TV licence thread

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

The government has shifted the cost to the BBC when it should have continued to fund the cost itself.

Why should the BBC use its income to subsidise part of its viewership.

You can argue long and hard about how wisely the BBC spends its’ income,but subsidising part of its audience should not be part of the remit.

Might as well ask BT to give free services to the same group.

BTW those who you refer to in your final paragraph are the very same who you support to deliver a Brexit that will benefit the downtrodden masses.

Tony Hall (Baron Hall of Birkenhead) Director General of the BBC, decided that the BBC should pay for the over 75's free tv licences after negotiating an increase in the BBC TV Licence fee with the then Chancellor George Osbourne. 

It was only later that Lord Hall decided that he would not honour the agreement he had entered into so freely.

I certainly don't trust BBC management to deliver Brexit. I trust BBC management to deliver great pay deals for themselves at the expense of women and the poorest in society.

4 hours ago, willman said:

Why should anyone get BBC for free? If we're being encouraged to use paid streaming services whats the problem paying for BBC.

It is not a case of people wanting the BBC for free. It is a case of people not wanting the bbc free or otherwise.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Forcing a group of elderly and vulnerable people who may, in many cases, be living with a combination of disability, low income and loneliness to navigate an uncaring bureaucracy to pay their TV licence (if they can afford it) is a recipe for cruelty and persecution.

Yes, but many of us over 75’s aren’t vulnerable, disabled, on low income, lonely etc

But, a Labour Chancellor thought it was a good idea, presumably to buy votes, to give  us a free TV licence.

Means test it by all means, or let us buy it  on a similar system to some of the streaming services.

If Netflix and Amazon Prime can thrive with a voluntary monthly subscription model, what makes the BBC so inferior that it can't?

3 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

If Netflix and Amazon Prime can thrive with a voluntary monthly subscription model, what makes the BBC so inferior that it can't?

Do Netflix and Amazon offer free viewing to the poverty stricken elderly?

Of course not.

5 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Do Netflix and Amazon offer free viewing to the poverty stricken elderly?

Of course not.

Netflix and Amazon offer 1 months free viewing to all new customers. Try before you buy. Don't like - pay nothing. No knocks at the door. No threatening letters. No court appearances and fines of £1000, unlike the totalitarian BBC.

Why doesn't the BBC offer 1 months free viewing? 

26 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Netflix and Amazon offer 1 months free viewing to all new customers. Try before you buy. Don't like - pay nothing. No knocks at the door. No threatening letters. No court appearances and fines of £1000, unlike the totalitarian BBC.

Why doesn't the BBC offer 1 months free viewing? 

You make little sense.

One month free and then your elderly ,lonely poverty stricken pensioner has to pay for a very limited type of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

I certainly don't trust BBC management to deliver Brexit. I trust BBC management to deliver great pay deals for themselves at the expense of women and the poorest in society.

As you are well aware no one expects the BBC management to deliver Brexit.

However you have entrusted this task to a group of wealthy upper class,public school educated politicians,and you seem to believe that this will improve the lot of the majority who do not belong to this elite.

Dream on.

Edited by RJRB

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Most working class over 75's haven't bought their own homes. Most middle class over 75's who were in non manual jobs have bought their homes.

You chose not to answer my question, thats fine.

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You make little sense.

One month free and then your elderly ,lonely poverty stricken pensioner has to pay for a very limited type of entertainment.

As you are well aware no one expects the BBC management to deliver Brexit.

However you have entrusted this task to a group of wealthy upper class,public school educated politicians,and you seem to believe that this will improve the lot of the majority who do not belong to this elite.

Dream on.

You made no attempt to answer my question about what makes the BBC inferior to Netflix and Amazon when they can thrive on the voluntary subscription model of funding, while the BBC can only survive by frightening people into paying for its content under threat of a criminal record and a large fine?

The BBC is run by a non-diverse group of wealthy upper middle class, public school educated largely males who belong to the elite and are completely out of touch with the majority of people. No Director General has ever been female, or from an ethnic minority. Or lived in a council property. Or been educated at a state school. The BBC is the rich establishment, for the rich establishment, by the rich establishment.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You chose not to answer my question, thats fine.

I think that most working class over 75 years old have never owned their home.

1 hour ago, Mossway said:

But, a Labour Chancellor thought it was a good idea, presumably to buy votes, to give  us a free TV licence.

Labour wanted to give us free broadband too. I can understand that once we all get the basics free, health, teeeth, eyes, clothing and water.

Surely entertainment(TV license) would be the last one on the list? Isnt that why Labour lost some votes, their message was too complicated.

They should just campaign for free prescriptions, eye tests, glasses and dentistry. Leave entertainment as optional.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

But generally speaking, the older generation are more likely to be home owners and have more assets than 20/30 year olds. Agree?

And how does this make them able to afford a TV licence ?

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I think that most working class over 75 years old have never owned their home.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/321065/uk-england-home-owners-age-groups/

Do you have more detailed information?

A share of 0.7 percent of owner occupiers were between the ages of 16 and 24, whereas a share of 36 percent of owner occupiers were aged 65 and over, a difference of 35.3 percent.

8 hours ago, jonnyhonda said:

And how does this make them able to afford a TV licence ?

I still pay a mortgage, but its cheaper than paying rent. I will be mortgage free  before I am 70.

Does that explain it?

Edited by El Cid