TV licence thread

I think it changed with the 2003 Communication Act. These days th thing that triggers liability is if you watch or record a live broadcast. Having a TV that's capable of receiving one is not enough, although in evidence terms you are going to face a challenge to show that you never used it.

Nothing wrong with not having a licence if you dont watch live TV, but it seems a bit rich to on the one hand complain about the BBC at how rubbish it is and on the other watch it without a licence because you think the law doesnt apply to you as a licence dodger.

Thank's for the information on that 999, and agree with the last bit.

It *is* only rhetoric though, there's very little or no substance to the vast majority of it.

Less and less people trust the BBC. Some for no reason and some for good reason. The fact remains the BBC is losing public trust faster than it is losing license fee payers.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 17:13 ----------

This is an interesting video about the BBC.

Ive just re watched that video and at 4.27 there is an expletive so if someone has to remove it then fair enough but i didn't want anyone to watch it and be shocked or something.

Edited by Stoned

Didn't answer the question though did it.. do you pay for Sky?

ill answer for myself here no don't pay for sky//licence and watch live tv all the time . :hihi::hihi::hihi:

ill answer for myself here no don't pay for sky//licence and watch live tv all the time . :hihi::hihi::hihi:

So what was your point at #145 that i was menat to think about. you still havent answered.

So what was your point at #145 that i was menat to think about. you still havent answered.

you answered it in post 150 now move along :hihi:

You aren't standing up for your rights at all. You are using a service other people pay for free. Find another word for it than theft but it's unlawful. And a bit sad you think it's something to be proud of.

It is unlawful...agree on that

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 00:06 ----------

That old Chestnut eh?

NEWSFLASH!! Jonathan Ross has not been any major presence on the BBC for 7 years now.

As for Graham Norton his show is still pulling in an average of 4-5 million viewers each episode and its distributed to 15 countries around the world.

Big talent earns big money. Hardly rocket science.

That just goes to show how often I watch the bbc

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 00:07 ----------

Didn't answer the question though did it.. do you pay for Sky?

Naaaaah, do you ?

I'm no sure they do anymore, but the reason was becayse they were required to by law.

You dont have to pay the licence if you dont watch live TV.

Do you watch live TV at any time during the year?

maybe be coming to an end now this loophole

The licence fee will rise in line with inflation from next year, and will now also have to be paid by people who only consume BBC content online.

Previously, there was a loophole that allowed viewers to watch BBC content via the iPlayer without paying the licence fee.

That is because the fee only had to be paid by people who were viewing television live as it was being broadcast.

The changes will not affect people who currently pay the licence fee - they will continue to be able to access the iPlayer without any extra charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36259237

maybe be coming to an end now this loophole

Long overdue.

To update this thread: I now have some official guidance obtained from the TV Licensing Centre.

I asked:

I have no TV. I never use I-Player to watch TV programmes either live or otherwise. I listen to radio both live and (via I-Player) otherwise. Must I buy a TV licence for my non-existent TV if I want to continue using I-Player?

The answer came:

Thank you for your enquiry. Due to the information you've given, I can confirm that you won't require a TV Licence. A licence is only required to watch/record live broadcast TV and/or stream/download programmes from BBC iPlayer.

To update this thread: I now have some official guidance obtained from the TV Licensing Centre.

I asked:

I have no TV. I never use I-Player to watch TV programmes either live or otherwise. I listen to radio both live and (via I-Player) otherwise. Must I buy a TV licence for my non-existent TV if I want to continue using I-Player?

The answer came:

Thank you for your enquiry. Due to the information you've given, I can confirm that you won't require a TV Licence. A licence is only required to watch/record live broadcast TV and/or stream/download programmes from BBC iPlayer.

Is one to assume they mean just tv programmes and radio programmes don't count?

Is one to assume they mean just tv programmes and radio programmes don't count?

Yes, that's the gist of it.

The bbc are talking of stopping the free license for the over 75s while paying some of their staff millions to sit on a sofa or playing daft music, talking a load of rubbish or flying all over the world to report on tales that are not relevant to us.