TV licence thread

On 19/12/2019 at 11:40, alchresearch said:

From Capita:

Your hatred of the TV licence and all to do with it is bordering on the hysterical.

No, on second thought you've crossed the border and are at least a hundred miles into Fantasy Land.

Not really alch , the bbc is just another tax ,carboot has a valid point.It's not fair that you have to pay for something you wouldn't miss. It's time for the bbc to be self supporting either by ads or pay to view. It peeves me to pay towards bowls ,snooker,golf, cricket, and the likes of ballroom dancing , finish the licence now.

The average age of a BBC television viewer is now over 60.

Those under 60 are turning more and more to streaming subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon. The BBC TV Licence fee is currently £12.87 per month ( although the first TV licence has to be paid in six months at £25.75 per month). Streaming TV platforms are around £5.99 - £7.99 per month.

The BBC desperately wants to keep prosecuting the poor for not being able to afford it's expensive TV licence fee. Even Gary Lineker, a highly paid BBC employee, believes that criminalising the poor (mainly very low income women) is morally wrong.

Edited by Car Boot

The BBC is one of the few organisations that has not moved with the times, yet they affect a lot of the UK population. Who needs them? I would be happy for all their broadcasts to cease transmitting to my  tv.

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The average age of a BBC television viewer is now over 60.

Those under 60 are turning more and more to streaming subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon. The BBC TV Licence fee is currently £12.87 per month ( although the first TV licence has to be paid in six months at £25.75 per month). Streaming TV platforms are around £5.99 - £7.99 per month.

The BBC desperately wants to keep prosecuting the poor for not being able to afford it's expensive TV licence fee. Even Gary Lineker, a highly paid BBC employee, believes that criminalising the poor (mainly very low income women) is morally wrong.

A bit unfair to compare BBC with Netflix and amazon. Now if you want to bin all the transmitters and make BBC streaming only, you’ll not find many people under 40 who will mind at all - it will be much cheaper to do. However the little old ladies you’re concerned about will find themselves looking at blank screen.

The BBC licence fee should become a voluntary charge, the Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker says, in comments that are likely to cause dismay at the national broadcaster as it faces a battle with the government over its future.

Not paid mine yet. How long before I get a knock on the door?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

A bit unfair to compare BBC with Netflix and amazon. Now if you want to bin all the transmitters and make BBC streaming only, you’ll not find many people under 40 who will mind at all - it will be much cheaper to do. However the little old ladies you’re concerned about will find themselves looking at blank screen.

We are no longer living in the 1950s - there are a multitude of outlets supplying entertainment, sport and news. We don't require a corporate superior upper middle class, public school educated, establishment mouthpiece that exists to protect the government of the day. Especially one such as the BBC that is funded by a totalitarian protection racket.

The BBC doesn't care about the little old ladies. It only cares that the little old ladies give the BBC their money.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

you’ll not find many people under 40 who will mind at all - it will be much cheaper to do. However the little old ladies you’re concerned about will find themselves looking at blank screen.

That is actually quite true for some of them.

They are the group of people I really feel sorry for. It is bad enough living alone, but being elderly  and alone without even a  TV or   radio is upsetting to contemplate.

Where is the compassion of the BBC. At least be kind to the lonely eldery people, if not to the rest of us.

20 minutes ago, Janus said:

That is actually quite true for some of them.

They are the group of people I really feel sorry for. It is bad enough living alone, but being elderly  and alone without even a  TV or   radio is upsetting to contemplate.

Where is the compassion of the BBC. At least be kind to the lonely eldery people, if not to the rest of us.

But if the bbc goes streaming or voluntary subscription only, terrestrial TV is dead and buried. ITV and channel 4 and 5 won’t keep that infrastructure going with adverts. I could go streaming-only tomorrow, very easily. A lot of people can, but not everyone.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

We are no longer living in the 1950s - there are a multitude of outlets supplying entertainment, sport and news. We don't require a corporate superior upper middle class, public school educated, establishment mouthpiece that exists to protect the government of the day. Especially one such as the BBC that is funded by a totalitarian protection racket.

The BBC doesn't care about the little old ladies. It only cares that the little old ladies give the BBC their money.

Why should anyone get BBC for free? If we're being encouraged to use paid streaming services whats the problem paying for BBC.

At least BBC programmes are not interrupted by annoying adverts. I pay for Netflix to prevent this and have no probs paying the BBC.  :roll:

BBC programmes may not be interrupted by adverts but there’s an interminable number of so called ‘trails’ between programmes, every couple of minutes before the hour and often on the half hour.

I can’t see why they can’t flog those minutes for adverts.