you have a valid TV licence. Without one you risk prosecution and can be issued a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs. You are advocating that people break the criminal law.  This is very irresponsible.

But having a license and paying for it are two different things.

Log on for a TV license and set up a direct debit to start payments on 28/Feb - no harm ,no foul ,no law broken.

One months tv free viewing.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Wrong, they host plenty of stuff on Youtube for free viewing.

4 hours ago, willman said:

But having a license and paying for it are two different things.

Log on for a TV license and set up a direct debit to start payments on 28/Feb - no harm ,no foul ,no law broken.

One months tv free viewing.

Not quite as you still need to be licenced if you watch live TV anytime. Buying a licence on the 28/Feb means it will expire on 31/Jan the following year so you will lose almost a month, not gain it.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ25

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not quite as you still need to be licenced if you watch live TV anytime. Buying a licence on the 28/Feb means it will expire on 31/Jan the following year so you will lose almost a month, not gain it.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ25

You get to watch BBC for a full month and don't pay for it  exactly as you would on Netflix. Cancel before the end of month one and nothing to pay, so free month. 

A tv license is valid from the day you tick the box to purchase,not the date of your first payment, just like Netflix.(which has been used as a comparison)