TV licence thread

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

so give people who dont need it free money as its easier?

Pensioners over 75 who receive a free TV licence aren't being given free money.  It makes more sense to keep things as they are now rather than introduce means testing which is more likely to result in pensioners claiming for others things as well as a free TV licence when they become more aware what they are entitled to resulting in the taxpayer ending worse off.

39 minutes ago, max said:

I should imagine that a system to means test people would be far more complicated than it sounds. It should be a simple matter for whichever department holds details of people's entitlement to Pensions Credits, name, address and age to produce a file for the BBC system to read showing who is and who isn't on Pension Credit and over 75. However, once you start looking to include information about income levels and how much their houses are worth it becomes a much more complicated IT endeavour.

It wouldn't be limited to government departments either, you'd need to garner information from private pension schemes, investment brokers, land registry for valuations, whether or not they have more than one house or lodgers, etc., etc. The list is endless.

OOOH

Don't forget the data protection act

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Pensioners over 75 who receive a free TV licence aren't being given free money.  It makes more sense to keep things as they are now rather than introduce means testing which is more likely to result in pensioners claiming for others things as well as a free TV licence when they become more aware what they are entitled to resulting in the taxpayer ending worse off.

youre talking complete bullcrap (no surprises there)

1: So carry on throwing money towards those that dont need it (do you really think the government dont give the BBC money for this?)

2: Your just guessing with the benefits theyre entitled to being more

3: If they are so poor that they cant afford to pay for the tv license then maybe the right thing to do is to give them EVERYTHING they are entitled to (not do what happens now and hide these things and dont tell folks)

its about doing the RIGHT way not the cheapest way, pay for those that need the help NOT those that dont need the help

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That is and always has been the situation.

Resentment of the opportunities and preferences given to certain groups and sections of society after both wars bred the 60s revolution which led to a confrontation between old and young on a far bigger scale.

There are dozens of variations on the differences between young and old revolving around idealism, possesions, fairness, conservative attitude, fear of change etc.

There is a deep sympathy with the under 30s amongst the baby boomers.  They see the job insecurity,  career opportunities, pension provision, student debt etc. 

The current generation of  young will get huge support from the babyboomers if they use their enthusiasm to create a "better world". They would be applauded for picking up the baton- again.

You are misreading what I’m saying.  This is a unique situation. Never before have so many people who have disproportionally accumulated so much wealth have decided to visit upon the rest of the population the biggest avoidable economic catastrophe in modern western history.

Losing a free TV licence is the least of your worries. Your basic static pension and free at the point of use healthcare amongst many other things are at risk as well.

You can’t just brush this away. You’re going to have to wake up.

11 hours ago, max said:

I should imagine that a system to means test people would be far more complicated than it sounds. It should be a simple matter for whichever department holds details of people's entitlement to Pensions Credits, name, address and age to produce a file for the BBC system to read showing who is and who isn't on Pension Credit and over 75. However, once you start looking to include information about income levels and how much their houses are worth it becomes a much more complicated IT endeavour.

It wouldn't be limited to government departments either, you'd need to garner information from private pension schemes, investment brokers, land registry for valuations, whether or not they have more than one house or lodgers, etc., etc. The list is endless.

The means testing is simply "do they get pension credits or not".  Job done.

9 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

You are misreading what I’m saying.  This is a unique situation. Never before have so many people who have disproportionally accumulated so much wealth have decided to visit upon the rest of the population the biggest avoidable economic catastrophe in modern western history.

Losing a free TV licence is the least of your worries. Your basic static pension and free at the point of use healthcare amongst many other things are at risk as well.

You can’t just brush this away. You’re going to have to wake up.

I do not get a free TV licence, state pension or bus pass and I totally agree with the point that you make about that much more important things are at risk.

However I am not having you or anybody else telling me that the "baby boomers"  "... have decided to visit upon the rest of the population the biggest avoidable economic catastrophe in modern western history."

The majority of "baby boomers" have not reached pensionable age.

The majority of women in the group will receive less state pension than generations before or after.

The will have paid far more interest on their mortgages than generations before or after.

The have "suffered" the most difficult economic times with the highest unemployment and  inflation levels.

I also do not understand why you are doing the Tory backers job for them in dividing the population.

38 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I do not get a free TV licence, state pension or bus pass and I totally agree with the point that you make about that much more important things are at risk.

However I am not having you or anybody else telling me that the "baby boomers"  "... have decided to visit upon the rest of the population the biggest avoidable economic catastrophe in modern western history."

The majority of women in the group will receive less state pension than generations before or after.

The will have paid far more interest on their mortgages than generations before or after.

The have "suffered" the most difficult economic times with the highest unemployment and  inflation levels.

I also do not understand why you are doing the Tory backers job for them in dividing the population.

