TV licence thread

Piers Morgan feels it's  the beginning of the end now for the bbc

"If they double down of this TV licence thing, if they tell 3.5 million pensioners we’re effectively going to risk imprisoning you if you don’t pay your licence whilst dishing out millions to their celebrity talent roster and their own executives.

You watch what happens I’m telling you, it’s the beginning of the end for the BBC because once you lose public trust, then the public desire to help you by giving you money for what you do disappears"

Quoted from Express. 

Edited by Janus

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Piers Morgan feels it's  the beginning of the end now for the bbc

"If they double down of this TV licence thing, if they tell 3.5 million pensioners we’re effectively going to risk imprisoning you if you don’t pay your licence whilst dishing out millions to their celebrity talent roster and their own executives.

You watch what happens I’m telling you, it’s the beginning of the end for the BBC because once you lose public trust, then the public desire to help you by giving you money for what you do disappears"

Quoted from Express. 

Those five highlighted words say all I need to hear.   I don't think I'll be giving that statement much weight.   

Just another talking head jumping on the bandwagon and portraying all our dear old pensioners as these alleged destitute people who deserve every penny they get in handouts.  They don't. 

Some may well be entitled to a free license.   But the majority are not.   We all pay our way in this world even when you get old.

As for BBC salary hysteria - that's an annual faux "outrage" thing isn't it.  Do these people think that's ITV and Netflix stars get paid in brush washers?  Do they think that Freeview and all these special access services that the licence fee supports and the commercial broadcasters wouldn't touch with a barge pole is paid for by fairy farts and pixie dust?    

All too easy to moan and groan until the day comes when it's not there and you really realise what you're missing.

Round and round it goes.  

26 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Those five highlighted words say all I need to hear.   I don't think I'll be giving that statement much weight.   

Just another talking head jumping on the bandwagon and portraying all our dear old pensioners as these alleged destitute people who deserve every penny they get in handouts.  They don't. 

Some may well be entitled to a free license.   But the majority are not.   We all pay our way in this world even when you get old.

As for BBC salary hysteria - that's an annual faux "outrage" thing isn't it.  Do these people think that's ITV and Netflix stars get paid in brush washers?  Do they think that Freeview and all these special access services that the licence fee supports and the commercial broadcasters wouldn't touch with a barge pole is paid for by fairy farts and pixie dust?    

All too easy to moan and groan until the day comes when it's not there and you really realise what you're missing.

Round and round it goes.  

And when people complain about the BBC stealing our hard earned readies don't they understand where ad revenue comes from from the other TV stations? It doesn't come free, expensive ads need budgeting for, and higher prices for the goods

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

And when people complain about the BBC stealing our hard earned readies don't they understand where ad revenue comes from from the other TV stations? It doesn't come free, expensive ads need budgeting for, and higher prices for the goods

The money companies pay to advertise on tv more than pays for itself or they wouldn't do it, so you can throw that red herring back into the sea.

Edited by Nightbird

8 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

The money companies pay to advertise on tv more than pays for itself or they wouldn't do it, so you can throw that red herring back into the sea.

How is it a red herring? The money has to come from somewhere and for companies that's their customers.

1 minute ago, altus said:

How is it a red herring? The money has to come from somewhere and for companies that's their customers.

Are you saying the existence of the BBC is keeping the price of goods down?

On 30/06/2019 at 09:15, Cyclone said:

And you advertise that you're a criminal on a public forum...  Does it make you proud?

I'm curious as to how you can label a forum contributor a 'criminal' without a shred of evidence.

Or do you simply assume, as the BBC does, that everyone who doesn't have a BBC TV Licence is breaking the law?

You're curious as how I can label someone that openly admits to committing a crime a criminal???

On 28/06/2019 at 23:57, crookesjoe said:

I've not paid my TV licence for 15 years

Perhaps you misread it though as "I've not needed"...  He quite clearly says he's not paid, meaning that he needs it and hasn't paid.

43 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

Are you saying the existence of the BBC is keeping the price of goods down?

Mel posted about the source of funding for adverts on non BBC channels , your reply referred to the funding of those adverts and my reply to you did also. Your post I've just quoted is you trying to divert away from where the money comes from to pay for adverts on TV. My question still stands, how is it a red herring?

7 minutes ago, altus said:

Mel posted about the source of funding for adverts on non BBC channels , your reply referred to the funding of those adverts and my reply to you did also. Your post I've just quoted is you trying to divert away from where the money comes from to pay for adverts on TV. My question still stands, how is it a red herring?

In a capitalist market place, companies pay a lot to advertise; mel implied that paying to advertise on tv has an adverse effect on consumers by leading to higher prices to cover the cost of the advertising. I am saying that the returns these companies get more than cover the costs of the advertising so no cost is "passed on" to the consumer. What makes it a red herring is the fact that this is the case already despite the BBC's current existence.

Edited by Nightbird

On 28/06/2019 at 23:57, crookesjoe said:

I'm 36 and I've not paid my TV licence for 15 years.

It's completely unenforceable provided you just don't answer the door, and even if you do, just refuse to talk to them, close the door and they can't do a thing about it.

A good reason for the BBC to supply everyone with a TV box and then do what Sky do if you don't pay your subscription.  Turn it off!!

20 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You're curious as how I can label someone that openly admits to committing a crime a criminal???

Perhaps you misread it though as "I've not needed"...  He quite clearly says he's not paid, meaning that he needs it and hasn't paid.

I haven't paid my BBC TV licence for some years, despite the BBC constantly sending me letters threatening me with menaces if I don't pay.

I am not a criminal. I don't watch live television broadcasts. You should have been in the SS with your investigatory skills criminalising those you disagree with.