TV licence thread

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Forr an organisation moaning about being cash strapped, anyone watching the BBC's endless credits roll by for about 5 mins at the end of Wimbledon on Sunday night would be thinking their rolling in money. 

Why did the men's final require 3 commentators & then Sue Barker at the end just interviewing them.  All in all there must have been well over 50 commentators involved for the tv production.  Then came the separate commentators for BBC 5 live?  Why can't the TV commentary be shared with the radio?

The number of producers, directors, executive producers & executive directors ran into hundreds. 

Last figures I can find is from 2017 which state the BBC spent £60 million covering Wimbledon fortnight. 

you may not notice but in this day and age we tend to demand the biggest, the best, the most exciting...that includes coverage, if you scrimp people notice and prolly wont watch

Good to see the BBC looking after their staff after they moaned about the cost of free TV licences for OAP's.  Salary increases of between 10% and 20% were handed to 889 staff – and 256 were given more than 20%.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bbc-dishes-out-over-1000-18929139

Boris Johnson has stated that he will look at decriminalising non-payment of the BBC TV Licence fee, which disproportionately impacts low income women. As this is now a feminist issue it's time to fight the out of touch BBC patriarchy as it still firmly believes that debt and poverty should be punished by fines and imprisonment. 

Is scrapping the TV licence a feminist issue? Campaigners say so

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women/tv-license-scrap-decriminalise-bbc-women-feminist-a9250041.html

If criminalising the poor and criminalising women for non-payment of the BBC TV licence fee is such an integral part of the funding model for the BBC, as BBC bosses claim, then surely the BBC itself is broken and no longer fit for purpose?

Edited by Car Boot

Taking a wider view, women can afford to buy their wide screen tvs, tablets, laptops & mobiles to watch programmes on. 

Add to this women will be subscribing to Sky, Netflix, etc, on  a monthly basis, yet they appear not to be able to afford £154 per annum?

Edited by Baron99

They should halve the ridiculous wages they pay to their favourite luvvies.  If the 'celebs' don't like it, good, let them walk and give some new faces a chance.  Then they should reduce the TV licence accordingly.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Taking a wider view, women can afford to buy their , laptops & mobiles to watch programmes on. 

Add to this women will be subscribing to Sky, Netflix, etc, on  a monthly basis, yet they appear not to be able to afford £154 per annum?

Perhaps in the real world people purchase their tvs, laptops and mobiles when they are in better times, such as paid employment?

Subscribing to Netflix on a monthly basis is much, much cheaper than paying for a BBC TV licence fee. Netflix can be cancelled at any time with no repercussions. Cancel a BBC TV licence fee and Capita is alerted to a potential licence fee evader criminal and begins it's campaign of harassment and intimidation to force payment.

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Perhaps in the real world people purchase their tvs, laptops and mobiles when they are in better times, such as paid employment?

I think a lot of these will be funded by dreaded thieves, dressed up as companies providing 'affordable' payment options.

The BBC is desperate to retain its current funding model in which the poorest and most vulnerable in society are criminalised for not being able to afford the expensive BBC TV licence fee. The BBC wants these people to be given a criminal record and fine because of their poverty, then jailed once they cannot afford to pay the fine. To send out a message to others.

If I stop paying for Netflix I am not threatened with a criminal record, home visit and large fine. In this day and age any broadcaster that uses the criminalisation of its customers as an important part of its funding model simply does not deserve to survive.

Edited by Car Boot

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Cancel a BBC TV licence fee and Capita is alerted to a potential licence fee evader criminal and begins it's campaign of harassment and intimidation to force payment.

Is it?  When I cancelled I got a notification then a message saying an officer may pop round to confirm. In once instance they did and saw no aerial plugged into my telly and went away to never bother me again. In another they didn't bother coming at all.

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Is it?  When I cancelled I got a notification then a message saying an officer may pop round to confirm. In once instance they did and saw no aerial plugged into my telly and went away to never bother me again. In another they didn't bother coming at all.

An officer?

You mean a Capita employee with no legal powers who was seeking to gather evidence in preparation for a prosecution and a fine  of up to £1,000.

That you invited such a stranger into your home, a stranger who has had NO criminal checks carried out on them at all, is very disturbing. Do you think that young single women, the vulnerable and the elderly should behave as irresponsibly as you did?

Dragging hundreds of thousands of the poorest people in society to court every single year.

Fining them.

Giving them a criminal conviction.

Sometimes jailing them.

All for the non payment of a BBC TV licence fee to watch tv. This funding model is outdated, cruel and morally wrong. The only people who defend it are those who tend to be very wealthy and very, very out of touch.

21 hours ago, Car Boot said:

An officer?

You mean a Capita employee with no legal powers who was seeking to gather evidence in preparation for a prosecution and a fine  of up to £1,000.

That you invited such a stranger into your home, a stranger who has had NO criminal checks carried out on them at all, is very disturbing. Do you think that young single women, the vulnerable and the elderly should behave as irresponsibly as you did?

From Capita:

All applicants will have to have a DBS check.

Your hatred of the TV licence and all to do with it is bordering on the hysterical.

No, on second thought you've crossed the border and are at least a hundred miles into Fantasy Land.