It doesn’t matter what you say. The leave vote was 60% in 50-64 age group and 64% in over 65 age group.

Baby boomers and the preceding generation ARE voting in overwhelming numbers for policies that make life poorer for younger generations.

Nice touch there saying that you paid more interest in your mortgage when people in their early 40s often haven’t even got a mortgage these days.

I suggest yourself and your cohort get up to speed with the real world, and very quickly, or else you will reap a very uncomfortable whirlwind of change where pensioner benefits and care become less guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There's plenty of argument that as a generation (not individuals) they have;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/will-the-baby-boomers-bankrupt-britain-1936027.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/29/millennials-struggling-is-it-fault-of-baby-boomers-intergenerational-fairness

Also

1946 and 1964

So that's a minimum age now of 55, eligible for early retirement at least, up to 73, past the old state retirement age, and no doubt retired on a final salary pension scheme (as are both my parents).

Don't get me wrong, I know that they went through the period when interest rates went up as high as 19%, but on the other hand they'd bought a 2 bedroom bungalow by the age of 22, and then moved to a 3 bed house by 24.  And that's as a bus mechanic and a just qualified nurse.

Today, a 22 year old buying a house, only in their dreams.  I know people in there mid 30's who can't afford a house yet!

Of course my parents weren't responsible for the housing price boom that has made home ownership a distant dream for the majority of 20 somethings today, neither were you I expect.  But as a generation they benefited from it.

Actually so did I.  I just scraped in, my girlfriend and for quite some time now wife decided to buy in 2001, we bought our first home just before prices went mental, 6 years later the value of that house was 2.5 times as much.

Edited by Cyclone

3 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

It doesn’t matter what you say. The leave vote was 60% in 50-64 age group and 64% in over 65 age group.

Baby boomers and the preceding generation ARE voting in overwhelming numbers for policies that make life poorer for younger generations.

Nice touch there saying that you paid more interest in your mortgage when people in their early 40s often haven’t even got a mortgage these days.

I suggest yourself and your cohort get up to speed with the real world, and very quickly, or else you will reap a very uncomfortable whirlwind of change where pensioner benefits and care become less guaranteed.

Trying to create blame when there is none is not going to work.

The voting system means that every 18+ individual can vote. That some age groups are more likely to vote than others is certainly no fault of the "baby boomers". 

I would very much support a compulsory vote for all over 16, as we have a ridiculous situation where 21 year olds do not have a say in leaving  the EU, wheras dead people do.

The stupidity of statistics means that there were more remain votes in total in my age group than the next youngest, because more voted. If each generation had voted in the same numbers, the outcome would have been reversed.

Regarding mortgages, the availability of a mortgage was dependent (and regulated) more on income than on deposit.  The range and availibility of mortgage products today is far greater than ever. As a percentage of income after tax  there is very little difference in cost.  You were far more likely to be refused until either your joint income or deposit increased.  Many other economic factors and Government policies have affected the housing market. 

You might have forgotten, but pension benefits have already been withdawn from a substantial number of " baby boomers " and that the idea of (old age?)"care" has and is changing for everybody.

Stop blaming people when it is clearly Government policy and global economy which is  having  the greatest influence.

25 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The voting system means that every 18+ individual can vote. That some age groups are more likely to vote than others is certainly no fault of the "baby boomers". 

I would very much support a compulsory vote for all over 16, as we have a ridiculous situation where 21 year olds do not have a say in leaving  the EU, wheras dead people do.

The stupidity of statistics means that there were more remain votes in total in my age group than the next youngest, because more voted. If each generation had voted in the same numbers, the outcome would have been reversed.

Regarding mortgages, the availability of a mortgage was dependent (and regulated) more on income than on deposit.  The range and availibility of mortgage products today is far greater than ever. As a percentage of income after tax  there is very little difference in cost.  You were far more likely to be refused until either your joint income or deposit increased.  Many other economic factors and Government policies have affected the housing market. 

You might have forgotten, but pension benefits have already been withdawn from a substantial number of " baby boomers " and that the idea of (old age?)"care" has and is changing for everybody.

Stop blaming people when it is clearly Government policy and global economy which is  having  the greatest influence.

You are still ignoring the very clear fact that huge numbers of boomers and the over 65s are voting for policy that damages younger generations.

Its not a personal dig at you. You don’t have to defend yourself or your cohort. It is just plain basic fact that the policy impoverishes  the younger generations who are expected to fund older generations, so that creates potential funding gaps for all kinds of benefits and services.

Things can change, or the TV licence is just the start. 

17 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The government has been mostly comprised of baby boomers for the past twenty years.  The global economy has been influenced significantly by the behaviour of baby boomers.

45 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

The government has been mostly comprised of baby boomers for the past twenty years.  The global economy has been influenced significantly by the behaviour of baby boomers.

It’s dystopian. No other way to describe it.