TV licence thread

The bbc are talking of stopping the free license for the over 75s while paying some of their staff millions to sit on a sofa or playing daft music, talking a load of rubbish or flying all over the world to report on tales that are not relevant to us.

While the rest of the public sector has endured big cuts in funding since 2010, the BBC has received more money almost every year:

BBC Licence Fee Income 2010-2017

2011 £3.45bn

2012 £3.51bn

2013 £3.61bn

2014 £3.66bn

2015 £3.73bn

2016 £3.74bn

2017 £3.74bn

Despite this year on year growth in BBC tv Licence fee revenue, the BBC fat cats are still pleading poverty.

It's frightening the number of people who have been deceived into believing that the over 75's free license fee is unaffordable.

If a person watches live TV, but never any BBC channels (never uses any BBC services); how do you justify them paying the BBC for the privilege of watching non-BBC live TV?

To me, it seems completely unethical and tantamount to state-sanctioned daylight robbery.

If a person doesn't use the library and has no children should they receive a reduction in taxes?

My opinion is that we live in society and should contribute to help all citizens.

By electing politicians with similar views to my own I hope that they make rules to benefit society as a whole not just lobbyist with vested interests.

If a person watches live TV, but never any BBC channels (never uses any BBC services); how do you justify them paying the BBC for the privilege of watching non-BBC live TV?

If a person has private health insurance, & never uses NHS services; how do you justify them paying taxes that go to the NHS? :rolleyes:

You could say the same for any number of things you're forced to pay for.

To me, it seems completely unethical and tantamount to state-sanctioned daylight robbery.

Civic responsibility, part and parcel of living in a civilised society.

If a person has private health insurance, & never uses NHS services; how do you justify them paying taxes that go to the NHS?

That's a misleading comparison. For insurance type services, you pay a small amount to recieve cover, in case you need service. So you are purchasing cover.

A more accurate comparison, would be...

I sell video games, I monetise my business by charging a fixed yearly fee to everyone who plays ANY video game (even ones not owned by my business).

---------- Post added 04-11-2018 at 11:10 ----------

Civic responsibility, part and parcel of living in a civilised society.

I agree, though I fail to see what's so civilised about daylight robbery...

That's a misleading comparison. For insurance type services, you pay a small amount to recieve cover, in case you need service. So you are purchasing cover.

Not really, because for any TV service you are paying to recieve it, whether that be in prices of goods to cover the advertising revenue, or directly via a pay per view service. The license fee also covers the cost of transmission.

A more accurate comparison, would be...

I sell video games, I monetise my business by charging a fixed yearly fee to everyone who plays ANY video game (even ones not owned by my business).

Your analogy is closer to NHS funding than the license fee, you can avoid paying the license fee fairly easily :rolleyes:

So, should those who can afford their own cover (for whatever public service) be allowed to avoid the taxes that pay for that service for everyone else?

I agree, though I fail to see what's so civilised about daylight robbery...

... fail to see.... is the key point here.

Edited by Magilla

While the rest of the public sector has endured big cuts in funding since 2010, the BBC has received more money almost every year:

BBC Licence Fee Income 2010-2017

2011 £3.45bn

2012 £3.51bn

2013 £3.61bn

2014 £3.66bn

2015 £3.73bn

2016 £3.74bn

2017 £3.74bn

Despite this year on year growth in BBC tv Licence fee revenue, the BBC fat cats are still pleading poverty.

It's frightening the number of people who have been deceived into believing that the over 75's free license fee is unaffordable.

The TV licence fee will increase to £150.50 from £147 from 1 April 2018, the government has announced.

The annual fee for BBC programming increased last year for the first time since 2010 after the government said it would rise in line with inflation for five years.

We used to get just BBC1 and BBC2, now we get other stations and online news too; and really good radio.

I don't see why anyone should get news and entertainment for free though, no matter how old they are. It is not an essential service, like the NHS etc.

@Magilla...

re: Cost of transmission (or other costs relating to infrastructure etc); a fairer system would be to have a separate business entity (probably state owned) manage this, and individual broadcasting companies pay that entity a license fee in order to use said infrastructure. These broadcasting companies would then make up the cost through whichever business / pricing model they choose (e.g. advertising revenue, or, premium subscription service).

Also, as others have noted, comparisons to the NHS are not entirely fair. The NHS provide a necessary service, that we pretty much all benefit from; and the NHS is pretty much a universally cherished institution (not so much the BBC, though it does have its good points). The BBC on the other hand, does not provide a necessary service; and has many competitors who do pretty much the same thing.

The TV licence fee will increase to £150.50 from £147 from 1 April 2018, the government has announced.

The annual fee for BBC programming increased last year for the first time since 2010 after the government said it would rise in line with inflation for five years.

We used to get just BBC1 and BBC2, now we get other stations and online news too; and really good radio.

I don't see why anyone should get news and entertainment for free though, no matter how old they are. It is not an essential service, like the NHS etc.

The BBC agreed to the licence fee being used as part of the benefit system - that's what happens when people high up in the Beeb get too close to politicians. On this occasion it has blown up in their face and the public should have absolutely no sympathy with them.

On Cable (VirginMedia) BBC broadcasts are delayed (compared to freeview) by about 15 seconds, and in HD by minutes, therefore not "LIVE"

So who defines "live"?

---------- Post added 04-11-2018 at 22:48 ----------

So, you'll still pay for your (insert political party overlord of the day sycophantic pay grabbers) rather than the BBC being manipulated by business?

OH! Hang on Don't the BBC sell their dross to the likes of Dave & Yesterday (to name but two)

I'm on my way to the pension, and have paid to watch this CRAP for years, I'll live on as long as I can so they don't make any more from me!!!!

Lol that argument goes back to when ITV first came on the scene in the 50s and gave us two channels. Some people said, quite loudly, that if they only watched ITV they shouldn't have to buy the license, Fell on deaf ears, of course.:D

OH! Hang on Don't the BBC sell their dross to the likes of Dave & Yesterday (to name but two)

I'm on my way to the pension and have paid to watch this CRAP for years, I'll live on as long as I can so they don't make any more from me!!!!

Are you the sort of person that complains when other people get things for free, but you want a piece of it?

I don't see why anyone should be given free entertainment at the taxpayers expense.